Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Writing Workshop!  (Read 18600 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Writing Workshop!
« on: February 01, 2009, 08:51:48 pm »

Once upon a time, as night fell over the hills and valleys of Michigan, Joshua, our rugged and handsome protagonist, was lounging comfortably in his rural home. Bored, he sat in front of his PC and went to the Bay 12 Games Forum, his favorite online forum.
Being familiar with the territory, Joshua swiftly made his way through the boards and checked up on the latest happenings in his favourite threads. The particular wit and intelligence of this forum's populace made it an attractive place to discuss, debate, and joke.
Something troubled Joshua on this day however, troubled him most deeply. One of Joshua's latest thread's has yielded an idea of epic proportions, an idea to create a community writing workshop, to forge the latent talent hidden within this place's forumers, where they will be supported and motivated to write, instead of dawdling about nonproductively.
However, no one has taken the initiative to create such a workshop, and this troubles Joshua. He is faced with a dilemma, should he or should he not create it, to spur the forumers into motion or wait for a messiah, with more expertise then He? After much deliberation, he knows he must do what must be done! He will cross the rubicon and never look back!

He goes to the forum's Various Nonsense board and clicks "NEW TOPIC"

He titles it 'Writing Workshop!' with exclamation point for added emphasis on how important this will be. He introduces his starting post by writing a shitty story, believing the irony to be welcoming to the specific brand of people that will be posting. From there, he outlines the somewhat lax rules and expectations, but makes it clear that only the serious should apply, for this is where the "Aspiring Writers" will prove their worth by showing their talent to the community!

Joshua remains tentative about this notion of his, about this course of action, but believes it ultimately necessary. After writing all that is essential, he points his mouse at the button underneath the text field, and clicks "Post".

Yes, after being inspired by my other topic, summed up with this quote:

Anyways, I think it would be an interesting idea to have a forum-organized self-imposed writing challenge, where a bunch of people commit to write something, set deadlines for each other, and over the course of a long period of time, write out and polish a piece of writing. There could be peer-review over each step of the process, there would be offers of advice and constructive criticism, and all the people involved could help motivate each other to actually finish writing something.

and so, I've decided to make this.

Post if your on board, designate exactly what you plan to be writing (a poem, a short story, a chapter, etc), and how long you believe it will take you. Be realistic, but remember, we're all in this together, and we'll be holding you to your word.

I'm not sure exactly sure if their is a website that will host our writings and allow us to view and critique them. I'm not particularly knowledgeable in that respect, so speak up if you have an idea, otherwise, post it anywhere where we can openly view it.

Any type of writing is accepted, so don't feel left out, but you must show your work, and leave it open to criticism. Constructive criticism is the most appreciated, of course.

If you have a serious intention to write in your lifetime, then prove it here.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Workshop!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 08:54:44 pm »

www.lulu.com

Or, you can try NaNo, but I don't have the link. (EDIT: got it. www.nanowrimo.org)

If this is going to be a "WRITE WRITE WRITE!" I'm going to need some encourgement for my little book on religious empires.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:01:57 pm »

Can't we just write it on here instead of going on some other site?

I just realised that if we get a lot of sign-ups that actually manage to write something that may not work - unless we aim to surpass Nist Akath in size.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:09:08 pm »

I'm in, I do short stories. I could already submit a few!  ;D
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 09:39:25 pm »

www.lulu.com

Or, you can try NaNo, but I don't have the link. (EDIT: got it. www.nanowrimo.org)

If this is going to be a "WRITE WRITE WRITE!" I'm going to need some encourgement for my little book on religious empires.

I've taken a look at both of those, and I simply cannot figure out how to look at anyone's writing. NanoWrimo also might not be appropriate, because the whole website is based on the "write a 50,000 word novel in a month" idea.

And of course you'll be encouraged, that's the whole idea of writing together instead of alone.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 09:45:32 pm »

Let us concern ourselves with moving to a different site when this one can no longer bear our efforts.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 09:55:18 pm »

Yeah, let's post everything here for now. Spoiler it if you think it's long enough to require that, and put it in multiple posts if it's really long (you'll know when it tells you it's too long for one post).

I have half of the first chapter of my only serious work so far done, and once I'm done revising this huge paper (due a week from tomorrow) I can get working on it. My RTD takes a lot of my writing time up, so I'll be a little slow.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 09:59:22 pm »

Yeah, I suppose we can play this one by ear.

I suppose I'll start the momentum on this workshop by declaring my first writing. I'll be writing a short story, maybe 2 or 3 pages in length, based on a daydream I had some time ago. It'll probably only take me 2 days to articulate the entire thing.

I'm looking forward to seeing yours, Penguinofhonor.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 10:32:20 pm »

I'll have a 2-3 page short story done tonight, started after I posted  ;D
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 10:42:10 pm »

I've taken a look at both of those, and I simply cannot figure out how to look at anyone's writing.

Oh. www.fanfiction.com is the place you want to go.

