Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: FPS won't stay constant...  (Read 3762 times)

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS won't stay constant...
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2009, 03:57:52 pm »

I haven't had this laptop for very long, so I haven't had a chance to try other games on it yet.  Would a temperature monitor cost very much?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2009, 05:04:39 pm »

It already has one.
Get a program like Speedfan to utilize it.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2009, 05:31:21 am »

Get Firefox and spell check your posts! Alt + 15 = ☼  Alt + 0153 = ™ Proper English on forums!  There's no hurry here!

Hehe, I like your sig, even if you do link to en-us versions of Firefox and not proper English ;)

(also alt codes depend on os & language settings, alt + # for me for example switches tabs in firefox 3)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 11:11:03 am »

Ok, I downloaded that.
When I just turned my laptop on it was:
GPU:  45c
Core:  38c

It has been about 45 minutes and it is now:
GPU:  102c
Core:  88c

I'm just on the internet.  I haven't tried to play any games yet.
Is this bad?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2009, 11:53:57 am »

Core is a little hot, which would probably explain it. Is this a laptop or a desktop? The GPU is hot for a laptop but much colder than my desktop one gets.

Edit: laptop, just noticed you already said. Not sure what the sensible solution is then. Maybe take it to the people you got it from and say it overheats really easily. 88c is too hot.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2009, 12:35:57 pm »

I bought it off my mom since she wanted a smaller laptop.  This one is way past the warranty...
Could I buy a fan to cool it down with?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2009, 12:47:45 pm »

I bought it off my mom since she wanted a smaller laptop.  This one is way past the warranty...
Could I buy a fan to cool it down with?

Buy things?  Hell no!  Just prop it up on some toilet paper rolls to optimize the airflow.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2009, 12:54:58 pm »

I already have the laptop up on a dinner-tray-like-thing-that-is-a-grid-of-metal so that over 98% of the laptop isn't covered on the bottom.  I was burning my legs without it.  Propping it up isn't working...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2009, 01:37:31 pm »

Depending how much effort/risk your willing to take you have a couple of options, however the first thing I'd suggest is to get some compressed air and spray each fan to make sure you remove any dust from it, dusty fans don't cool as well and you said it's a few years old at least.

You could also open up the laptop and use compressed air to make sure there is no dust inside which should help with airflow.

You can buy cooling mats such as the 'Targus Chillmat' which would set you back somewhere between $15-20 and are basically thin platforms with fans in them that improve airflow under the laptop.

You can try undervolting the CPU, however this should be done in small steps with something intensive used for testing between each check as it can make the CPU unstable. Your BIOS might be able to manage this or an application like 'Notebook Hardware Control' can do it too. This would also increase your battery life.

Finally if your feeling risking you can take out the CPU and remove the thermal paste (with a removing solvent, don't scrub at it) then using a small amount of a decent thermal paste to reseat the cpu. Factory build laptops tend to have too much paste on it's not uncommon to get a 20c reduction in heat doing this.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2009, 01:54:45 pm »

Thank you very much for the suggestions.
I'd rather not risk my laptop though.  I'm going out later today, so I'll get some compressed air (Or is it possible to make that yourself?) and a cooling mat.  Do you think best buy or radio shack might have one?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2009, 02:53:45 pm »

Compressed air HAS to be completely purified or it defeats the entire purpose.
You can buy cans of it from Best Buy.
Pretty sure you can get cooling mats there too.
Yeah, 88c is MUCH too hot for a CPU.  No doubts in my mind that your mobo is throttling it to prevent damage.
My old one ran at 60-70c, and my new one, I have yet to see over 40c.
To put that into perspective:
88 degrees Celsius = 190.4 degrees Fahrenheit
You're only 12c (21.6F) away from the boiling point of water.
That is EXTREMELY dangerous for CPUs.
GPUs tend to run hotter then CPUs anyway, but 102 is above boiling point, which still sounds incredibly dangerous to me.

Get Firefox and spell check your posts! Alt + 15 = ☼  Alt + 0153 = ™ Proper English on forums!  There's no hurry here!

Hehe, I like your sig, even if you do link to en-us versions of Firefox and not proper English ;)

(also alt codes depend on os & language settings, alt + # for me for example switches tabs in firefox 3)
I'm fairly certain there's little to no difference between the dictionaries contained in the en-gb (I'm pretty sure that's how the shortened lettering goes..  that's how it is for World of Warcraft, at least...) version vs the en-us version...
Besides those petty things like armor vs armour, anyway...
Hmm..  I thought those alt-codes would be correct for pretty much any OS/language combination we ran into on these here forums..  No matter, if they don't work for everyone, I won't leave them there...  Lord knows I have plenty of things I can fit in that space.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:58:42 pm by jaybud4 »

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2009, 08:55:43 pm »

Ok, I bought a fan an anti-dust spray.  The fan brought it down to:
GPU:  86c
Core:  72c

Is this much better?  Also, how do I use the spray?  Do I just spray it in?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2009, 04:40:38 am »

Yup, ideally at a slight angle to help lift the dust out. It shouldn't take too much just a quick blast of air over the fans. If there are any other holes on the lap top run it over there too just to help shift any dust inside, hopefully you can blow it all out :)

72c is hot but in a safe region for CPUs, you'll have to see how hot it gets running DF though.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2009, 10:04:13 am »

I tried running it for just a couple of minutes last night without the internet running.  It was at around 68c.

I think it is hotter to play videos online than to play DF... ???

I'm going to leave it running indefinitely while I go to church today just to see if it heats up from running it for extended periods of time.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2009, 11:59:34 am »

today just to see if it heats up from running it for extended periods of time.
Worst case scenario, it'll shut itself off due to the heat.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4