Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interface hullaballoo  (Read 2023 times)

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interface hullaballoo
« on: February 15, 2009, 10:57:52 pm »

I'm sure all this has been brought up before, but I'm just bumping it to the top. I love all the extra meat and bones stuff Toady is adding, but there are some zits on the skin that need some popping -- these are the ones that get under my skin... :

(Kick me if these are already on the to do/done list)

1. unify "Farming" profession name: It's called "Grower" on the embark menu, Farming (Fields) on the p>l menu... was there ever a Farming (Something else) option?
2. display gender on the assign animal to chain/cage list.

3. Maybe some count of bars on the first level forge q menu? This might get annoying if you've got a huge bar stockpile, but if I'm making doodads for my favorites' rooms, I'd like to know at a glancier glance how much rose gold v. aluminum I have.

4. Is it possible to give caged invaders a different tag from 'invader'? I find myself attempting to center on a ambush group from the Units menu, and getting repeatedly sent to my own dining hall, where last years' attempts are hanging out... ;-)

Anything else?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 01:38:02 pm by Chromie »

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Menu Housekeeping
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 11:12:07 pm »

This was on my mind when I initially started a topic on the Suggestions thread >.>

Reclaimable cloth. The Loom or the Clothier's Shop could take x units of giant cave spider silk loincloth and create one Cave Spider Silk Cloth (of whatever quality level, depending on his weaving/clothesmaking skill, whichever...

I just lost two dwarfs to moods for want of silk cloth -- and my fort is filthy with the rags of invaders....

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 11:52:07 am »

1. unify "Farming" profession name: It's called "Grower" on the embark menu, Farming (Fields) on the p>l menu... was there ever a Farming (Something else) option?
This bugs me, too. Not only do the skill, labor, and profession all have different names, but everyone in the food and cloth industry gets the autorank "Farmer" if they have multiple skills. This confused me to no end before I discovered custom professions.

2. display gender on the assign animal to chain/cage list.
A thousand times yes. I want all my females running around dropping offspring, but I need that male to stay on his chain.

3. Maybe some count of bars on the first level forge q menu? This might get annoying if you've got a huge bar stockpile, but if I'm making doodads for my favorites' rooms, I'd like to know at a glancier glance how much rose gold v. aluminum I have.
This is a very minor convenience. I find no trouble keeping track of my metal stores, though I tend to say "I want six chains," then check which metals I can use for that and assign it with the manager.

4. Is it possible to give caged invaders a different tag from 'invader'? I find myself attempting to center on a ambush group from the Units menu, and getting repeatedly sent to my own dining hall, where last years' attempts are hanging out... ;-)
It would be nice if they would change to simply "Hostile" once their group is disrupted.

Reclaimable cloth. The Loom or the Clothier's Shop could take x units of giant cave spider silk loincloth and create one Cave Spider Silk Cloth (of whatever quality level, depending on his weaving/clothesmaking skill, whichever...
You can buy silk from the caravans. If they're not bringing it for some reason, ask the liason. It's well worth the price.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 12:04:31 pm »

Would you please rename and tag your post with "[Interface]"?

Yeah, the interface needs an overhaul, and this is on the dev list. It is however of low priority since Toady (we've been told) does not want to waste time of things that will need to be redone again since the game may change radically.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 12:16:23 pm »

I like the bar count idea, although I would refine it to show the number of "available" bars (not tasked, forbidden, melt-designated, etc.).  That would be a nice touch whenever the interface does get reworked.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 01:38:32 pm »

Sorry I'm new to foruming -- how do I tag a post?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 02:00:47 pm »

Sorry I'm new to foruming -- how do I tag a post?
Use the special tagging device attached to your computer ;)
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interface hullaballoo
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 02:21:06 pm »

Tagging in this forum means just changing the title and sticking the recommended text (always in square brackets) at the front.

Honest to goodness tags would be a godsend for searching, but there's also the wiki, which has far better searching and organization abilities.  The wiki and forum really ought to reference each other more.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Re: Interface hullaballoo
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 02:25:09 am »

/signed

Probably been suggested 1000 times before, but I'd like the forge to only list those metals you've got rather than just listing them all. Perhaps even have greyed out metals listed for those that you have the ores to make.

And yes, I am also finding it hard to locate all the free gobbos amongst those in my cages.