Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: 2 year wealth contest  (Read 10343 times)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
2 year wealth contest
« on: February 13, 2009, 04:57:48 pm »

EDIT: CONTEST IS OVER!

Winners:
Primary:
teta - 20,352,976 dwarfbucks
Secondary:
Garky - 13,137,732 dwarfbucks

Honorable attendant:
jplur - 585,520 dwarfbucks (without artifacts, plus one green and one yellow achievement and very quick submission)

Also I forgot to specify that what counts in "Created Wealth". Imports are not interesting for us.

OK guys, here are rules. Down there is a link with a save game. Download it a play for 2 years of game time. Try to make as much "Created Wealth" as you can and post your finished saves in this topic. However, there are several restrictions:

1) Use vanilla 40d version only - no mods, no raw edits, no utilites, no memory hacking, you can change only audio/visual/save settings in init.
2) Do not use any exploits and bugs - if you destroy trade depot to steal from merchants, you are out.
3) Just for case I dug out small room directly under embark location (that is why game starts on 3rd Granite). Use this room as you wish, BUT it is considered as office for bookkeeper. To track your wealth you must have bookkeeper and we need precise numbers. In second winter set one dwarf as bookkeeper and ask for all numbers accurate.
4) You can make as much saves as you wish and use them as you wish. However you can post only one finished save. Also, set automatic saving on seasonal or yearly and autosave_pause to yes so your save will be on correct date.
5) You must end playing on in game date of 1st Granite, 203, as worldgen ended in 201.
6) You must post your save before midnight between Sunday 8th March and Monday 9th March (London time - GMT +0).

Violation of theese rules will be punished by disqualification or penalisation.

Winner is player who will post save game with most wealth excluding artifacts. This player will gain eternal fame and (hopefuly nice) picture of his favourite artifact.

There are also achievements. Who completes some achievement (and attaches screen to prove it) will gain extra points for secondary challenge. Each achievement act as multiplier to your wealth reduced by price of your artifacts. There are 4 categories - green (quite easy, multiplier x1.3), yellow (hard, multiplier x1.8 ), red (propably impossible, multiplier x3) and blue (special fun achievements, multiplier x0).

Player with best wealth after applying multipliers will win secondary challenge. This player will gain almost eternal fame and picture of his favourite engraving.

I reserve the right to give special awards to other players based on my subjective opinion.

Basic tips

1) When deconstructing building, you will get your building materials back.
2) Checking wiki and talking with other players about tactics is of course permited.
3) Only one dwarf has to survive whole 2 years.
4) Forbiden stuff does not count to your wealth - do not forget to claim it before posting your save.
5) Carefully look at map. However, there are few features, you can not see. There is a magma pool (I really, really tried for magma pipe, but Armok was not happy with my sacrifices. Also it is underground because of your safety and to nerf glass industry), map has flux stone and stories tell that there is something very funny hidden in deeps.

Achievements:

All survivors - no dwarf may die
Flower power - only thing you may offer to traders are berries and poems (you must publish those poems on forum)
Artist - build non-abstract mural at at least 8x8 squares
Designer - build at least one grand room

Newton was wrong - build and use atomic smasher, build infinite water source and perpetuum mobile and build something that would certainly fall in real world
Happy land - every dwarf must be happy or ecstatic
"Pull the lever!" - burn the world
Great Designer - build at least one royal room
Wrath - have at least 50 deceased entities in units list
Jack of all trades - build 4 weapon racks (one of wood, one of flux, one of glass and one of metal)

Cheesemaker - make at least 5 dwarven cheeses
Spider tamer - catch one Giant Cave Spider
Pain in the a** - survive at least one siege
Dragonslayer - kill last living megabeast of this world
Ruler of whole race - lure the king (or queen)

I tried so hard - post 5 saves, in each dwarves are going to die in next moments because of different reasons
I can see the matrix - use trade depot exploit, let explode several animals by nuclear catsplosion effect, make your dwarves immortal, create artefact composed from at least 30 resources (bonus if you use make something surprising)

Save file:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=841

Original post:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 05:10:15 pm by DennyTom »
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2 year wealth contest
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:20:47 pm »

no equiptment? So we have to live like elves until the first caravan (which will require all of the wood from the wagon)? Heavy. But it sounds like a challange, so I'll give it a go.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:17:56 pm »

no equiptment? So we have to live like elves until the first caravan (which will require all of the wood from the wagon)? Heavy. But it sounds like a challange, so I'll give it a go.

