Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: So eh... anybody write?  (Read 7962 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: So eh... anybody write?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 12:36:21 am »

Like many, I've had aspirations to be a writer, and as I understand it, I'm somewhat competent at it. Except I have the fatal flaw of no motivation to write at all.

That said, the only thing I could see myself seriously writing is comedy, as I've done in the past.

Also, in my mandatory drama class I took in my senior year of high school, as part of an assignment, I wrote a short, ten minute play that was chosen amongst twelve others to be performed by members of the senior class. There was voting after the performances, and mine was voted second best, except that the competition wasn't that fierce, and the first place entry was a steaming pile of poorly written inside jokes that would only make sense to somebody who had an extensive high school experience of studying many major western philosophers, like everybody at the school had.

I'm also not proud to say I've dabbled in fan-fiction. Ewgghhg.

There are a lot of aspiring writers around here, huh? (Well, that's not really surprising; aspiring writers are a dime a dozen.) Anyways, I think it would be an interesting idea to have a forum-organized self-imposed writing challenge, where a bunch of people commit to write something, set deadlines for each other, and over the course of a long period of time, write out and polish a piece of writing. There could be peer-review over each step of the process, there would be offers of advice and constructive criticism, and all the people involved could help motivate each other to actually finish writing something.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 12:39:39 am »

I recently had an idea for a comic strip, but it's not a very developed idea as of yet.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 12:40:12 am »

Anyways, I think it would be an interesting idea to have a forum-organized self-imposed writing challenge, where a bunch of people commit to write something, set deadlines for each other, and over the course of a long period of time, write out and polish a piece of writing. There could be peer-review over each step of the process, there would be offers of advice and constructive criticism, and all the people involved could help motivate each other to actually finish writing something.

Sounds like a fantastic idea.  Not a "Forum Game, everybody add a line" type thing, but an actual workshop endeavor.  I'm on board.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 12:54:37 am »

I'd be on board with my idea, too, but I don't think I could actually run it. I would only want to be a participant. I think somebody with professional writing experience should run it so that it would mimic the professional writing process to some extent, or barring that, anyone who feels they're qualified and up for the job.

The point of it would be to take time out of your busy schedule to write, and write even when you don't have inspiration. Creativity under pressure and deadlines, pushing through writer's block, &c., &c.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 01:15:44 am »

I like the idea of a crazy forum writing challenge.

I've got a couple things going now. The first is an epic poem that's about my friend's mom's cooking and Poseidon and all that. It started when I was complaining about someone's poetry not rhyming and I decided to show them that poetry can rhyme.

The second is a generic story about an evil government that controls the entirety of society with an iron fist, and the story follows the leader of a rebel organization. It's inspired by Eragon. Now why would I write something generic on purpose, you ask? Well, it's set in an elementary school.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 01:16:26 am »

I think the main challange I face at this point, is avoiding taking to much inspiration from the stuff I read or watch or anything like that. People like to pick up tibbits, and it adds flare to stories, yes, and some stuff can induce a few laughs if used the right way. But you don't need something that has too many not-funny jokes about OTHER PEOPLES works of fiction.

So I need to work on not only forging my own worlds and characters, using my own imagination, but need to develope my OWN writing style. I need to create emotions, and characters in a setting that can stir the target readers. I need a world that can catch the eye of the passerby, so they pick up the book, and think, I want to read this.

Being a writer, is like a series of trial and error. And you don't learn anything unless you go out and live. A real life experience can create very nice inspiration for a story.

And some friendly advice from others helps aswell.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 01:39:46 am »

Anyways, I think it would be an interesting idea to have a forum-organized self-imposed writing challenge, where a bunch of people commit to write something, set deadlines for each other, and over the course of a long period of time, write out and polish a piece of writing. There could be peer-review over each step of the process, there would be offers of advice and constructive criticism, and all the people involved could help motivate each other to actually finish writing something.

Sounds like a fantastic idea.  Not a "Forum Game, everybody add a line" type thing, but an actual workshop endeavor.  I'm on board.

