Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 69

Author Topic: Because of Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 219210 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Because of Dwarf Fortress...
« Reply #270 on: December 07, 2009, 02:21:47 pm »

But I repeat: Multicore DF. Oh the horrors. 1k population = Mordor style invasion...
yeah maybe or just reduce the max pop in init. This way you could play with your 200 hundred dwarf without having 3-4 FPS
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 07, 2009, 02:31:59 pm »

See now, I think that "Mithril" is actually just "Adamantine", but just a different name.

Oh yes.

[...] if mithril isn't being enforced or is unenforceable, then I might just do it that way.  Does somebody have an email for the Tolkien estate?  I could just ask them which words they are claiming.

That said, I can change it to adamant/adamantine, which has way older roots.  For instance, "In Greek mythology, Cronus uses an adamantine sickle to castrate his father, the Titan Uranus."
If adamantine is from greek mythology, I wonder if orichalcum will be added eventually?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 07, 2009, 05:29:59 pm »

I spend my time plotting out plans for making an obsidian or ice cast fortress on a glacier including a way to automate water production from ice.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

ChokingVictim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 08, 2009, 12:40:44 pm »

I've never been on the something aweful forums but god bless em
Hah.  Hahaha. HAHAHAHAHHAAAA!!!!!!!

My brother's a Somethingawful goon.  It can get very . . . intense there.  Not as nice a forum as this one, according to him.  They did bring us Boatmurdered, though.

On topic, I added "Boatmurdered" to my Firefox dictionary.

There are a lot of nice forums out there and a lot of terrifying ones.

I'm a bit of a /b/tard, which is usually considered worse then a goon.  But I keep my /b/ and my bay12 / all other forums separate from each other and thank god.

...when I enter a building, I admire how well made all of the rooms and walls are constructed, and how much room there is in them!

...I also mince wine with wine and call it Biscuits!

go to /tg/ dwarf fortress is celebrated highly there.  i find it a bit more responsive to quick questions than the ol bay12

ChokingVictim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 08, 2009, 01:43:52 pm »

Dont forget a super-computer stricly for DF pathfindnig calculation so we can have a fort with 1k population :D
Oh my... The pain... Sieges would be like Minas Tirith all over again!!

(while on that note)
...I have new respects for watching the battle for Minas Tirith. I mean, they carved that whole ciy out of rock. In a Terrifying biome with constant orc seiges.

AND THEY'RE HUMAN!
Because of DF and that post, I'm wondering what other mods Tolkien was using.
Im also wondering if Gimli was actually a dwarf. If you read the books, he wanted to take Legolas into the back of Helms deep to see the crystal caverns (I forgot the real name, but thats essentially what they are) in return, Legolas would take him to see groves of trees in some forest. Why would you DO THAT?

And yes, I do wonder what mods Tolkien was using cause Wizards don't have biomes... Nor do ents... and there's no such thing as "necromancers". Or ships. Or pirates for that matter... And mithril? Pft, Adamantium all the way, dwarves...

In defense of Gimli, A Champion does as he pleases!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 08, 2009, 03:14:46 pm »

But I repeat: Multicore DF. Oh the horrors. 1k population = Mordor style invasion...

By Amok, this must be done! For Super Mega Fortress of the Future! And I would SO need to get access to some dedicated super computer to run a Fortress!  ;D
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 08, 2009, 04:23:59 pm »

...I named a Geodude in Pokemon "Microcline".
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 08, 2009, 06:16:58 pm »

...when I see a yellow car I assume it's made of orthoclase.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 08, 2009, 11:56:25 pm »

If adamantine is from greek mythology, I wonder if orichalcum will be added eventually?

HOLY TRINITY OF DF METALS

Adamantium
Mithril
Orichalcum

now we just need to figure out fdifferent material stats for them...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 09, 2009, 12:21:47 am »

Mithril<orichalcum<Adamantine?(orichalcum should be the lightest metal)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 09, 2009, 12:38:53 am »

maybe one is lightest, one is most durable, on has highest value or soemthing.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 09, 2009, 01:05:34 am »

Well, orichalcum is stated as being super-light, dwarves already practically worship adamantine, and maybe mythril could be the strongest?

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 09, 2009, 03:32:00 am »

I thought evreyone was just joking about the dreaming in ASCII thing, but then it happened to me and
Thank you based dwarf.

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 10, 2009, 12:51:35 am »

- i engraved a picture of myself in my bedroom, engraving a picture on my wall.
I'm tempted to engrave a picture of him engraving a picture of himself engraving on his wall on my wall.
And I will engrave him, engraving him, that's engraving him, who's engraving HIMSELF engraving a wall, on my wall, so that it is forever known that he engraved.

Because of Dwarf Fortress I now dislike recursion even more
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 10, 2009, 05:17:16 am »

I thought evreyone was just joking about the dreaming in ASCII thing, but then it happened to me and

"and you accidentally your post?"
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 69