Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hybrid armor (leather and metal)  (Read 2155 times)

grendel

Hybrid armor (leather and metal)
« on: January 09, 2007, 09:21:00 pm »

It would be pretty cool to have armor types that are a combination of leather and metal--for example, brigandine hauberks, studded leather jacks, and jazerant armor-- available for production at the forge.

Hybrid armor could be categorically lighter than chainmail (but less protective), and also less metal-intensive to produce, perhaps requiring only one bar for a chest piece. Hybrid armors could also be lighter than metal armor, which would be advantageous when outfitting one's scrawny little marksdwarves.

[ January 09, 2007: Message edited by: grendel ]

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hybrid armor (leather and metal)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:32:00 pm »

this could be done by adding to craft shops "stud with metal" option. so craftsdwarves would stud leather armours with metal or otherwise decorate random items with metal studs.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 04:08:00 pm »

There's some trickiness with items that are actually made from multiple materials.  Things like studding aren't as much of a problem, since the "improvements" on leather items can handle this.  But a lot of the in-game items should actually have several materials just for their basic structure, and it becomes harder to account for them.  Armok I played with making items up from components, but that was sort of a mess.  On the other hand, I'd want to avoid going through all the hassles of fully respecting a half-leather/half-metal item (with respect to things like weight and temperature effects) if I'm just going to flesh it out more later.  So, I dunno.  I have to think more about what items will be like if I change it.  Something like how it keeps track of threads and dyes might work for quite a long time (I think you can change the material of a bucket handle right now for instance), but certain items really don't have one main material, which is the problem.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 10:39:00 am »

Perhaps a reinforce option could be introduced?

Say you tell your smith to reinforce some armour with bronze. He picks up some leather armour and does the work. Then the description would read "...blah blah it has been (quality) reinforced with bands of bronze". The defence would increase, but so would weight. Maybe this  way we can create custom armours in terms of weight and material. Perhaps there would be a maximum number of reinforcements, maybe 2. Whatever stops it from being unbalanced.