Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 69

Author Topic: Because of Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 215612 times)

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
Re: Because of Dwarf Fortress...
« Reply #240 on: December 01, 2009, 01:36:37 pm »

Dont forget a super-computer stricly for DF pathfindnig calculation so we can have a fort with 1k population :D
Oh my... The pain... Sieges would be like Minas Tirith all over again!!

(while on that note)
...I have new respects for watching the battle for Minas Tirith. I mean, they carved that whole ciy out of rock. In a Terrifying biome with constant orc seiges.

AND THEY'RE HUMAN!
Because of DF and that post, I'm wondering what other mods Tolkien was using.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 01, 2009, 03:04:41 pm »

Dont forget a super-computer stricly for DF pathfindnig calculation so we can have a fort with 1k population :D

(while on that note)
...I have new respects for watching the battle for Minas Tirith. I mean, they carved that whole ciy out of rock. In a Terrifying biome with constant orc seiges.

AND THEY'RE HUMAN!
Im also wondering if Gimli was actually a dwarf. If you read the books, he wanted to take Legolas into the back of Helms deep to see the crystal caverns (I forgot the real name, but thats essentially what they are) in return, Legolas would take him to see groves of trees in some forest. Why would you DO THAT?

And yes, I do wonder what mods Tolkien was using cause Wizards don't have biomes... Nor do ents... and there's no such thing as "necromancers". Or ships. Or pirates for that matter... And mithril? Pft, Adamantium all the way, dwarves...
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 01, 2009, 03:12:29 pm »

(while on that note)

AND THEY'RE HUMAN!
Im also wondering if Gimli was actually a dwarf. If you read the books, he wanted to take Legolas into the back of Helms deep to see the crystal caverns (I forgot the real name, but thats essentially what they are) in return, Legolas would take him to see groves of trees in some forest. Why would you DO THAT?

And yes, I do wonder what mods Tolkien was using cause Wizards don't have biomes... Nor do ents... and there's no such thing as "necromancers". Or ships. Or pirates for that matter... And mithril? Pft, Adamantium all the way, dwarves...
Maybe they were looking for adamantine in Moria. They did dig too deep, after all.

Come to think of it, DF explains why dropping the ring into Mount Doom would take out all of Sauron's forces. He finds out his artifact gold ring has been destroyed, and starts the mother of all tantrum spirals.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 01, 2009, 03:23:27 pm »

(while on that note)

AND THEY'RE HUMAN!

Maybe they were looking for adamantine in Moria. They did dig too deep, after all.

Come to think of it, DF explains why dropping the ring into Mount Doom would take out all of Sauron's forces. He finds out his artifact gold ring has been destroyed, and starts the mother of all tantrum spirals.
They did dig to deep, broke the clown car and out came the clown. Or in this case, the Balrog. Of course, they were playing the old versions so they got the message "You have dug to deep" and abandoned their fortress. It was then "claimed" by the Balrog and Goblins. Of course, then they went Questing around and passed through the abandoned fortress.

See now, I think that "Mithril" is actually just "Adamantine", but just a different name.

See now? Tantrum spiral makes sense...

And because of DF, I am afraid of tantrums...
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 01, 2009, 03:46:33 pm »

An actual series of text messages between me and my sister; I was stuck at a boring party, and she was the one who was supposed to give me a ride home, but had to work late.

Me: You know, I could just build a chariot, lash some [of the party's many] stoners to it, and ride home like that.
Sister: LOL.  I mean if you can get a chariot build go for it.  However I think by time you're done I'll be there.
[An hour passes.]
Me: I'm building that chariot.  I shall construct it from BONE and furnish it with the TANNED HIDES of these obnoxious fools.  I shall call it "Uristnom," Dwarvern for "Dagger of Gods," and I shall forevermore be known as a Legendary Bonecarver!  ...yeah, I'm bored.

Note: The naming and translation was done entirely from memory.  (Later I checked and found the translation should have technically been Urist Nòm, but it's the thought that counts.)  Luckily for the other guests, my mood was Macabre, not Fell... my sister arrived shortly thereafter anyways, preventing insanity from ensuing.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 01, 2009, 08:40:13 pm »

Clearly, Gimli was planning an *hem* unfortunate incident.

Also, Tolkien was running Dig Deeper. Only mod that has mithril in it, yea?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 01, 2009, 09:09:11 pm »

Actually, several mods add mithril.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 02, 2009, 11:22:18 am »

because of DF

i want an iphone version of the game
I now find simcity dull and boring
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 02, 2009, 03:01:29 pm »

because of DF

Pocket DF....

You'd fry your phone so fast...
BUT IT'D BE SO AWESOME!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 02, 2009, 03:24:54 pm »

because of DF

Pocket DF....

BUT IT'D BE SO AWESOME!
I don't consider .001 FPS to be awesome...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 02, 2009, 06:16:01 pm »

because of DF

Pocket DF....

BUT IT'D BE SO AWESOME!
I don't consider .001 FPS to be awesome...
agreed
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 02, 2009, 06:34:19 pm »

Because of Dwarf Fortress...

... when I look at stones, whether shiny polished ones in shops or the gravel on a dirt road, I try to guess what stone it is.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 02, 2009, 07:45:43 pm »

Going back to the theme of LotR and DF, be wary of wizards, for they have many giant eagles...

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 02, 2009, 08:21:49 pm »

Because of Dwarf Fortress...

... when I look at stones, whether shiny polished ones in shops or the gravel on a dirt road, I try to guess what stone it is.

If you find any adamantine tell me!! i wanna break the fun house :D
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #254 on: December 03, 2009, 04:05:08 pm »

I am considering building a mist generator in my bedroom, as soon as I can figure out the perpetual motion machine.

I have been looking at the front walkway and considering smoothing it.  The dwarves make it look so easy.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 69