Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What kind of epic can you imagine in the potential of the coming release?  (Read 7572 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of epic can you imagine in the potential of the coming release?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 02:15:07 pm »

I'm going to finally be able to mod in a really odd race to my mod. They're eye creatures, with different castes having different body parts added to them. Antenni, Crab claws, crests, hand spikes, all kinds of stuff.

Imagine a beholder without the eyestalk eyes, give it arms and legs, and then start messing with it from there. Kind of like that. Oh, and the mouth is on the bottom, not the front.

I think I'll make them unable to speak, so they can be a new non-snatching enemy.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 03:04:27 pm »

"Material breath attacks?" Arsenic dragons. Huge undead monstrosities that breathe a necrosis causing gas. Sixteen new kinds of Giant Cave Spider. Cats that breathe toxic catnip waves. Forty seven types of Feral Garden Gnome.

The endless possibilities of DF are becoming endlesser. Endless... er.

Caretaker Eric

• Bay Watcher
  • You do the voodoo that you do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 03:38:57 pm »

These sound great. How about this obvious thing that I just love to think about. It's routine, with one extra step. I'll italicize the extra step.

1.) Pick up crossbows.
2.) Load crossbows.
4.) Apply super poison.
5.) Kill gobbers.
6.) ???
7.) Bankruptcy.
The voodoo that I do in this case is run down children with a helicopter, swinging away at them with a gigantic ball menacing with spikes of magnetite.

"And you can get moose silk naturally or through a botched smelter reaction." - Kagus

"Dwarf Fortress: Using waterwheels to power your pumps to power the waterwheels." - kernel

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 07:18:45 pm »

"Material breath attacks?" Arsenic dragons. Huge undead monstrosities that breathe a necrosis causing gas. Sixteen new kinds of Giant Cave Spider. Cats that breathe toxic catnip waves. Forty seven types of Feral Garden Gnome.

Which will force people to go to Wikipedia to figure out the differences between them ("how's the Eastern Hemisphere Deciduous Gnome different from the Oriental Forest Gnome?")

The endless possibilities of DF are becoming endlesser. Endless... er.

NEEDS MOAR ENDLESSERNESS!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 07:45:03 pm »

*Tink* *Tink* *Tonk*

Urist McMiner pauses his mining, something hollow is behind this wall.

He quickly runs to the Mayor and says they may of found something, the Mayor grabs a couple champions to and goes with him and Urist breaks through.

They step cautiously into the opening.

Suddenly Urist collapses, then a military dwarf, then the other, then finally the mayor collapses. The unknown assailent continues down the tunnel, free from its bounds and spreads throughout the fortress. Dwarves left and right begin collapsing, within a day everybody in the fort is dead, the assailent, a poisonous gas chamber.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2009, 07:58:43 pm »

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more!

I am already planning on building a castle out of bones.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 08:07:51 pm »

Well if there is an gaseous template we cant not only have poison gas we can also get explosiv gases like Methane. Fireimps dargons and magma would get an new form of dangerousness.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Caretaker Eric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 09:16:22 pm »

*Tink* *Tink* *Tonk*

Urist McMiner pauses his mining, something hollow is behind this wall.

He quickly runs to the Mayor and says they may of found something, the Mayor grabs a couple champions to and goes with him and Urist breaks through.

They step cautiously into the opening.

Suddenly Urist collapses, then a military dwarf, then the other, then finally the mayor collapses. The unknown assailent continues down the tunnel, free from its bounds and spreads throughout the fortress. Dwarves left and right begin collapsing, within a day everybody in the fort is dead, the assailent, a poisonous gas chamber.

Yes. Also, I dig the fact that you made your point through literary prose.

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more!

I am already planning on building a castle out of bones.

Ooh... Fortress made of cloth?

Well if there is an gaseous template we cant not only have poison gas we can also get explosiv gases like Methane. Fireimps dargons and magma would get an new form of dangerousness.

Oh... Dear... God.... Awesome...
The voodoo that I do in this case is run down children with a helicopter, swinging away at them with a gigantic ball menacing with spikes of magnetite.

"And you can get moose silk naturally or through a botched smelter reaction." - Kagus

"Dwarf Fortress: Using waterwheels to power your pumps to power the waterwheels." - kernel

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 11:09:18 pm »

Acid swords.  Poison-related weapons are on the list of remaining items, so I think it should be possible to make a poison that burns any living thing it touches, and then apply that to swords.

Ooh, also, toxic plastic dust.  I bet I can put that in the LEGO mod.
Minifigures will bleed toxic dust . . . That sounds good!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Caretaker Eric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 11:21:58 pm »

I just thought of something. What about artifacts? We could end up with weapons so mind-bogglingly powerful, it'd have to be reported as bugs.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2009, 11:48:40 pm »

Kobolds that steal artifacts going power-mad and returning with an unholy army with which to ransack your fort!
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2009, 05:08:12 am »

I'm looking forward to the unintentional bug that occurs when Urist McMiner swings his steel pick at the flint wall.

updated spatter effects -> sparks strike from the wall.

updated material breath weapon -> Dwarven rum breath

Result -> Exploding dwarf!

Morberis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2009, 06:35:06 am »

I'm going to go with the simple - making my nobles furniture and rooms out if cinnabar, with the realistic consequences.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2009, 04:26:20 pm »

Wizards (modded) spitting globs of liquid nitrogen and molten glass. And regular glass powder, why not.

Kamikaze kittens with ultra-flammable fur coats and a tendency to bite their opponents, latch on, and inject burning venom. Hey, it'd solve the population problem nicely while taking care of intruders ^^

Balloon animals? Might be possible to have their blood be a gas, but I don't know. It'd be funny to try.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2009, 05:34:14 pm »

Inspired by Toady's most recent dev update(boiling blood breathing berzerkers), a dwarf gets wounded somewhere along his digestive track in combat and coughs up a glob of blood, decapitating his opponent with it.

And, an alcohol based atmosphere inside the fort, maintained by airlocks. Dwarves can breathe it, animals adapt but outsiders quickly suffocate. Then somebody breaches a magma pool.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5