I was wondering of ways to provide encourgment, hence those two sites. Lulu.com in particular provides monetary incentive if you like vanity publishing. And providing spoilers for my work, might not exactly, er, work. Some of the stuff I'm writing aren't exactly...well...interesting. Mostly dry academic stuff.

I mean, I wrote a full chapter on an African religious empire, but that's about it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 10:49:00 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 11:27:32 pm »

Look at how popular J.R.R Tolkiens works were. Not all stories have to be action packed.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 11:37:59 pm »

We'll have to give Nist a run for its money. If I get a chance, I'll type something up. Maybe.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 11:40:01 pm »

First Entry Enjoy! Not my best, but meh. Needs some editing.

Arson
By Little

Jason Larson smiled a smile that didn’t fit his face at all as he bent over the porch, can of gas extended in his hands. The night was dark, the only light he had was from the moon’s pale light, the house was black, and the gasoline smelled good. He stepped back on the dry wood, not worried about any signs he was leaving behind. He poured gas over his muddy foot prints, and takes a step towards the house, splashing gas on the walls of the building. He fumbles a book of matches out of his pocket, dropping the can of gas. He looked up, and the glass glinted. A sliding door. Easy to break, and probably not alarmed. Jason stood still for a moment, weighing his decision. He could leave now, never lighting a single red head, or he could shatter the door. Beyond would be combustible living rooms, flammable kitchens…

He picked up the can of gas and threw it at the glint. The door shattered with a loud noise, and Jason held his breath. He looked at the neighbouring houses, which could be mistaken for abandoned. Nobody looked out, and no lights turned on. He was okay. Jason reaches in through the gaping hole and finds a small lever. He flips it and tugs on a smooth metal handle. The door slides soundlessly. Jason smiles and steps inside, his black business shoes patting down the carpet.

He retrieves the can of gas, and flicks on a light. He squints for a moment or tow,, examining where he was. The room has a large couch, soft carpet, and a TV system with an admirable selection of game systems hooked up to it. On the far side of the room, next to two wooden doors is a large foosball table. On the wall across from the door is a mirror, with a cute note hung above it reading ‘WIPE YOUR SHOES’. Jason looks like a mess. He’s pale, black hair greasy from lack of a shower, and a layer of stubble covering his chin. His tie is loose, red and black pattern covered with pine needles acquired from when Jason leaped through a hedge to reach his jackpot. His office attire is slicked with mud, and his shoes are covered with smears of gas. Jason casts nagging doubts out of his mind and begins pouring gas onto the couch…

Jason ran out of gas after the living room and the hallways, so he raided the garage for more ‘supplies’. After pouring various liquids out of various cans all marked with ‘DANGER: CONTENT FLAMMABLE’ onto the floors and furniture of the dining room, master bedroom, boiler room(which, unbeknownst to Jason, contained a large cylinder filled with roughly five hundred galleons of heating oil) and something that looked like a palace converted to a walk-in closet, Jason fled back out onto the porch. He sniffs, detecting an odd musk under the odour of gas. He realizes it’s the smell of paint-thinner, emanating off him. It’s what he drenched the master bedroom in. Four empty cans of paint thinner lay discarded at the foot of a wooden staircase, numerous empty cans of gas scattered throughout the house, and a few empty cans of 10W30 oil piled on the maple table in the now oil-soaked dining room. Jason snickers, think, ‘The Saudi’s should come and plant a few wells in their dining room.’ He fishes the tattered book of matches back out of his pocket and draws out a single wooden stick. He draws in a shaky breath.

Why was he doing this? He had a job, a nice apartment, and didn’t normally like lighting things on fire in the earliest hours of the morning. He had just been walking to his car when he had spied a nice looking house, and the thought, ‘I wonder what it would look like on fire.’ had flown through his mind like a hurricane. He had looked the driveway, and there were no cars or recent marks. He figured they were on vacation, and before he had even completed the thought, another had popped in. This one was, ‘Just a little fire. Just a little one…’ and Jason had decided he had absolutely no business lighting anything on fire. Jason’s mind threw up a few counter arguments (which Jason, for the life of him, couldn’t remember now) and before he had known it, he was standing on the porch clutching a can of gas.

He sighed, wondered aloud what the hell he was doing, and struck the match. He dropped it onto the dry wooden porch and began to run. He feels alive.

___

Jason sat at his desk, gripping a cup of Starbuck’s coffee like it was a life buoy. His little cubicle was messy, and very plain, except for the few pictures Jason had put up. A picture of his family (Mom, Dad, and his brother, Mitch) a few funny quotes, and a calendar with a pictures of beautiful cars. He had groaned when the alarm had woken him up at 7:45 that morning. His head had been pounding, and he smelled like gas, although he couldn’t remember why. When he was taking a shower, he had remembered. In shock, he had almost called 911, but arson was something you get put away for, even if you plead temporary insanity.  While he shaved and put on fresh clothes, he wondered what the hell he was going to do. He had checked the news before leaving, and a suburban house exploding was the top story. Police said they had suspects, and that it was almost certainly arson. The word suspects had sent chills up his spine,  not used to the paranoia of that word associated with him. He shudders and spins his chair around to face his monitor. Elder needed a report by tomorrow. Jason cast all thoughts of his crime out of his mind with some difficulty, and tries to focus on his work.

