Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Reveal with v 40d9  (Read 4386 times)

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
Re: Reveal with v 40d9
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 12:18:49 pm »

Tried the compat mode, and still fails on Vista and 7RC.

I think the exe got messed up somehow... because it's throwing a old version of the program file to be sure.
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 04:47:59 pm »

I'm running vista, and i don't even get a crash report. When i run reveal a window opens only to close a split second later. I can't even see anything that's on the window before it closes down. And my map stays unrevealed.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 05:21:18 pm »

I'm running vista, and i don't even get a crash report. When i run reveal a window opens only to close a split second later. I can't even see anything that's on the window before it closes down. And my map stays unrevealed.

Do you know how to run things from a command line?  Reveal is a text mode program; it doesn't pop up a dialog box with any error messages, it just prints them into the text window.  So if you run it from the desktop any error messages just disappear.

I'd like to make this work for you Vista users, but without the source code, it's really hard.

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 06:02:36 pm »

Do you know how to run things from a command line?  Reveal is a text mode program; it doesn't pop up a dialog box with any error messages, it just prints them into the text window.  So if you run it from the desktop any error messages just disappear.

I'd like to make this work for you Vista users, but without the source code, it's really hard.

An error has occured:
  this version of DFLib was not built for that Dwarf Fortress version, but v0.27.169.33d

That's what it said when i ran reveal from the command prompt

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 06:06:06 pm »

I think I found a way to globally disable ASLR.  I cannot recommend doing it though, as it removes a layer of protection against malware.

set HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\MoveImages to 0 and reboot.

Documented at http://taossa.com/archive/bh08sotirovdowd.pdf page 12.

Again, I don't recommend this.

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 06:13:40 pm »

I think I found a way to globally disable ASLR.  I cannot recommend doing it though, as it removes a layer of protection against malware.

set HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\MoveImages to 0 and reboot.

Documented at http://taossa.com/archive/bh08sotirovdowd.pdf page 12.

Again, I don't recommend this.

I dun wanna destroy my new computer, is there another way to get reveal workin?

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 06:16:59 pm »

An error has occured:
  this version of DFLib was not built for that Dwarf Fortress version, but v0.27.169.33d

That's the standard error it gives when it can't read from what it thinks are the proper memory locations.  So that's what all the Vista users are getting.

If anyone considered themselves skilled at hex-editing, you could editing the Dwarf Fortress.exe:
  • For version 40d9, change byte 176 from 40 to 00.
  • For version 40d11, change byte 17E from 40 to 00.

I'd like to know whether this helps.

Technical: that's the DllCharacteristics field, and bit 6 (26 = 40) is assigned as ASLR permitted for this EXE or DLL.

As a side effect, this will screw up Tweak's versioning system.  But Tweak doesn't work for 40d9 or 40d11 yet anyway.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 07:53:45 am »

An error has occured:

That's the standard error it gives when it can't read from what it thinks are the proper memory locations.  So that's what all the Vista users are getting.

If anyone considered themselves skilled at hex-editing, you could editing the Dwarf Fortress.exe:
  • For version 40d9, change byte 176 from 40 to 00.
  • For version 40d11, change byte 17E from 40 to 00.

I'd like to know whether this helps.

Technical: that's the DllCharacteristics field, and bit 6 (26 = 40) is assigned as ASLR permitted for this EXE or DLL.

As a side effect, this will screw up Tweak's versioning system.  But Tweak doesn't work for 40d9 or 40d11 yet anyway.

Did the hexedit, and it indeed does work on Vista. I will try 7RC later.

Damn these programs and their tricky ways...
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 06:31:16 pm »

Just to let people know,

I decided to try writing a wrapper around reveal that would feed it the proper addresses for the currently running DF process.

I'm making good progress, getting the proper results, and plan to have something out on DFFD by the end of the weekend.

Edit:  All right, I have a testing version posted on the DFFD.  Reveal2.

I have not actually tested this under Vista, as I don't have Vista at home.  So I'm depending on your feedback.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 06:30:19 pm by 0x517A5D »

Freaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 09:23:15 pm »

Reveal2 works fine in Win 7 x64 with an unmodified d11 \o/

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 12:54:37 pm »

Good to hear.

Other reports, positive or negative, are extremely welcome.  (Hint, hint.)

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 01:50:17 pm »

R2 also working fine in 7 x32 40D11 here.

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 11:23:36 am »

Worked for me. Vista x64. Thanks man!

ratskeller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 11:31:30 am »

Is there any way to be able to build magma buildings with this? Its a real pain having to give them up.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 12:00:09 pm »

One of the major tools (Dtil, Dwarf Companion, Tweak) has it but I don't recall which.  Also it may not be updated for the 40d# series.

I could look at updating enable_magma_buildings.exe if that turns out to be necessary.
Pages: 1 [2]