Why didn't I think of it first! It IS a great idea. I'd love to participate. Is their a website that would allow such writings to be documented and viewed? Or would here be best?

I swear, if someone doesn't create this, then I will, if only to force the thing into motion!

I think the main challange I face at this point, is avoiding taking to much inspiration from the stuff I read or watch or anything like that. People like to pick up tibbits, and it adds flare to stories, yes, and some stuff can induce a few laughs if used the right way. But you don't need something that has too many not-funny jokes about OTHER PEOPLES works of fiction.

So I need to work on not only forging my own worlds and characters, using my own imagination, but need to develope my OWN writing style. I need to create emotions, and characters in a setting that can stir the target readers. I need a world that can catch the eye of the passerby, so they pick up the book, and think, I want to read this.

Nothing's wrong with being inspired by others, every author is a culmination of everything that has ever inspired that author. One will develop their own writing style as a matter of course. So don't worry.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 01:44:25 am »

Nothing's wrong with being inspired by others, every author is a culmination of everything that has ever inspired that author. One will develop their own writing style as a matter of course. So don't worry.
[/quote]

Absolutely.  Everyone is inspired by other writing, and if you wind up with a similar style, run the style.  If you liked reading it, there's no reason not to write with it.  If you're worried about downright aping someone else's writing, try reading something completely different, and see how it effects your thinking.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 06:21:43 pm »

I'm in for a story competition - I have tried to write in the past, but it usually fizzles out. Be good to practice with some kind of deadline to motivate me.

All stories I (attempt to) write are all in the same universe. Closest thing I can think of to describe the way it works (not the genre) is the H.P. Lovecraft Universe - a lot of unconnected stories tied together by the setting (and in my case, one of the characters.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:06:38 pm by deadlycairn »
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 06:28:26 pm »

Make sure that the writing competion get tied to Lulu. Monetary incentives are a nice thing.

Projects:
---Novel where a ex-police officer wage war against a freedom-loving criminal organization
---Novel where Mary Sue get executed for crimes against humanity.
---Short Stories about how the world ends
---Non-Fiction Book on Religious Empires
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2009, 09:28:22 pm »

I write.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2009, 08:18:25 am »

I write a little bit in my spare time, but I'm really not good at it at all, and I rarely make it past the first chapter. I put up a few on fictionpress but they don't really get any attention, I only really put them up so a friend of mine can see them

Despite this, I'd be willing to join the writing challenge even if just to pick up some advice to get better
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2009, 04:56:25 pm »

I write (and I've been published a couple times, so I guess that means I'm no longer "aspiring"), but finding the time and the physical/mental energy to write a lot, are my biggest obstables.

If anyone wants to see an example (of shameless self-promotion), I've got a story going in the Community Stories forum, but here's a short piece that doesn't have anything to do with DF, that I haven't found the time/energy/motivation yet to continue:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For they would be your masters.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2009, 05:26:41 pm »

I write (and I've been published a couple times, so I guess that means I'm no longer "aspiring"), but finding the time and the physical/mental energy to write a lot, are my biggest obstables.

If anyone wants to see an example (of shameless self-promotion), I've got a story going in the Community Stories forum, but here's a short piece that doesn't have anything to do with DF, that I haven't found the time/energy/motivation yet to continue:

It's late for me, and I can't read it all just now, but as far as I can tell that is a beautiful piece of writing. Exquisite, Bravo etc.

I will read it all at work tomorrow!

Edit: Yeah, read it. Its very good if you ask me. I particularly liked this sentence:

"And the Suq, the silk-draped spider, casting it's nets for gold at the center of the beautiful city."
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 06:38:58 am by mendonca »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2009, 06:49:53 pm »

8)

It's nice to be able to share it, since I haven't shown it to too many people, and I'm glad you enjoy.

Edit: Thanks!

Yeah, I really should get around to continuing it, one of these days...  I pretty much know how it's going to go, too, atleast the next installment. It's just one of those things where I have to be in the right mood to do it, or it's not as much fun for me.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 04:06:04 am by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4