___

Mark Johnson looked over the scorched remains of what used to be a auto-repair shop with a shake of his head. You could hardly tell it used to be a building, let alone a repair shop. They had cordoned off the area, and were combing it for clues. This was the fourth arson in the past three months, and Mark was getting worried. Each time was a more intense blaze, more calculated. Although mark had busted bigger cases then this, it still made him nervous when an arsonist was out there. He ducks under the yellow tape and walks over to a rookie, who was kneeled over and looking at a section of black earth intently. He walks up to the rookie (who obviously wasn’t with his Arson Unit, his men were much more professional) and flashes a winning smile.

“Mark Johnson, Arson Unit. What’d you find there?”
The rookie looks up, picking up what looks like what used to be part of a blasting cap. He gently rubs off a thin layer of charcoal, and smiles. A blearily smudge is on the piece of plastic.

“Mr. Johnson, I think I found a fingerprint.”

___

Jason taps a few keys on the time frantically. His forehead was beaded with sticky drops of sweat. This was his fifth ‘outing’ as he called them. Each time, the rush was bigger, and each time was a little more complex. He had gone from gas and matches to blasting caps and professional accelerants to timed charges. Each one drained his bank account progressively more as his equipment became more difficult to acquire, but Jason had stopped caring. He was on the roof of General Auto’s regional manufacturing and administration plant. He had attached a charge to one of the six massive oil tanks that powered the plant. He was ten stories up, and he could hear the faint blare of cars below. He felt giddy. He flicked the timer, set it for ten minutes and pressed the START button. He ran to the rickety elevator that had brought him up here, and it took him down five stories. He calmly stepped out of the rickety elevator and entered the normal one beside it. A businessman holding a black suitcase ran to catch the elevator. Jason cursed under his breath as the man run in, the doors reopening as they detected movement. The doors shut as the man ran his curious eyes over Jason.

The man says, “You don’t look so good. You okay?”
Jason replies, “Yeah.”
“You sure?”
“Yeah…”

Jason sighs with relief as the man leaves on the fourth floor. He looks at his watch, eight minutes and ten seconds left. He rushes out of the elevator as it reaches the first floor, pushing past several well-attired businessmen and a few rough-looking engineers. The small group looks after him as he darts around the corner. He looks around, and spots what he was looking for: a fire-alarm. He pulls it and starts running towards the front exit. He knows the assembly lines and computers would shut down, and the building would be evacuated. He would never actually kill someone. Jason sprints towards the exit, being joined by a panicking horde of office workers. He glances at his watch as he gets outside. Six minutes left.

___

Five minutes later, the large crowd that was formed of the evacuees was getting restless. Several line workers were loudly wondering if they got overtime pay for the time they wasted, while administration workers were complaining about missed appointments. Jason worriedly glanced at his watch. Less then thirty seconds left. As he eagerly watched the building, a hand clasps his shoulder. Jason spins around, startled. A kind looking man is holding out a wallet and smiling calmly. A card labelled with ‘Sergeant-Johnson’ is next to a gleaming police badge. The undercover cop says, “Mark Johnson, with the Arson Unit. Mr. Larson, we have a few questions that we’d like answered-”

The building explodes in a cataclysmic explosion of fire, spraying debris into the crowd. Several people scream, and the crowd lurches away from the building as fast as possible. Jason decides to run with them, but before he can do so, he is tackled by three more undercover cops. His head slams into the pavement. His head feels dizzy, but he can still feel his arms being handcuffed. Jason sighs as debris rains down and the pillar of fire slowly begins to diminish.

___

Jason Larson was sentenced to twenty years in prison for five charges of arson, destruction of personal property, possession of illegal materials, multiple charges related to debris wounds, and resisting arrest. He begged temporary insanity, but it was not granted. The media covered his case, and wrote him off as another insane arsonist. Their coverage matched the attitude. The police searched his filthy apartment and found twelve more charges…

Jason’s closing statement in the case was, “I don’t know what came over me. I would’ve never harmed anyone, I swear…”

He was unavailable for interview, which isn’t good, because I woke up last night smelling like gas. The news is covering a massive fire which consumed multiple beach houses, and I can’t recall where I was last night. The voices in my head aren’t my own…
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:20:33 pm by Little »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 11:42:32 pm »

Since it was my brilliant idea, I guess I'll have to join.

I guess I will start by writing a short story, maybe twenty or thirty pages in length, and I will post the first draft at the first available opportunity on the 9th of February, a Monday, and then the final draft the first available opportunity on the 16th of February, the Monday after that.

I would encourage people who are somewhat hesitant because they think their schedules are too busy to give it a go anyway; with a self-imposed deadline, I think some might be surprised how much time they can find when under pressure.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 11:53:03 pm »

I guess I'll try and write somthing.. I never realy have writen any thing besides bios for a few characters in comunity forts and things.. But I could try my hand at this. Expect a story up in a week or two =] Perhaps less.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12