Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: So eh... anybody write?  (Read 7957 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So eh... anybody write?
« on: January 31, 2009, 01:09:54 am »

I want to know, do any of the forumers write? Like stories or poems or anything? I'd be interested in reading it if so.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: So eh... anybody write?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 01:15:21 am »

I've certainly tried.  Got an idea for a novella series I'll get off my ass and write someday.

Til then, I'm practicing with forums games.  That counts right?  I do a lot of writing.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 01:19:53 am »

A novella? What'd you plan on it being about?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 01:29:48 am »

Mercenaries, Afghans, war for oil, drug cartels.  An episodic series following a band of soldiers of fortune, roaming through the post-Cold War third world.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 01:39:20 am »

I have something of an Idea for a book too.

fictional world. Mechas. Pseudo-super science. decade long world war started by a crazy monarch. Said war is interrupted by an ancient mythical evil that pops up and fucks everybody. Sort of like Code Geass, except instead of focusing on a single character, it focuses more on how futile and dismal everyone's situation is.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 01:41:20 am »

I wrote a song once.

It was terrible.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 01:54:45 am »

Some ideas for a large world I planned to set some stuff in, but I have yet to agree on everything in it.

Some facts I DO have set in stone though:

-World war two was quite different

-The soviet union never fell

-There was a short lived second civil war in the United states.

-A fascist party formed in the USSR and caused some trouble before being driven out.

And that's really all that is set in stone.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 02:21:07 am »

I planned on writing novels...mostly Alternate History, Science Fiction, Military Science Fiction, some fantasy here and there, did I mention Alternate History?

'Cause thats important. But not another WWII, or Civil War book. Those have been done to death. I'm thinking something a little more complicated. Not sure what I'll pick.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 02:24:43 am »

Not really, I've only written a few short stories and if any of those see the light of day they will spontaniously combust, therefore by not releasing them, I'm doing humanity a favor.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 02:27:39 am »

My two-cent tip for people looking to write big picture, alternate history type stuff-  It's fine if you want to invent a world to tell the reader about, but avoid the boredom trap of writing a narrative encyclopedia.  Old sci-fi was like that, with cardboard characters who just existed to yak about their world for the reader's benefit.

If you're inventing a world, or even just writing about an obscure part of the real one, you can't go wrong by following some ground-level characters living in it, and building up from there with matter-of-fact descriptions.  Bolster that with the occasional bit of exposition for the logically arranged benefit of the characters themselves.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 02:46:43 am »

I wrote a fanfic about fanfics.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 02:52:10 am »

My two-cent tip for people looking to write big picture, alternate history type stuff-  It's fine if you want to invent a world to tell the reader about, but avoid the boredom trap of writing a narrative encyclopedia.

Ah ha, this I understand. I have been building a world to match the  story so to speak, not a story to explore the world. And in that vein I chose alternate history traits I would enjoy writing about, the main reason I made the USSR survive for one was so I could write about it and create that nice cold war tension.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 05:52:33 am »

I've attempted on a couple occasions.  Never really got anywhere. 

I suppose you could count the stuff I've been writing here as writing experience.  Death and Glory should at least be given honorable mention.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 07:53:31 am »

I write. My only success so far has been a short story in my college's lit. journal.

It's something I'd like to make a living at someday. I don't mean I want to be rich, which is nearly impossible as a writer. I just hope I can make a five figure income with it...which is also nearly impossible as a writer.  :)
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 08:07:59 am »

I'm practicing writing while running my RTD, plus the other project I'm still working out a system for.
I've got this whole world to write a story in, but the lead character seems to be too much of a Mary Sue. Which, as I understand, is usually bad.

Apart from that theoretical project, I've been practicing songs in my own incomprehensible manner. Is it normal to first make up a tune, then make up words to go with the tune, and only then make a story fitting to the words?

Interestingly, my worst marks in school were in literature class where we were frequently tasked with writing meaningful stuff of a certain length. I utterly failed at that. Yet I'm fairly alright when doing basically the same thing for myself, and usually a lot lengthier than a few pages' worth of text we were tasked with then.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: [1] 2 3 4