Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: So eh... anybody write?  (Read 7955 times)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
Re: So eh... anybody write?
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2009, 12:00:21 am »

As the elected Dungeon Master in my D&D group, I like to write stories that can adapt to people experiencing them. My current campaign involves a doppelganger spy following the players around, with the intent of assassination. I'm trying to think of a good plot twist, the PCs seem to have grown suspicious of her.

My players seem to enjoy my stories, and I often end up appending the start of the next adventure on to the end of the last. I am renowned for my morally ambiguous story, and the PCs usually end up changing sides on a conflict before resolving it.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2009, 01:27:07 am »

Have your doppelganger spy break into where they're sleeping kill bill-style!

That oughta be fun.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2009, 01:34:36 am »

Or Total Party Kill.

She's more badass than I thought the rules would allow. I mean seriously. A rogue + ranger pretty much makes a superstriker.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2009, 04:26:08 am »

If we're still on the subject of writing, then yes, I do. Frequently. Quite frequently. Not as much as I'd like to though, and the stories I've done are usually for personal practice and not terribly good or anything.

I've always wanted to write a science-fictiony story. Some of the more common ideas that pop into my head revolve around transhumanism, artificial intelligence, post-catastrophic and occasionally post-apocalyptic settings.

I don't really view a setting as post-apocalyptic until there is absolutely no hope for human survival. Fallout is not post-apocalyptic in my mind. More post-catastrophic. It's not the end, but a bottle neck through which mankind can still find new glory. Children of Men is post-apocalyptic. Even though civilization still exists and people in England at least can go about their daily lives, Mankind has already ended. No woman on earth is fertile and thus, there is no hope for mankind ever recovering. (Except for, you know... The plot)

I imagine a world in which humans have abandoned biological bodies, but not in the stereotypical sense. In the beginning, it began as brain transplantation into mechanical bodies. A great deal of gene therapy is continuously needed to keep the brain from deteriorating with age. As this progresses, the age at which transplants occur is continuously reduced until nearly immediately after the birth of a baby, from artificial wombs, it's brain is inserted into an extremely advanced mechanical body that is almost a perfect simulation of a human body, except that the flesh is faintly translucent and blue. It is capable of growth and adaptation and if necessary replacement.

I also envision the darker side. When the time calls for it, the head and brain can be swiftly transplanted into industrial labor bodies, and if necessary, heavy armor war machines.

In addition to that, not all humanity has made the switch of course. While the portion that has, most of the First World nations, excluding most of the central United States, have adopted this new method of living, the rest of the world is divided into HSS Nations, and HSC Nations. That is, Homo sapiens sapiens, what remains of us, and Homo sapiens communus, cheap knockoffs of the primary thranshumans whose bodies exist primarily by will of government authority in order to act as warriors and military police. They appear mostly mechanical, without any of the purely cosmetic enhancements made in the first world nations.

Don't know where I'm going with this. The above is basically the flow of thoughts as I go over the vision, nothing particularly solid.
!!&!!

MoonDancer

• Bay Watcher
  • Figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2009, 08:46:27 am »

I write poetry for the most part, but I am working on a story...I guess you would classifiy it as fantasy *shrugs* Doesn't really matter what it's called as long as I can write it.
Can I kill him? No? What about eating him? Can I eat him? No? Your no fun!

Go away! Your stupidity might be contagious.

http://karnash.wordpress.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]