Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Worldgen cliffs  (Read 5126 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worldgen cliffs
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:53:39 pm »

Sadly, I am merely a novice at using the search function.

Is there any way to get back the cliffs from previous versions, such as 39? Mountain maps there usually had large sections of the map isolated from each other by cliffs, with ramps being rare such that there were interesting possibilities using stairs and constructed ramps to allow or deny access to certain areas of the map.

Morr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cliffs
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 08:04:59 pm »

Cliffs are sadly very rare.

Finding a spot with extreme height differences sometimes has no-rampy cliffs. I guess you can fiddle with the world gen, but don't really know abou that.

BirdoPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 08:56:07 pm »

I'm not completely sure, but I think turning erosion off during worldgen makes for some pretty shear cliffs.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:45:16 pm »

They will be steeper, but still connected by ramps  :(
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 09:59:49 pm »

Well, I uploaded a 40d map with very steep cliffs a while back with several nice features. Though there are ramps all the way up the cliff, I am sure you could find interesting things to do with it. And can always remove the Ramps to restrict access.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=717 Heres the link to it, if you want to give it a try.

How to get things like this is increase Elevation variance, and turn of periodic erosion and also lower the erosion count. Though even then, finding good cliffs can still be hard.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 01:15:55 am »

It ends up being a horrible ton of work to remove all those cliffs while still leaving the map depot-accessible. It involves building floors to cover up ramps at the edge of the map since the (Z) remove up stairs\ramps too doesn't work at the edge of the map. Plus, you need at least 3 unobstructred tiles of floor side by side to keep that particular z-level depot accessible, and the natural ramps usually end up leaving 1-2 tiles of ground per z-level. :(

I've also been interested in learning to stop the rampy menace from appearing on my maps, but messing with erosion cycle count and the "periodically erode extreme cliffs" option did not help at all--something works fundamentally different in worldgen in 40d as opposed to 39f or whatever.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 03:23:07 am »

Gen a world in one of the older versions, and then copy it over the latest version. They are cross compatible, so this will work.

Then you get to enjoy all the benefits of 40d# with some nice, 'naturally' steep cliffs right out of the box ^_^

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 05:19:38 am »

Very clever. The most obvious answers are the ones you never think of.

Well, I uploaded a 40d map with very steep cliffs a while back with several nice features. Though there are ramps all the way up the cliff, I am sure you could find interesting things to do with it. And can always remove the Ramps to restrict access.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=717 Heres the link to it, if you want to give it a try.

How to get things like this is increase Elevation variance, and turn of periodic erosion and also lower the erosion count. Though even then, finding good cliffs can still be hard.

can you direct me to the fabled 4x4 sight?

Morberis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 06:57:11 am »

It seems to me that in the current version cliffs without ramps are caused by the erosion of rivers that don't make it into the final map because of the re-routing that goes on in the generation.

At least after a vast amount of generations it seems to be to me.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 04:55:54 pm »

Yeah, rivers can make some pretty nice cliffs, though they usually won't get higher than 10 z-levels tall, and that's only if they run through a mountain or something.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 06:52:10 pm »

can you direct me to the fabled 4x4 sight?

Just do a search for a 4x4 area with flux, underground river, magma pipe and HFS.

It was the first spot that always showed up for me.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 10:39:58 am »

Yeah, rivers can make some pretty nice cliffs, though they usually won't get higher than 10 z-levels tall, and that's only if they run through a mountain or something.

I agree with unintelligent in that rivers can produce nice, straight cliffs. If you look hard enough you might even find two rivers running parallel so as to create a nice slice down the middle for playing with. Look for two rivers that join up like this:

Code: [Select]
|====
======

One of my favourite forts was placed on a 2x3 section like this. It was nearly an exactly square fort that allowed me to make the north river (which was level with the highest z-level) run through two wide channels down either side of my fort to the south river which was about 10 levels below. I made had plans to create a nearly hollow tower both up into the sky and down into the earth, but I got incredibly bored with it...!

Morberis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 12:14:21 pm »

I've found cases where it looks like there used to be a waterfall on a mountain. The fall is several Z layers in the shape of a half V, no slopes. Usually at the bottom and on some of the surrounding Z layers there will be no slopes.

In fact I have a save file where it goes cliffs (no slopes, old waterfall), chasm, brooke start, magma.

I've run into it several times where there are no slopes at ground level, in all cases it had the dried up waterfall. 

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 12:22:09 pm »

Hi!

Actually, I have found that cliffs are not that rare in the current version, provided you are willing to look for them. Rivers are a good source of course, and you may wish to experiment with diverging river numbers: If you have more rivers before than after erosion, you have the rivers terra-form and then disappear. I haven't checked it yet, but it could probably help with finding nice and interesting cliffs.

Deathworks

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 12:37:29 pm »

I've found maps filled with 3 level cliffs over 3 level cliffs, making a sort of jagged unusable "stairs" to the higher ground where it still had parts of the edge "touching" the lower ground, so there were sections of cliff wall that were 6/9 or so levels high.

I think one of the regional views deals with the "steepness" of said cliffs.
Pages: [1] 2