Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Suicidal Kittens  (Read 1538 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Suicidal Kittens
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 03:34:33 pm »

Greetings!

Unfortunately, there is no such system in the game except locking the animals in a room (rather difficult to do to all animals (^_^;; ).

I wanted to point out the only things you can do to at least diminish the chance of something so catastrophic to happen:

* Pets tend to check up on their owners at least once in a while. Thus, making sure that the owner works FAR away from the defenses/dangerous zones increases the probability that the pets are not even close enough to reach the goblins in time.

* Pets also like to hang out around your meeting areas and the location of the wagon. The latter can be quite annoying while the former is quite nice as you can use multiple meeting areas far away from the danger to again encourage the animals to keep clear of trouble.

* Vermin does seem to have at least a slight tendency to appear around food stockpiles. Having a major food stockpile far away from any danger is again a good way to keep your vermin hunters out of trouble.

* In addition, cats will also bring the remains of the vermin they kill to the refuse stockpile. Thus, having a stockpile for such refuse deep down in your fortress where neither goblin nor dwarf ever wander also helps preserve your cats (provided it is the only stockpile accepting such remains, of course).

I know, this is not much and you are probably aware of most of it, but still I figured you may miss one or the other of these points.

I am sorry to hear about the catastrophy at your fortress and wish you and your pets good luck.

Deathworks

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Re: Suicidal Kittens
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 09:39:21 pm »

Have lots of ppl with butchery enabled so that when you slaughter kittens it doesn't take too long.

There's also examples of kitten killing devices in the map archive. I've seen two so far, but can only find one:
http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/poi-7877-thecatwalk-kittendisposalmadesimple

I made my own device and was able to kill I think about two per pet owner before they got visibly upset (red down arrow).
Pages: 1 [2]