Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What kind of epic can you imagine in the potential of the coming release?  (Read 7573 times)

Caretaker Eric

• Bay Watcher
  • You do the voodoo that you do.
    • View Profile

Please review Toady's current dev list so you can stay within the boundaries of the coming release.

--------------------------------------

My fellow forum-goers, I had a revelation just a moment ago. I had a thought of thoughts, a visual of visuals, the kind of orgasmic beauty one can only find in the most perfect of perfect moments.

I imagined this:

Sit back and imagine, if you will, a beautiful fortress. Extending high into the sky, glass towers and Obsidian walls, a sheen and shine incomparable to even the most prized of refracting prisms. The goblin problem is not a problem. The heroes of this legendary fortress, with rivers of magma and aqua dancing together in a beautiful waterfall of several levels.

The cats of this nation-state have their own realm, to live in an awkward harmony with their adoptive owners, +5 Legendary Butchers, and their wives. Babies and children, happy as any bebearded dwarf can be. Every last rocky wall, of course the internal sort, without the glass decorate, would be engraved with the epic stories of megabeasts.

This is all, of course, a prelude to my thought. Imagine, my scholarly peers, an onslaught of one. A monster, beautiful as she is terrible, the stony gaze of one who turns the admirer to stone. She creeps in during the night, prepared as any sentient snake-like woman of striking death could be. Cunning and articulate in her conversations with her marble affectionate earth-men.

The legendary Urist McHammers comes screaming down a staircase to meet the one-threat siege. At the peak of his raised hammer, he is solidified. Completely to stone, our hero stands. A light kiss to his lips, and a quick whip to his hips, he is destroyed as no organic can be destroyed.

She murders in this fashion every onlooker and attacker, all the time always.

Down shambles an old man, aged in experience and wisdom, as well as frailness of body. He slowly and painfully lifts a sword. She eyes him. He stares back, unafraid. 

He charges.

After cleaning up the body with a quick toss into the magma river, he tends to the terrified children and kittens of his legend. This man of ill-attended fame, mayor of this legendary, if not secluded, fortress of great wealth and power, returns his sword to the stand in his room, sheds his clothing for a new set, and scrubs his body of the remaining filth.

He considers himself lucky that the children were locked in the playroom. They were not threatened by the medusa-like creature that attacked his fortress. They couldn't see her. And just as well, for the metaphor. The blind lead the blind, they say.

In this case, it was literal.

-----------------

So, ladies and gentlemen. What would you imagine exists in the power of the coming releases?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:45:33 pm by Caretaker Eric »
The voodoo that I do in this case is run down children with a helicopter, swinging away at them with a gigantic ball menacing with spikes of magnetite.

"And you can get moose silk naturally or through a botched smelter reaction." - Kagus

"Dwarf Fortress: Using waterwheels to power your pumps to power the waterwheels." - kernel

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of epic can you imagine in the potential of the coming release?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:20:00 pm »

Pools of blood.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:27:07 pm »

i wish for that level on epicness everyday

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:43:31 pm »

Booze falls, booze moats, booze bombs (that actually work), booze civies, booze monsters . . .

Booze everything.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 07:48:10 am »

Pools of blood.

Blood isn't going to flow in the upcoming release.  It will at most form one-tile puddles with faux-depth gradations similar to the current "pool of blood"/"spatter of blood" system.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 09:50:29 am »

Endless blood puddles?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 10:35:57 am »

Booze falls, booze moats

Since when is Toady adding new flows in the next version?

(answer: he isn't)
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 11:52:21 am »

Poisons which turn a creature into another creature.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 12:01:31 pm »

I guess I misunderstood this thread and people are just talking about the potential of releases 3 years from now.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 12:06:18 pm »

I guess I misunderstood this thread and people are just talking about the potential of releases 3 years from now.

Well, if you have a "permanent" poison/infection that turns your dwarves into steroided, mindless berserkers whose beards fall out and whose skin is horribly maladjusted...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 02:00:23 pm »

Perhaps I'm exaggerating a little, but if you made a poison that turns the infected area into bronze (and spreads) and causes the individual to go berserk you'd end up with a disease that turns dwarves (etc.) into bronze colossi.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 02:14:54 pm »

Perhaps I'm exaggerating a little, but if you made a poison that turns the infected area into bronze (and spreads) and causes the individual to go berserk you'd end up with a disease that turns dwarves (etc.) into bronze colossi.

I'm not sure there's a poison contingent planned/implemented right now that turns one material into another. I know there's necrosis (turns flesh into dead flesh) but there's no transmutative venoms yet.

Bujold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 02:21:16 pm »

He charges.

After cleaning up the body with a quick toss into the magma river, he tends to the terrified children and kittens of his legend.

No. That would be impossible, even in a hundred years, no matter how advanced DF is. Dwarves will still be dwarves, with matching wits. There's no way a dwarf, in the presence of a magma river, would pass up the chance to toss their enemy in the magma, then jump in to wrestle them. The scenario you have here is too undwarven.
And then, when you arrive at your destination, the dwarves split up and destroy anything in thier path. Kinda like locusts, but bearded and drunk.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 02:43:31 pm »

He charges.

After cleaning up the body with a quick toss into the magma river, he tends to the terrified children and kittens of his legend.

No. That would be impossible, even in a hundred years, no matter how advanced DF is. Dwarves will still be dwarves, with matching wits. There's no way a dwarf, in the presence of a magma river, would pass up the chance to toss their enemy in the magma, then jump in to wrestle them. The scenario you have here is too undwarven.

The body... it's like chasming, only with fire...  Doesn't have to mean you're fighting close to it...

Mikko

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 03:00:46 pm »

Dwarves love to wrestle off pig tail socks just as much as Sméagol loved his Precious.

Anyways, good story brah. (Forgive me)
Was epic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5