Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alien-like creature  (Read 1164 times)

Puller of the lever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alien-like creature
« on: February 07, 2009, 08:59:02 am »

On an italian forum I introduced some users to the wonders of DF.  ;D
I'll let pass some days, then I'll start a succession game with them, so I need some tricks to make the game more fun, but not too much.

I made the goblins (damblock 1, speed 750) and the megabeasts (30 size, damblock increased, fire immunity for the dragon) toughter, and I increased the grow duration for all the crops. Nothing will grow during the winter, too.

Now I want to introduce a new creature, a sort of alien-like beast that spawns everywhere, reproduces (but not too often), and enters in the fortresses to ambush and eat the dwarves.
I'm not very skilled with modding, so I ask your help.
I thought to use the tags VERMIN_LAVA for the dwarves and VERMIN_HUNTER and AMBUSHPREDATOR for the "alien", cause I read this on the forum, but I'm not sure.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Alien-like creature
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 09:12:57 am »

[VERMIN_LAVA] on dwarves would crash the game, as the tag would make dwarves into Size 0 vermin, like fire snakes.  [VERMIN_HUNTER] would then be useless, unless you wanted them to act like cats.

AMBUSHPREDATOR should work.  Make sure to also give them [LARGE_PREDATOR] and [LARGE_ROAMING], and maybe [MEANDERER].

I'm not sure how a xenomorph thematically fits to anything, if that's where you're going.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Puller of the lever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:05:59 am »

I want the creature enters in the fortress, so the dwarves won't be safe indoor and the players will be forced to pay attention, create guards and so on.

Is this possible with those tags?

Pixelfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 12:02:23 pm »

Well, an interesting way to go about this would be to actually copy giant spiders. Increase their biome frequency, give them the addition of canopendoors and mischief, possibly boozeguzzler, and give them reproductive capability. Change their size to 9, and change their blood type to M. Name the children 1: face hugger and 12: Drone, or some such, so you have a queen with drones and face huggers.

Also increase cluster size.

End result is you'll get a monsterous insectoid thing with blood that burns things and always hides that has reason to go indoors and capacity to do so. Unless I'm wrong.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 04:57:59 pm »

Look up the slime beast thing someone made.  It was neat.  It came every so often to guzzle drinks and steal food, and just generally kill everything.  They were based on Rhesus Macaques or something.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 05:37:25 pm »

I want the creature enters in the fortress, so the dwarves won't be safe indoor and the players will be forced to pay attention, create guards and so on.

Is this possible with those tags?

[CANOPENDOORS] and [trAPAVOID]. The first makes the creature able to open doors (didn't expect that, didn't you?) and the second makes it so that the creature doesn't trigger traps or pressure plates. They can just waltz in your fortress and eat whatever they want. unless you've got a moat, in which case I suggest adding [FLY] to it so it can also get over that obstacle. Other than that, I advice you to go through this list and add what you see fit.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 01:50:52 am »

Look up the slime beast thing someone made.  It was neat.  It came every so often to guzzle drinks and steal food, and just generally kill everything.  They were based on Rhesus Macaques or something.

That was my project, but it failed pretty badly. I had originally intended for them to be unofficial marauding megabeasts, but the inherent cowardice code for animals couldn't be removed, so they'd run up, retreat, run up, retreat, ad infinitum... just like rhesus macaques. Really slow, gooey rhesus macaques.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 02:50:08 am »

I think you want a very evil, militaristic race that breeds like rabbits! well, i guess they wouldn't sneak arround eating dwarves, but they could be at war with every other race that exists..

take it easy on those Italians, would ya?
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 01:21:07 pm »

I think you want a very evil, militaristic race that breeds like rabbits! well, i guess they wouldn't sneak arround eating dwarves, but they could be at war with every other race that exists.

Evil elves? It isn't a stretch, really.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Puller of the lever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 02:52:23 pm »

Ok, considering that the new players are very very new, I decided to not introduce this horrible creature. The increase of GROWDUR and the new goblins/megabeasts are enough, maybe.  ;D

I thank all of you for the help, and I note down this topic, waiting the moment in which I'll create the alien.  ;)

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 09:50:17 pm »

lol give em a chance to pick up the learning curve before you try bending them over, mate.  everyone deserves a fighting chance. ;)
Demon of Darkness