Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 69

Author Topic: Because of Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 215629 times)

Tizer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:awesome top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Because of Dwarf Fortress...
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2009, 07:26:47 pm »

When I go hunting with my crossbow I can pierce all the targets internal organs with a single bolt.

I try to translate real places into df maps in my head.

When I go to the pound I wonder why they don't just use one cage.

Whenever I play a rougelike or game that allows me to be a dwarf I must play as one.

And whenever I see a lever I get an uncontrollable urge to pull it.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2009, 07:46:24 pm »

I evaluate apartments, housing complexes, and their like in terms of their efficiency for dwarves.  What do I need a personal kitchen for?
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Stelknecht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2009, 08:24:55 pm »

... I issue demands for dinner in my study

(sometimes the wife complies, sometime not.. where's my darn hammer...)

Urist McHauler cancels hauling-irradiated by nuke!
UristMcHauler cancels rest-mutating!
UristMcHauler has become a legendary mutant!
Urist McHauler has founded the X-Dwarves!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2009, 08:26:14 pm »

...I see regular dwarven programming.

Here's an example:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

source

EDIT:
Also, because of Dwarf Fortress, my arachnophobia may possibly be cured, and I think a GS would make an awesome pet/mount.

And here's why...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:07:05 pm by Itnetlolor »

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2009, 09:20:45 pm »

... I have develop an irrational hate of all things Elves. (Then again this could also come from reading the Hobbit too much.)

... I learned that magma solves all problems.

... I want to make a fortress a giant binary calculator using goblins sieges to run it.

HOWEVER, because of Nethack I have an irrational fear that my hauler dwarves are carrying to much and that they might trip down some stairs and get crushed by their own load O__o.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2009, 10:09:53 pm »

...I've embarked on a quest to convince my friends that dorfs are the most manly of all races.

They say that orcs are more so.  >:(

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2009, 12:12:34 am »

...I've embarked on a quest to convince my friends that dorfs are the most manly of all races.

Blasphemy! Have they not read the story of Lanternwebs?

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2009, 12:15:05 am »

It was difficult enough explaining to them that Barbarian isn't a race  >:(

What about DWARVEN BARBARIANS, I cry!  They simply reply,

"That's stupid."

koofle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2009, 01:39:33 am »

...my criteria for buying a new laptop is based on how much FPS I can get on dwarf fortress, not team fortress.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2009, 08:34:57 am »

When I dropped a rapidly dissolving cookie into my tea, my first thought was, "Damn.  I should've built ramps.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2009, 08:50:15 am »

My wife plays Lord Of The Rings Online.

Whenever she goes to the part of the game in Moria, I watch and complain.  The geology is wrong, you don't find those kind of ores in that kind of rock.  The layout is completely impractical, it's all impressive ramps and pillars without any functional buildings whatsoever.  Where are the workshops?  Where are the farms?  Where are the elaborate deathtraps involving drawbridges and magma?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2009, 08:55:01 am »

When I watched Lord of the Rings, I could almost hear Gimli cry, "I SAY WE POUR MAGMA ON IT!" in the first movie.

I also noticed something interesting:

What is the difference between Sauroman's tower and a dwarven fort?

Railings.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2009, 09:09:21 am »

My wife plays Lord Of The Rings Online.

Whenever she goes to the part of the game in Moria, I watch and complain.  The geology is wrong, you don't find those kind of ores in that kind of rock.  The layout is completely impractical, it's all impressive ramps and pillars without any functional buildings whatsoeverWhere are the workshops?  Where are the farms?  Where are the elaborate deathtraps involving drawbridges and magma?
Bold shows where you are missing quite a bit of a playstyle. Italics die off with age. Not to mention all the levers controlling their deathtraps are in a room somewhere deep underground, where a dwarven skeleton rests on the doomsday lever.

Because of Dwarf Fortress, shopping for bed frames blows my mind. Metal bed frames?! Egads!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2009, 09:25:16 am »

I know it's from the first page and I'm a bit late to the bandwagon party, but

...I know you can vote the bastards out, but it's better to just lock the doors in your Congressman's house and let him starve to death if you don't like the job he's doing.
I believe we need to implement this practice in the US.  Also, never thought I'd say this, but totally sigged.

Anyway,

...My sense of humor has become blacker(this is something of an accomplishment).

...I've learned that "fun" and "dieing horribly" are synonyms.

...I've learned what a game looks like when the developer has his priorities straight.(Gameplay and depth >> graphics)

...and I am no longer concerned that modern graphics cards require a larger cooling system than modern CPU processors.

Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Tizer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:awesome top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2009, 09:30:52 am »

Dorfs aren't manly at all. There dorfenly. But it is true that  Dwarf > Human. Thats the hard part to get thru there thick human sculls. They'd be better off as totems.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 69