Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarves can fail  (Read 41993 times)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves can fail
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2009, 04:19:48 pm »

That's true--magma forges change the game, but I'd be fine with that.

I don't think we would "lose" adamantine. It's virtually indestructible, right?

As for star sapphires/star rubies, here's where finer controls would be nice. Set the star sapphire/ruby to only be cut/set by a legendary, and things will go just fine, right?
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2009, 04:22:35 pm »

As for star sapphires/star rubies, here's where finer controls would be nice. Set the star sapphire/ruby to only be cut/set by a legendary, and things will go just fine, right?
I could have sworn someone mentioned that this had been suggested before and zealously argued against.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2009, 06:00:15 pm »

Quote from: legolord
I could have sworn someone mentioned that this had been suggested before and zealously argued against.
Finer control over which materials get used in which jobs and by who, has been opposed by who, and why? Do you have a link or quote?

"Zealously argued against" isn't the same as "proven to be a bad idea" or even "rejected by a clear majority."

I don't see how the game is going to be broken by such a feature, even if it is partially redundant to workshop profiles. More fleshed out workshop profiles would be a nice way to have more control over how our resources get used, and wouldn't be a burden on the players who don't use profiles. I don't want to have to lock the jeweler in a room, with the things I want encrusted, but life goes on.

--and as magma grows more unstable and dangerous, I think the benefit of all that "free" energy, for forging and smelting, will balance out. Even the promised respawning fire imps are a step towards that. Geothermal power shouldn't be a cure all, but is nice to see an alternative to carbon fuels. in the game.

Is the goal to make training dwarves more realistic, to make it more fun, or to make it more difficult? Different people will want different things out of the game, and balancing those desires is no easy task, but I firmly believe it can be done.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2009, 06:15:19 pm »

Oh, my bad, misread the post.  But still, realistic, non-irritating failures are already in the game.  If any rough gem can be cut to a large gem, then logic should tell you that when you do not get a large gem that is a failure.  If a legendary dwarf can get a stone out of every tile he digs, then that should tell you a novice miner is failing when he digs a tile and does not get a stone out of it.  Fishermen fail to catch a fish, or in extremes, die.  Brewing . . . it's hard to see how that can be failed.  Meals are not good; they do not provide a happy thought.  Stonecrafters might get only one craft instead of three from a stone.  One may fail to place a support before digging out a circular channel in the roof.  The swordsman fails to block a blow or hit a target.  A metalsmith uses the entire bar of coke instead of just using a little.  The list goes on and on.

If item fraction ever go in, it should be fairly simple.  For example, a legendary metalsmith can use a bar of coke five times, a beginner can use it once.  Metal bars would not be split like this, as this could be a huge headache to manage.

On the subject of stone, I've always thought that instead of a large, single boulder, one "stone" item was just a mound of usable stone; enough and in large enough sizes to make a chair, cabinet, door, what have you.  They would not just be carving a cabinet out of a huge boulder.  They could make mistakes.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2009, 07:07:25 pm »

Brewing . . . it's hard to see how that can be failed.

Are you serious?

If item fraction ever go in, it should be fairly simple.  For example, a legendary metalsmith can use a bar of coke five times, a beginner can use it once.  Metal bars would not be split like this, as this could be a huge headache to manage.

I would _love_ splitting metal bars - not for skill, since failures can always be melted back down - but for finer-grained material use for different sized objects. I made a proposal on how this could be managed without headaches.

Since bars have no quality, restacking could solve everything by itself.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2009, 07:09:07 pm »

Brewing . . . it's hard to see how that can be failed.

Are you serious?
Dwarves, remember?  They're probably taught all about the process in their childhoods.
Just so I remember

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2009, 07:23:02 pm »

Dwarves, remember?  They're probably taught all about the process in their childhoods.

Spoken as someone who has never played a fortress with any other species. If that's true, it should be reflected as giving every adult dwarf an appropriate skill level for free, not as making failure impossible. Maybe a [ALWAYS_SKILLED:BREWER:4] in the entity raw. But that's ridiculous - in any medieval-ish society there's going to be a lot of specialization - why should someone learning to be a miner also learn how to brew alcohol?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 07:25:16 pm by Random832 »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2009, 07:29:08 pm »

They wouldn't learn how to do it, just what the process is; enough so that they can figure out how to do it without botching it up.

And don't be so quick to assume I haven't played as non-dwarves.  I have played as kobalds and the LEGO mod civs before.  One of those doesn't even need to drink.  Or eat, for that matter.
Just so I remember

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2009, 08:00:36 pm »

I think I've already made my points as clear as I can. If I were to go through and reiterate them, I'd have to repeat myself a whole lot.

