Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: FPS won't stay constant...  (Read 3770 times)

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS won't stay constant...
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2009, 02:33:17 pm »

I just tried playing with my largest fortress (57 dwarfs) and it ran at a fairly constant 80c and 70fps without having sprayed it yet.

Would a dust remover work?  I had bought it thinking it was compressed air (That is what the sales person said at least...>_>) only to find that it was a dust remover.  Would that damage the computer to use?

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2009, 07:36:32 am »

Eh, I went ahead and used it anyways.  I sprayed it on my hand to make sure it wasn't really moist and then I sprayed out the fans.  Nothing visible came out, but it sure did help a lot.  The computer is now running a constant 65c and 45c with firefox and DF running.  Granted, I'm not at an intensive part of the game yet, but this is still 30c less than before.

Thank so very much for all of your help.  ^_^

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2009, 12:34:11 pm »

My old one ran at 60-70c, and my new one, I have yet to see over 40c.

Whoa!  Is that motherboard or CPU temp?  Because if it's the latter, the thermometer must not be installed right.  That's absurdly low.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2009, 12:45:42 pm »

Whoa!  Is that motherboard or CPU temp?  Because if it's the latter, the thermometer must not be installed right.  That's absurdly low.

My desktop CPU rarely goes over 31c (my laptop often hits 60c+). If you check a site like silent pc review you'll see a number of CPU fans can maintain that temperature with almost no noise, mostly because modern cores are lower voltage.

My mates water cooled system is a flat 20c pretty much all the time under any load.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:47:31 pm by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2009, 05:05:18 pm »

My old one ran at 60-70c, and my new one, I have yet to see over 40c.

Haha!  That's the kind of response I want from people!
Because, that thermometer is definitely installed correctly, and it is NOT wrong.
On top of that number being a composite of both readings from TWO thermometers, one on each of my CPU cores, and two thermometers placed strategically on the mobo near the CPU, there's also two MORE thermometers on the mobo in different places that are reading nearly the same.
Course, then there's two that ARE installed wrong, reading -2c and 0c.
THERE's your absurdly low.
But those don't concern me when the rest of it's reading as it is.
EDIT: Aww.  A couple sensors got cut off.
But nonetheless, Speedfan delivers proof of concept:

GPU is obviously the odd one out of the bunch, other then the two that are frozen.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:13:13 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]