Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The Creature Lab!  (Read 8921 times)

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Creature Lab!
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2009, 04:12:54 am »

Why not just go with the DnD set of dragons?
It works perfectly for me in games.

You know, with the caste system you could have the chromatic dragons and the metallic dragons be two separate species, with (Red, Green, Blue, Black, White) and (Copper, Brass, Bronze, Silver, Gold) being castes.

I could see the metallic dragons having a strict caste hierarchy; gold dragons being born less frequently and being generally more powerful than silver dragons, and so on.

The chromatic dragon castes could all be born with the same frequency, but each caste has very specific environmental requirements, so only red dragons hatchlings will survive infancy if born near magma vents, only white dragon hatclings are likely to survive in the tundra, etc. (I'm trying to think of what other environmental factors caste survival can be made to depend upon other than temperature; I'm sure somebody has some clever thoughts.)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2009, 07:24:00 am »

Dragons. Lots of them. They'd all be different species with different biomes and stuff. Here are a few of my ideas.

Red Dragon (D): The basic, fire breathing dragon. It's going to be the same as the current dragon except if Toady gives them different color scales, I'll change that to making them only red.

Green Dragon (D): Forest dragons. They are slightly smaller and faster than red dragons, and breathe stun poison. Elves would be immune to their poison effects.

Gold Dragon (D): These would shoot globs of molten gold and chunks of gold at you. Their scales are made of solid gold.

Iron Dragon (D): Mountain dragons. They don't breathe anything, but their scales/claws/teeth are made of iron. Dwarves are the best at taking these out since they have steel and adamantine.

Wood Dragon (D): These dragons are wild, non-megabeast animals. They are created by elves and are made of solid wood. They are immune to pain and stuff, but are small and have no breath.

Good ideas. I just wanted to mention one more: White Dragon. [Megabeast, breathes cold, lives in cold regions]

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2009, 07:43:40 am »

How about the fabled booze dragon? Basically, it does what it sounds like it would.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009, 12:53:16 pm »

Why not just go with the DnD set of dragons?
It works perfectly for me in games.
I don't play D&D and know very little about it. Also, I like making my own stuff up.

Here's two more:
White Dragon (D): Breathes freezing clouds and possibly shoots chunks of ice.
Rot Dragon (D): This dragon is like the swamp dragon but tougher. Its teeth, skin, claws, and breath are all sources of a deadly venom that causes your skin and flesh to rot before your eyes.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2009, 01:08:33 pm »

Rot Dragon (D): This dragon is like the swamp dragon but tougher. Its teeth, skin, claws, and breath are all sources of a deadly venom that causes your skin and flesh to rot before your eyes.

How cool would it be if the Rot Dragon wasn't immune to its own secretions?  It would probably need NO_PAIN or something, but it would be like the very incarnation of decay.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2009, 02:16:13 pm »

How cool would it be if the Rot Dragon wasn't immune to its own secretions?  It would probably need NO_PAIN or something, but it would be like the very incarnation of decay.

That sounds fun, but basically it would be a self-killing megabeast. I am pretty sure that it wouldn't survive 10y in the worldgen even.  :D

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2009, 02:34:58 pm »

Skeletal Rot Dragon?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2009, 02:42:40 pm »

That sounds fun, but basically it would be a self-killing megabeast. I am pretty sure that it wouldn't survive 10y in the worldgen even.  :D

Hah, yeah, I don't know how worldgen would treat it.  But ideally the poison would work slowly enough that it could heal at about the same rate and maintain a really grotesque half-rotten equilibrium.  For attacks against other creatures, it could use another more powerful poison to which it IS immune.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 02:44:54 pm by Footkerchief »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2009, 02:44:05 pm »

Globins.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2009, 02:55:11 pm »

Bah, you have your D&D dragons wrong.
First of all, metallic/chromatic dragons have the same element line, except metallic dragons have TWO breath weapons.

All scales will be made of the same material, and should have a reaction to make "dragonscale bars" which can be made into armor :3

Here's a massive dragon lineup for you all:

Red dragon (D) - Fire dragon, dur
Blue dragon (D) - Your water dragon, breaths lightning, or the equivalent
Black dragon (D) - Your underground, acid spewing dragons
Green dragon (D) - Breathes poison gas
White dragon (D) - Ice dragon
Purple dragon (D) - Swamp dragon.  Breaths globs of poison
Gold dragon (D) - First metallic.  Paralyzing breath
Silver Dragon (D) - Stun breath
Copper dragon (D) - Magma breath
Bronze Dragon (D) - Decay dragon, breaths globs of it's own rotten flesh

Sub dragons:
Sea dragons (D) - Ocean dragons.  Breathes water and has water for blood.  Great economic resource
Iron dragons (D) - Iron dragons.  Breathes globs of molten iron.  Claws of iron.  Can be harvest for iron, so it is a great economic resource
Nature dragons (D) - Forest dragons.  Organs can be harvested for plant seeds, and said plants can make valuble dragonweave clothing, so it is a great economic resource.  Breathes dirt.
Demon dragons (D) - Appears in HFS.  Spits the HFS liquid
Sand dragons (D) - Deasert dragons.  Breathes sand, glass claws. Great economic resource
Wyverns (D) - To be trainable and to be usable as mounts. Great defensive resource
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2009, 03:35:39 pm »

Sub dragons:
Sand dragons (D) - Deasert dragons.  Breathes sand, glass claws. Great economic resource
Heheh I can just think of dumping magma on thses guys and the turning into glass.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2009, 04:39:43 pm »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2009, 04:54:35 pm »

Sub dragons:
Heheh I can just think of dumping magma on thses guys and the turning into glass.

Now there's a question; will dwarves use sand globs for glass making, or will they need to collect sand from tiles?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2009, 07:50:28 am »

Sub dragons:

Now there's a question; will dwarves use sand globs for glass making, or will they need to collect sand from tiles?

I am not sure, but oh man, if it will be possible to mod in creatures like that even....that will be fantastic. [..and I suppose that should be possible to do in the next version] :D
Eh, not only that, but what about creating a creature which spits out something edible? Walking food machines!  ;D

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2009, 10:10:33 am »

Sheesh, so many dragons! To liven things up, my ideas for this monstrosity.

Fire-breath is a given, as are horrific gore and biting attacks. But to add some flavor to this beast, a skin-secreted contact poison could be added that (if possible) induces tremendous fear.

After all, it's an elephant-carp-hippo-unicorn. It's effectively a living nightmare.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5