But, for the record, if a melee dwarf messes up, s/he dies. Failing to block a strike means you will die. Landing off-balance means that you will die. Only by luck, extreme agility, and failures on the other end would anyone survive. And in a dedicated army, these failures would be unacceptable--you would be sent right back to train some more. Remember: in combat, failure of most any sort means death. I cannot emphasize that enough.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2009, 09:09:50 pm »

There seems to be an incredible aversion to risk in a lot of people against this idea. Personally, I think it would be awesome. Especially the bit about poorly made bridges collapsing. I think this sort of thing would be absolutely needed for some of the more in depth stuff later for DF. There's this mental image of an adventurer looking at a bridge, and getting an ominous description about it's very questionable craftmanship....

But honestly I think this should wait until taks get more work done on them. As they are, they're very abstract, and there needs to be more detail in skill building and more meaning to that in general. The fact that a peasent can churn out great works of chisled art in a years time doesn't make much sense, and I think that needs to be ironed out before anything more detailed is thrown in.

As an aside, there does need to be sort of 'innate' skills that vary between individuals and races. A legendary dwarven armorer should make armor that would be truly beyond the hopes of a random ditchdigger human or treehugging elf.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2009, 09:49:03 pm »

As an aside, there does need to be sort of 'innate' skills that vary between individuals and races. A legendary dwarven armorer should make armor that would be truly beyond the hopes of a random ditchdigger human or treehugging elf.

Of course, an elven armorsmith should be a natural at making wooden armor, but not metal armor.  Dwarves would be the other way around.
Just so I remember

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2009, 10:01:19 pm »

Isn't this what preferences are supposed to do, at least in part.

A race that can prefer a particular type of metal will produce better smiths.

More things to help the races get better at their specialties would be nice, particularly if skills were harder to get, making those bonuses worth more, for longer.

As to the failure possibility:

It's not a question of risk; It's a question of possibility.

Right now, a group of dwarves, with careful management, and a lot of luck, can survive in almost any climate. Making that proposition harder, or riskier, or more arduous is all well and good, but don't sacrifice those precious possibilities.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2009, 10:38:01 pm »

The problem with this idea is that it makes management a bother for the player; it means that after ordering something done, a tunnel dug or a bridge built, you have to constantly check back to see whether it was accomplished successfully or failed (there's some of that in the game already with cancellations, but it's more rare and already considered an issue in many cases.)  That sounds like fun and exciting when you have seven dwarves, yeah.  When you have two-hundred and are trying to focus on something else, it's a nightmare...  tracking and reversing cancellations is enough of a bother already without adding this.

Things that constantly demand the player's attention should be considered carefully before being suggested.  Yes, it's easy to say that the game is too easy now and there's not enough to do -- but that's because it's incomplete.  Later on there will be external wars to fight, colonies to run, more intelligent siegers to fight off, diplomacy and all sorts of other things.  Despite how it may seem -- and despite the amount we have in the game right now -- micromanagement is not really something that Dwarf Fortress is supposed to have; that's why you don't give orders to your dwarves individually, generally.  And handling the failure of individual building and tasks is very much something that would introduce more micromanagement.

Certain kinds of catastrophic failures are abstracted out, in the same way that much of the detail of actual mining (elaborate supports, careful planning and elaborate considerations to avoid cave-ins every time you swing your pick) are abstracted out -- when you order a bridge built or an item constructed, you are telling your dwarves "Get this done eventually no matter what", and they eventually will, though it may take a bit longer for an unskilled dwarf.  Basically, in an abstract sense, an unskilled worker takes longer because they screw up and start over -- and they generally use up more resources or produce less end result because they waste some in this process.  This represents the importance of skill without forcing the player to micromanage individual successes and failures.

The game should be realistic, but it should also be fun to play.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2009, 12:16:27 am »

I actually like the idea of failures as a general behind the scenes part.  It should not apply to any build job in terms of collapse or loss of materials.  Making the job move a little slower would be acceptable, but buildings just have to work.

My take on how to implement it goes along with something that has bugged many of us since the beginning.  A 700L stone produces 5 mugs each with a 1L weight.  Where did the other 695L go?  I will get back to this at some point.

First, dwarves are gaining some levels of natural stats in the next version.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second, failures should give experience.

Third, gets back to that question of where the other 695L went.
Smelting:
Smithing:
Brewing:
Cooking:
Gem cutting:
Decorating is basically the same as encrusting.
Engraving could produce marred images and bad likenesses.
Obsian shortswords:

Fourth, along with critical failures there needs to be critical successes.

Fifth, any system that realizes artificial losses from failures has to have different grades of failures.

Sixth, the change ends the simple this job takes 100000 frames/agility/skill and that job takes 80000 frames/agility/skill.

Seventh, the steps involved any job can be totally abstract.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 02:10:57 am by Veroule »
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2009, 12:46:47 am »

Massive text block, hard to read, make summary for dummies?
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15