Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: FPS won't stay constant...  (Read 3769 times)

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS won't stay constant...
« on: February 07, 2009, 12:38:22 pm »

I know it is suppose to fluctuate, but this is getting ridiculous.  It will be at 100FPS one second, then drop to 20FPS, then go up to 60FPS, then down to 8FPS, then back up to 100FPs, etc. in a matter of seconds.  It is getting to the point where the game is unplayable.  Additionally, as if that wasn't bad enough, if I let it play long enough then it goes down to around 8FPS and just stays there until I reboot the game (Usually having to wait awhile before rebooting it or else the problem won't go away).

I don't think it is my computer as it is fairly new, and does everything else just fine.  It is just this game...

Help?

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS won't stay constant...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:54:14 pm »

What kind of map are you on?  Rivers?  Ambushers?  Merchants?
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:09:24 pm »

There is a river on the map, but no ambushers or merchants right now.  There are some mountians also, but the map is only 4x4 and I would have thought that the FPS would at least be steady decreasing.

It is now completely unplayable.  The rhythm is too random and inconstant.

Gertack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 03:36:15 pm »

Have you tried the graphics rewrites of 40d9?

Maybe you have a lot of ambushers or a caravan? People often report a FPS drop when they show up.

Keeping a veritable ark worth of animals around?

Could be worse, you could have 0 FPS like my 5x5 fort. :p  I get about a season every 2 or 3 days leaving it running 24 hours a day.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 03:43:23 pm »

Hello!

That sounds horribly bugged. I have never heard of anything like that, and I don't think such chaotic behavior can be caused by normal game play (certain events like major cave-ins, major flow calculations may cause such a drastic drop in FPS, but you can usually pinpoint the source and it should not repeat).

Try genning another world and start a game there. If the problem is solved, then it was something on the map after all. If it is not solved, then your computer is probably having trouble with the game.

On what computer are you playing DF? Operating system and so on would be helpful. Also, which version of DF are you playing and have you modified it in any way?

Deathworks

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 03:59:03 pm »

Processor:  AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60  2.00GHz
Memory RAM:  3.00GB
System type:  32-bit Operating System

I re-downloaded it, and made a new world.  1/2 hour in it started up again, but this time the FPS just stayed about 8FPS the whole time.  I downloaded it off of the main screen and then I downloaded another version for the experimental and I've tried with both to no avail...

The world is 3x3, no elevation changes, no river, and very small.  I don't think it is my computer (It's not a bad computer), but I don't know what to do...v_v

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 04:51:46 pm »

Have you tried setting core affinity for the DF process?

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 07:06:05 pm »

No, I haven't, but the game doesn't run well even when it is the only program running...

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 08:59:01 pm »

Ok, I set the affinity.

I'm letting it run in the background to see if it slows down...

EDIT:
Nope, no luck.It went back down again.
Any other ideas?  Or should I just condemn myself to not playing this game...?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 12:15:43 am by Umi »

Gertack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 11:41:47 pm »

Edit data/init/init.txt to reduce the G_FPS cap?  The fewer graphical frames printed the faster the simulation (FPS) is.

Turn off temperature, weather, and/or cave-ins?

Change the "Compatibility Mode" (Properties window) of the program to something lower in hopes it avoids whatever slows you down?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 07:49:59 am »

Also, do you know if you have any large, populated underground features like HFS or a cave river?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 07:55:14 am »

I know it's unlikely with 3gb but that sounds a lot like it's paging out. Can you check your task manager to see how much memory has been allocated (across the whole system) it could be something is stealing lots of it so df is forced to used virtual memory.

Another possibility its an overly aggressive anti-virus, although normally you only see that with lots of file access.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 08:47:35 am »

Nothing else was sapping as much energy except for Firefox, but it crashes even without Firefox pulled up.  :\

I scanned the computer and there are no viruses.

I told a friend and he said it sounded like an overheating problem.  Does that sound plausible?  (I'm in no way a computer guru, so I don't know...>__>)  Should I buy a fan?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 08:53:21 am »

I scanned the computer and there are no viruses.

I meant the anti-virus itself might be the problem, try disabling it briefly while you play the game. It's unlikely with df but I've had it happen on other games.

I told a friend and he said it sounded like an overheating problem.  Does that sound plausible?  (I'm in no way a computer guru, so I don't know...>__>)  Should I buy a fan?

Techically it's possible, if a modern computer starts to heat up a lot of them throttle back the cpu, do you have any software installed that could give you a read out? Some probably came with the computer or the motherboard driver cd.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 04:55:58 pm »

I turned it off and now I'm seeing if it will drop in FPS again...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4