Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Images of dwarfs/dwarves; how do you visualise them?  (Read 28423 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Images of dwarfs/dwarves; how do you visualise them?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 03:32:53 am »

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 09:30:53 am »

dont forget your all mostly talking about embarking dwarfs. the real fun is once your five or so years in and you have all the fun dwarfs running around with 8 differents socks on and nothing else.

Could we get an image of that, plez? 8)
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 12:04:42 pm »

dont forget your all mostly talking about embarking dwarfs. the real fun is once your five or so years in and you have all the fun dwarfs running around with 8 differents socks on and nothing else.

This is a perfect example of why the game is better left to the imagination. Think of a bunch of naked, blood-caked dwarves tossing vomit covered babies at eachother in full 3D. Yeah, it aint pretty.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 02:31:44 pm »

What are those purple stuffs on the ground?  ;D

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 07:10:59 pm »

The picture of the mace wielding dwarf near the top is what I imagine, and the TV tropes page more or less covers the attitude that I figure they have.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 07:15:38 pm »

Oh, let's see...

I imagine the Dwarf Fortress dwarves to be not as extreme in LOOK as Warhammer, but with that same general personality. Modified, of course, to fit in the Dwarf Fortress quirks (Cat killing, immoral, lethal fasination with overly complex constructs, something bugs them, kill it)

For looks, more casual like. Average dwarves wear cloth shirt, pants, smock. None of the intricate armour, huge winged helmets or giant banners. Unless of course the armours an artifact, then it can be as intricate as I think it should be.

It's mostly since we're seeing the dwarves at home, working through the days, not while they're out for war which is really all you see of them in Warhammer.

Do not forget that that are dwarves prepared for battle. Even in Warhammer dwarves when at home wear casual clothes.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 10:10:57 pm »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 10:16:39 pm »

I sort of picture dwarfs as these short, poorly drawn MSPaint people. Like in this thread.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 11:46:46 am »

Tbh, I really like the Warhammer take on Dwarfs, they're certainly colourful. While they're also a bit too conductive to the standard "gruff'n ale" stereotype, the wild hairstyles and tool style makes them much more memorable than Orks and (*shudders*) Elfs. I also think that the MMORPG has failed to capture the extremeness of the original TT dwarfs.

Nonetheless, I myself picture them I think quite like the first Norse stereotype. I would LIKE them to be more like John Bauers' pictures though... :) Gnarled, rock-like, barely humanoid, with mushrooms growing in their beards.
You are a pirate!

If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 03:46:49 pm »

Fairly classical, I suppose. Only, I don't see all the males having ridiculously huge beards. I imagine the warriors with their standard uberbeards, but the more crafty professions would have it get in the way. I imagine them having long but very wispy beards, that are less likely to fall into the forge.

The women I see without beards (heresy?) but instead with an emphasis on their head-hair, the warriors having ridiculously long and intricate hair like the warriors' beards, and the craftswomen having braids or ponytails or whatever would keep them from accidentally tempering themselves with a hammer.

No rational behind this, mind you. Just the effects of my imagination, really.

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 04:24:18 pm »

Could we get an image of that, plez? 8)

yes, yes we can

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You have struck Microcline!

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 06:05:35 pm »

Genius! Sheer genius!

*applause*
You are a pirate!

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 08:03:08 pm »

that needs to be Balathustrius' avatar.
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 10:43:15 pm »

Dwarves in real life?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 03:05:06 am »

i most likly go just with the adnd/warcraft dwarves:
clerics (in wow the heal spec for paladins), paladins and warriors in heavy armors as the mainforces than it commes to battle
but also lighter euiped dwarfs in other traits, like scouts, rogues and such

and also i have no problem to see female dwarfs as quit attractive even they are short and got "heavy bones", at least in a roleplaying aspect i think the stout females are much more preferable for a dwarf than a narrow human or even elf (even most players cant get out of their human mindset for the attractivness...)

overall i picture dwarfs as very bearing for family traits and culture, very loyal, living near, on (or in) mountains and of course alcohol depandant... well i am from austria, except of the short thing most traditionalists are the same (but through americanism/globalism get less and less)
maybe the main thing why i connect to dwarfs quite well

only classic adnd drow are more awesome (chaotic evil, and still quite deep and more than "me ebil orc me smash")
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5