Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Images of dwarfs/dwarves; how do you visualise them?  (Read 28425 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Images of dwarfs/dwarves; how do you visualise them?
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 08:55:26 pm »

I picture female dwarves just as small and hairy as the males, but wearing flambeauant femenine clothing and talking in really high voices, like when monty python members pretend to be little old ladies.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 09:52:25 pm »

It would probably be hard to describe how I see dwarves.
The AD&D/D&D would probably be closest, but just a little thinner.
Woose's size comparison is spot on.
Also, no beards on the females, and instead of short for craftsman, it's tied back and mixed in with the rest of their hair. For parties and such, they can untie it, and it will fall in front. Warriors keep it long, but not too long with shaved heads. Keeps it out of their way. Only nobles have incredibly long hair and beards. So much so that kings don't need a rug leading up to their throne, they can just lay down their hair.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 11:25:06 pm »

This is how I visualize dwarves:

or, alternatively:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:27:01 pm by riffraffselbow »
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2009, 03:00:21 am »

I honestly don't visualise dwarves. The thing I get when I think about 'picture of a dwarf' is probably one of the D&D ons in the OP, but just 'dwarves turns up nothing.

As for the whole size thing, I think that a good guide is the creature's [SIZE: characteristic minus one being their height in feet. Dwarves ang goblins five foot, humans and elves six, kobolds four. Of course there are exceptions, especially at the high end of the scale, but i think it's a decent guideline.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 03:29:28 am »

Shouldn't it be possible to work out the size scale based on the size of a cat and the size of a person?

--EDIT--

A Cat is size 3, a Dog is size 5, a Human is 7 and a Horse is 9. Since Dogs can be trained into hunting and war variaties it seems reasonable to assume they're fairly big dogs, so a size differential of 2 is approximately the difference between a human and a horse, or a cat and a dog (this suggests compound scaling difference), assuming Size is not related to height but rather to 'mass' so to speak.

Based off that, i'd say each size increase is about 50 - 75% larger than the previous increase.

This looks around about right in a very general sense to me, and would put Dwarves at about 4 feet tall.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:36:13 am by Neruz »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 08:25:52 am »

So elephants are, what, 230-925 feet tall? :P
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2009, 08:29:31 am »

So elephants are, what, 230-925 feet tall? :P

well, you know, give or take.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2009, 08:48:46 am »

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2009, 10:17:09 am »

[Dwemer]

Dwemer look more like dwelfs o_0

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 10:56:19 am »

Considering the Dwemer are (were?) elf-sized elves, that's a fairly accurate statement.

I myself prefer the usual Norse mythology / Wagneriran depiction.  Alberich and Mime would probably have fit in quite well in Dwarf Fortress.

A nice representation of Wagner's Alberich.  He's the one on the right, of course.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:59:30 am by Judas Maccabeus »
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Buddybud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 11:03:00 am »

i see them as something near this...rather cliche but there ya go......

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2009, 11:58:11 am »

How about this? Minus the two in the back, and the kid.

What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2009, 02:14:11 pm »

How about this? Minus the two in the back, and the kid.

The injury is definitely dwarvy, and the shortness.
Personally I visualize dwarves as being 7 feet tall forest dwellers who love animals and trees. Yeah, take that.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2009, 02:58:38 pm »

Well, referencing to my megaproject, I kinda envision my dwarves; especially my lead-foreman "Cid" Kalrethdakost to look very closely to this. Especially when in the air; although, right now, he's/they're just wearing normal garb.

A truly epic engineer/foreman/miner to pass by. Why else do you think he was hired for the project? Despite all the stress and ambushes and etc. interfering with the project, this guy is freaking hardcore. I think by take off, he should have something close to this when he takes the captain's seat; at least on it's maiden voyage to the capitol. But you know? After all the crap he and his people have suffered making the damn thing, I think he might snap and hijack it claiming it his own. After all, they will have the only dry-dock for the time being for all services for the ship. Plenty good reason to secede.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2009, 06:23:18 pm »

Considering the Dwemer are (were?) elf-sized elves, that's a fairly accurate statement.

Details, details! They were very mechanically minded, just like DF dorfs. And I can't help but admire the dwemer outlook on life, their ambition, and their spirituality (or rather lack thereof).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5