Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 69

Author Topic: Because of Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 215634 times)

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
Re: Because of Dwarf Fortress...
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2009, 04:02:03 pm »

Im constantly trying to figure out how buildngs I see in RL will look in df.

....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2009, 05:30:32 pm »

...I don't understand how they build houses in the middle of the desert. I SEE NO QUARRY! HOW MANY YEARS DID YOU BEG YOUR MERCHANT FOR SOME?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2009, 11:02:31 pm »

Thanks to Legend of Zelda, I am now curious to see if I can turn the elves into a society of Links.

...Wait, I got the topic backwards.

I made Hyrulians a race once, used steel, swords, shields, bows with arrows that did fire/ice damage, and sieged.

Never encountered them though, always had invaders off or they didn't appear due to the forest retreat requirements.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2009, 11:54:40 pm »

Thanks to Legend of Zelda, I am now curious to see if I can turn the elves into a society of Links.

...Wait, I got the topic backwards.

I made Hyrulians a race once, used steel, swords, shields, bows with arrows that did fire/ice damage, and sieged.

Never encountered them though, always had invaders off or they didn't appear due to the forest retreat requirements.
Hate to nitpik, but it's spelled "Hylians"...

On topic:
... I am forced to consider which would win: a dwarven pirate, or an elven ninja.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 21, 2009, 11:59:21 pm »

Pirate > Ninja

Dwarf > Elf

Pirate Dwarf > Ninja Elf

YAY MATH.

...Because of Dwarf Fortress, I learned that no one will bother attacking you if you live inside a glacier in the middle of nowhere because ice is considered worthless.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2009, 12:13:58 am »

...I learned that mermen/mermaids are only good for their bones.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2009, 01:38:26 am »

From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2009, 02:35:38 am »

I saw a map of the Three Rivers area of China (yes I don't know the real name) and immediately thought, "looks like a nice place to embark to.  I'm sure there's plenty of minerals in that area with all those rivers.  But there must be chasms around too, and I'm not sure if there's magma.  If there's no magma, I'm not settling there."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2009, 02:49:44 am »

I think in term of z-level rather than floor or storey. Don't laugh, this is real.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2009, 03:11:05 am »

Pirate > Ninja
FALSE!!!
From their descriptions, being a pirate is manlier than being being a peasant that kills official leaders with gardening tools, and wear cheap disguises.

Oh, and I now treasure my rock salt even more.

I got so curious about why the carp are so overpowered that I researched about aquatic animals, it turns out the fish you should be afraid of in real life is the hell fiends of South America, are the cat fish, deadlier than hippos, and piranhas ( they are actually pacifistic, til you get near their nests or panic ) , crocodiles ( hippos kill more than crocodiles ) , and sharks ( they rarely bite us out of curiosity, and we hunt them ever-closer to extinction ) .

I made a dynamic relative system of measurement.

And started talking about bauxite laced equipment for things that get hot.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:12:47 am by Foa »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2009, 04:01:51 am »

Pirate > Ninja
FALSE!!!
From their descriptions, being a pirate is manlier than being being a peasant that kills official leaders with gardening tools, and wear cheap disguises.
The Ninjas in question are the ledgendary Ninjas that can walk on clouds and flip out and kill people, rather than the reality Ninjas, in the same way that the Pirates in question are the ledgendary 'free men of the sea' rather than the reality 'criminals on boats'.

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Catfish: Part of the Carp Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 22, 2009, 08:01:51 am »

it turns out the fish you should be afraid of in real life is the hell fiends of South America, are the cat fish, deadlier than hippos, and piranhas, crocodiles, and sharks.

Thank you for your kind support.
Our Manifesto begins like carp; we generally drag people into rivers and drown them and so on, once the dwarfs have crossbows though we unlease our secret weapon.
Taking up the second part of our name to heart we impliment the =catfishsplosion=, that's right, after killing your dwarves we go for the fps...
"I'm Urist McHanz!" "And I'm Urist McFranz!" "And we're going to PUMP" *clap* "you up!"

The catfish, deadlier than hippos, and piranhas, crocodiles, and sharks.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 22, 2009, 10:00:21 am »

... I try to discover as much information as possible regarding Dwarves. Mythology, Role-playing, ... Warhammer Fantasy Dwarves struck a chord in particular.

... I dislike trees and nature even more.

... I like stone and metals even more.

... I find "regular", "mainstream" or "big budgets" games to be awfully uninspiring, poor and lazy.

... I have developped a very fond respect for "Indie-devs".

... I played my first ASCII game.

... I started to appreciate ASCII because of the possibilities (My imagination fills in the "blanks", making ASCII look way more beautiful than state-of-the-art-graphics)

... I'm trying to get a CC or Paypal account so I can donate.

... I'm actually working on a full-blown mod for a game, a first-time-occurance.

... I wish I could be a miner or smith.

... I wish there was a "How to wield an axe and shield in close combat" course.

... I'm writing a story about Dwarves.

... I developped an interest in Geology.

... I sigh aloud when confronted with my poor beard-growing-skills.

... I ridicule Elves anywhere, anywhen and anyhow I can.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 22, 2009, 07:03:39 pm »

... I believe in the exsistance of Goblinite as a source of dwarven metal

BKWM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 22, 2009, 08:22:06 pm »

...doesn't get racism. I mean come on they just have a different profession.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 69