Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Images of dwarfs/dwarves; how do you visualise them?  (Read 28426 times)

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Images of dwarfs/dwarves; how do you visualise them?
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2009, 08:24:44 pm »

I just picture them as short, stocky humans, waist to chest height on an ordinary adult human (particularly tall ones being shoulder-height). The dwarves in DF are probably more human than the humans are.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2009, 09:51:05 pm »

I always like to imagine the humans as very normal humans, farming (by the way, why don't towns have accompanying fields?) or trading to feed themselves, and not (for the commoner) not aspiring to a future of much more than hard, honest work and honest rewards, or maybe to make life safer and easier. Most of their really ambitious people become traders or adventurers.

Anyway, I always like to characterize them as being alarmed or disturbed by the dwarves tendency to eat cats and create magma deathtraps, but at the same time not really having any beef with them (and wondering at their crafts).

I always like to imagine the dwarves as being addicted to alcohol, and permanently buzzed. Again this being my DF image, they become 'drunk' when their blood-alcohol decreases. Normally they don't have a strong sense of duty- when a leader leads his country to grandeur, it's his grand. A dwarf who dutifully helps do anything that benefits the whole fortress is mostly looking for their own benefit in being part of a strong community; other dwarves being happy is a bonus (unless they're friends). Either that, or I slap on a samurai code of honor to explain their actions. Dwarves are almost always proud. I always imagine the mechanics as creatively-challenged Machiavellian villains, but their general wish to kill things is directed towards the enemy- besides, the mountainhome provides their resources.

Elves are backwards in their moral priorities, and bigots, but they want what's best. Of course, how dare any dwarf that lives in the rocks tell them what's best?! They see bodies only as a vessel for a soul, and it's just nutrients when dead- either to be eaten or returned to the soil for plants. How dare dwarves try to greedily keep the earth's materials?

Goblins are poor and mean (in the older sense of the word). Goblins are big kobolds, like wolves are big dogs. Their societies are a warrior hierarchy. Nothing too creative to speak of here. I can imagine them almost as good guys sometimes though, starving in their caves while they look at the dwarves' shining towers and +RENDITION OF AN ENGRAVING OF A CHEESE WEDGE+s, and trying to take what the dwarves have in abundance.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2009, 04:28:14 am »

Dwarves are stoic, voilently masculine and gleefully mad.

Elves are self-righteous hypocrits who look down on everyone.

Humans are manipulative and xenophobic.

Goblins are hateful and stupid psychopaths.

Kobolds are humanoid vermin... scavenging for the scraps of greater races.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2009, 04:12:27 pm »

Yes, yes, I know, they're Persian/Assyrian ripoffs, so it's not that different from making them Nordic ripoffs... But at least they're not so goddamn cliche. And like I said, it's primarily their mindset that makes them so attractive for me.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2009, 04:40:17 pm »

Those look like the Dwemer from Morrowind (Elder Scrolls III). Note, the dwemer are actually the 'Deep Elves' and not how we think of dwarves at all. Supposedly they were named by giants.

They came to exist largely because the first two games had dwarven weapons and armor, but no dwarves. When it came time to explain it though, Tolkien (which I don't believe to be different from AD&D) wouldn't suffice.

Another possible image of dwarves is as little, burrowing humanoids that steal booze.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Stove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2009, 08:57:48 pm »

Yes, yes, I know, they're Persian/Assyrian ripoffs, so it's not that different from making them Nordic ripoffs... But at least they're not so goddamn cliche. And like I said, it's primarily their mindset that makes them so attractive for me.
It isn't just that they were based on Persians, but the fact that that specific piece of concept art was obviously based on that specific illustration of Persians.
I saw a theory posted in another thread that the original dwarves of Norse mythology were actually inspired by Persians, who had advanced metallurgy at the time.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2009, 09:44:17 pm »

Another possible image of dwarves is as little, burrowing humanoids that steal booze.

Of course, in Dwarf Fortress, that job is taken by the mountain gnomes.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2009, 12:06:50 am »

There's THESE Dwarves

Or, there's THESE Dwarves

and for the one who really things out of the box, there's THESE Dwarves

All dwarves look the same. There's little to no difference in the series, they're all short, beardly, violent men(and women) who drink lots of booze, invent shit, and forge great axes/hammers. They commonly talk in a scottish accent, and no matter how you dress 'em up, they're ALWAYS. THE. SAME.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:16:32 am by Im_Sparks »
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2009, 04:14:39 am »

If I had to pick one picture from the OP that reminds me most of DF dwarves, it would be the Scandinavian dwarves at the forge by Brian Froud and Alan Lee.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2009, 05:57:23 am »

Dwarves aren't always the same, have you ever read Artemis Fowl? Now there's a disturbingly original take on them.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2009, 06:13:12 am »

Oh yes, Colfer had me pretty confused when I first read that.  When I think dwarf the first thing that comes to mind is something similar to the D&D image in the OP.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2009, 07:38:23 am »

I prefer Warhammer dwarves :)
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2009, 08:21:07 am »

I assure you, there are some very strange dwarves out there.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2009, 10:40:00 am »

Such as? I may have an incredibly narrow view of dwarven portrayals, but aside from the Assyrian Elder Scrolls dwemer I'd be hard pressed to come up with a single case of dwarves not being based on Nordic mythology.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5