Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question About Custom Metals  (Read 675 times)

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question About Custom Metals
« on: February 10, 2009, 08:39:32 pm »

I would like to give each race in my mod thier own unique metal alloys.  This way I could have Human Steel, Dwarf Steel, etc.  Dwarfs of course would have the strongest alloys.

Now making the custom metal alloys is very straightforward, but how can I make it so each race only uses the alloys I want them to.  If anyone knows a way to hack this in, please let me know.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question About Custom Metals
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 08:43:57 pm »

You can't.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 08:44:51 pm »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 08:44:56 pm »

Right now, that's not really possible. The game lets anyone with the proper 'tech' level use any metals at that level or less. So Dwarves would get all varieties of steel. Also, there are only three tech levels. Worst metal (base is copper), Middle Metal (base is Iron), Best Metal (Base is Steel).

These are controlled by METAL_MINOR (Use worst) and METAL_PREF (Use best). Without either of those tags the race uses the middle metals.

In theory, you could have three races with decent metal capabilities (all steel of some variety), but you'd have to restrict any other metal from being usable for armor or weapons for that to work.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Moddington

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Silly Walks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 11:42:08 pm »

You can, however, also make a metal player-fortress-only by adding the [deep] tag to the metal ONLY (as adding it to the ore will mess around with addy veins.  Then, the metal will only be available in areas where you can access all the materials required to make the metal.  For example, I've modded mithril into my game, which uses a reaction of silver, steel, coke, fuel and the dye milled from mithril roses (a plant I added in).  The plant only grows in mountain regions, so you can only make mithril if you can access mithril roses through plant gathering or trade.
So then, you could make a similar reaction where a reagent used to make the human alloy shows up on human biomes, and the dwarven ones shows up in mountain regions.  However, this has two big drawbacks.  First, only player forts can access the metal, and second, it adds another reagent to the smelting process, slowing production down (though I guess you could just ignore the plant reagent altogether and enforce the human/dwarven alloy restrictions yourself).

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 12:19:23 pm »

I don't think the [METAL_MINOR] tag just looks at armour/damage values or possibly at them at all.  So you could have three steels if you figure out what it does look at.  Density may be what it uses, so that would give you three and you can have a fourth or fifth with the [DEEP] tags.  One deep would be for the player only as stated above and the bug with [WOOD_PREF] and no [OUTDOOR_FARMING] could introduce the fifth but would end up using random metals but I think maybe only one of the [DEEP]'s.