Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is there support/plans for support of multi-core processors?  (Read 2443 times)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: Is there support/plans for support of multi-core processors?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 04:34:31 pm »

Actually, if you want to nitpick, DF probably will run better on a dual-core processor. Beacuse it gets (i guess) more actual processor time.

# of cores = # of threads that can run simultaneously

I've heard of some people using windows's task manager to force DF onto one core and everything else onto the other. IIRC it does help. I haven't tried it, myself. Seems like too much work for too little reward to me.

Actually, there is a program I've used in the past that makes it as simple as presenting a list of all processes, right clicking on Dwarffort.exe, and selecting Isolate, which puts it on a single core by itself.
Link please!  Any if anyone has something that will do this for the .exe, rather than having to reset it every time I fire up DF, please share.

I'd thank you.  Sincerely.  Over the internet.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 04:55:39 pm »

I think I've hit upon a way to make DF take proper advantage of a quad-core computer. It's simple, really... First core gets all the system processes and whatnot. Second core gets DF. Third core gets another copy of DF. So does fourth core.

Yeah, that core simplification program would be handy. =)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 05:05:05 pm »

I think I've hit upon a way to make DF take proper advantage of a quad-core computer. It's simple, really... First core gets all the system processes and whatnot. Second core gets DF. Third core gets another copy of DF. So does fourth core.

Yeah, that core simplification program would be handy. =)

Haha, yeah.
Still, now I can encode needlessly lossless BIG files while generating a world in DF WHILE killing some nobles!

Hahaha!
Pages: 1 [2]