Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Creature Lab!  (Read 8919 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
The Creature Lab!
« on: February 13, 2009, 03:23:49 pm »

I've tried to search, but I haven't found a similar topic, so here we go!
We know lot of informations about the upcoming version and it's capabilities. I've realized today, that we will be able to mod in Aliens even. Hard natural skin [outer layers], acid blood etc...everything will be possible to add via the RAWs. Amazing!  8)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, what kind of creatures would YOU like to create in the next version? [Only post about "valid" creatures, which should be possible to mod in!]

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: The Creature Lab!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:35:08 pm »

I'll be adding in my old Eye creatures that were part of a table-top wargame a friend of my and I made.

The background is a bit odd, mostly off of greek myths. Basically, we had it so that a cyclopes had sided with the Titans against the gods and been banished for it. In addition, his eye was torn out and handed to him. He then turned his eye into a separate creature so it could describe the world to him. Over time, he made more of these eye creatures, and they bred and multiplied. Each one had strange facets to it, like antennai, crab claws, spikes for hands, and so on. Later on, when the gods decided that the dinosaurs were a failed experement and destroyed the world a city of intelligent dinosaur people (the dyansaurai) were banished to that same pocket world as the cyclops. They then fought with the eye-creatures for dominence. Much later, a city of humans that worshipped Hera displeased Zeus, and he was going to destroy them. So Hera sent them to this pocket world as well. Eternal wars of dominence between the three races ensued.

I already have the Dyansaurai in my mod, and now I can make Eye creatures. I'll have a number of different castes, each geared towards different traits and probably better for different things. Depending on how all the numbers and traits work out. I'll probably have different jobs and positions linked to different castes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 03:44:21 pm »

Greetings!

Actually, I do not mod the game, so this will probably never happen. Anyhow, if I were to mod the game, I would probably try to improve cats to make them a bit more aggressive and efficient. I still have fond memories of the cats who earned names in the 2D version by killing underground river creatures, and having cats fight slugmen and the like would be really nice. (Sorry, I have no idea whether this is actually modable or not. As I said, I am not really a modder)

Deathworks

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:58:17 pm »

Hmm... I suppose that with this, you could make feral cats and dogs that are separate castes from domestic ones and have different behaviors. Same with Wild horses.

Alright, a Bone Being. It's a 16-foot tall shambling pile of bones and skulls. It's heart is the ancient skull of a necromancer Lich, hidden in it's depths. Once this unholy relic is crushed, the force maintaining it's animation causes it to collapse into hundreds of bones.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 05:00:10 pm »

Hello!

Alright, a Bone Being. It's a 16-foot tall shambling pile of bones and skulls. It's heart is the ancient skull of a necromancer Lich, hidden in it's depths. Once this unholy relic is crushed, the force maintaining it's animation causes it to collapse into hundreds of bones.

Oh, kind of a bone golem with a heart. This made me think of the following: It would be awesome if the game could generate a name to be linked to bodyparts. You know, so that the necromancer's skull could actually have some name attached. This would make for some nice engravings, I think, as engravings can include organ/bodypart damage (I rather not think about all the engravings about broken fourth toes).

As for the modding potential, I am actually also a bit curious about the alternative world schemes and how they work out. You know, mods turning it into Elf Fortress, or the Drow Fortress mod. While I am not that knowledgable about these, I would think that a greater flexibility with creatures could help increase the flavor for these (especially the drow mod, I guess :) :) :) ).

Deathworks

GoreTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • Actually a brain in a jar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 05:16:39 pm »

Elder things, Shoggoths, Cthulhu spawn and such other Lovecraftian beasts.
"Who's John Galt?"

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 07:33:31 pm »

All I want is minifigures sweating toxic plastic and suits of armor that bleed dark clouds that don't freeze everything they touch.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 08:04:22 pm »

Obviously my dragondudes.  It will be interesting setting up scales, setting up the females to be slightly larger than the males, maybe even set up some larger castes that are better at combat than average, or perhaps different scale coloration effecting heat/cold immunities. Possibly breath weapons too if I can give them breath attacks that aren't overpowered like it currently is.

Then probably a good ol Final Fantasy bomb wandering the overworld, which will basically just be a high temperature gas in a really thin skin.

Give female dwarves beards.  And try my darndest to make the beards stay just slightly shorter than males.

Then lastly try really really hard to make a creature made completely out of gas, that is completely immune to all typical forms of attack.  This one probably won't work out though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 08:28:25 pm »

Flying mantaray/whale like Balloncreatures. The herbivores would life in herds while the carnivores hunt in packs of 2 or 3. The later get somekind of breathweapon.

Plantcreatures, Giant honey-ants that can be "milked", Crystalhedgehogs with ice-needles for attacks, Centipeds, a creature which is an mix between bug and Mamal which has 20 little poisonballons on its back etc.

Water, steam, fog, wind, blood, wood and soil elemetars as well as mixided elementals say a water elemental with firecore and many more. A Glass-shard-golem.

Comon chimaeras.

That all and a good bunch of RL creatures like skunks, seals, Kangaroos and anything that may fit.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:30:35 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 08:48:14 pm »

Plantcreatures

These.  I'm considering some kind of Shroom Man with tower-cap bones and plump helmet flesh that spits wads of plump helmet, and secretes dwarven wine onto its skin and surrounds itself with clouds of dwarven wine mist.

Maybe real, functional treants with proper bodies for each of the tree types.

Frog demons can be all slimy and maybe exude a stupifying vapor.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 10:41:10 pm »

Then probably a good ol Final Fantasy bomb wandering the overworld, which will basically just be a high temperature gas in a really thin skin.

Heh! I remember these! I wonder if we can make them generate more gas when hit if they haven't combusted?

I'd like to see some sort of Gryphon like from the Sara Douglass Axis Trilogy:

Real spoiler here if you ever want to read the series:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 10:45:05 pm »

Zefies!

They will become more than a half-meme!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 11:23:43 pm »

Oh, kind of a bone golem with a heart.
Oh. My. God.

That is the perfect tagline for the comic thing I am eventually going to draw.

Okay, so, the idea is that there's an animated skeleton who goes to seek his fortune in New York City through sheer grit and determination. He gets harassed by a prejudiced crooked cop, but he perseveres. Eventually, the animated skeleton saves a bank full of hostages during a holdup. Among the hostages are the crooked cop's wife and daughter.

The cop realizes we're all animated skeletons on the inside, and he becomes friends with the protagonist.

That's just the basic outline. Other stuff will happen too. Something with Chinese gangsters stealing a giant frozen tuna.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 07:21:51 am »

Okay, I am just wondering: Will it be possible to mod in a proper Balrog or let's say a Demon of Fire?
These creatures must have...:
- Flaming and extremely hard "skin"/outer body layer, which radiates heat. -> Items/creatures should catch on fire, if they are close enough to the Balrogs
- Flaming sword
- Flaming whip
Some additional fun stuff:
- "Fire blood" -> When the flaming skin of the Balrog has been cut [outer layer], a jet of flame should break out of the wound.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:28:19 am by Tormy »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 07:29:45 am »

That is all.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5