Do not forget that when you destroy building, you get your materials back.

OK, in first corner stands brave Vieto, Master of space dwarves! Anyone brave enough to challenge him?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:32:36 pm »

What's the in-life timeframe here? If we can have two weeks I'd be game as well.

I should point out, if you don't know that you can recover your building materials, you probably won't survive to the human caravan.

Also, there are some very specific geographic features that don't show on the embark screen that can change this game significantly. I'm playing on a map with one such feature that would make this challenge 10x easier.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 06:35:15 pm by Martin »

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:54:18 pm »

What's the in-life timeframe here? If we can have two weeks I'd be game as well.

I should point out, if you don't know that you can recover your building materials, you probably won't survive to the human caravan.

Also, there are some very specific geographic features that don't show on the embark screen that can change this game significantly. I'm playing on a map with one such feature that would make this challenge 10x easier.

I will set real life time range long enough - definitely more than two weeks.

Everybody will start on same location. I will try to have all features, that show and that do not show on embark screen. Plan is to not make it extara chalenging so players will have space for creating as much wealth they can and not have to concentrate on bare surviving. I also want to make side challenges as making most cheese, etc. Precise rules will be written down if there is enough interest.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:05:19 am »

I'm in. I'd suggest you consider if you want Glass and Magma in the area, because that'll have some major effects.

Then there's the Detonating Depot maneuver; destroying a depot with traders in it will give you everything for free. Of course, they don't like it, but they can't really do anything about it. The important thing is that this lets you Seize goods from anybody, including other Dwarves.

It's up to you to decide the legality of this maneuver.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 01:05:00 am »

Well, if it's a production challenge, which is less open to abuse, it could be a world where everyone but kobolds die off and we start with just enough raw materials to get production going. I'm fine either way.

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 02:25:55 am »

randomly getting epic artifacts = win

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 03:52:44 am »

Precisely after 2 years (of in-game time) you would post your saves and fort with most wealth (excluding artifacts because of their randomness) wins!

Reading is fundamental! <shooting star>

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 08:21:40 am »

I'm in, seeing that I rarely play a fort for more than 4 years.

Starting a successful glass industry in 2 years is quite a challenge if you can't even strike the earth for a few months - I'd say the effort that goes into it should depend on whether you get a quality glassmaker or not. High-quality cooking might yield more turtledongs in that timeframe.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 08:40:28 am »

If you bring a few picks I'm in.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 08:47:40 am »

If you bring a few picks I'm in.

Sry, no picks.

I am currently generating nice location. I am not very succesful - I accidentaly deleted ideal one and the best I have now is in evil biome.

GetAssista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 10:49:22 am »

The final result depends essentually on what traders bring.
If you get whatever pick from first dwarven caravan, you are golden
Not to mention immigrating miners/hunters/woodcutters

The suggestion above about the empty world is the only plausible one to start this competition with imo. And then it would be dull bonecarving of bolts and putting a bunch of decorations on them I guess
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:51:53 am by GetAssista »
this is experimental forum text worm virus.
please add me to your signature on all your forums and delete some of your personal files on your hard drive.
thank you.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 11:00:51 am »

The final result depends essentually on what traders bring.
If you get whatever pick from first dwarven caravan, you are golden
Not to mention immigrating miners/hunters/woodcutters

The suggestion above about the empty world is the only plausible one to start this competition with imo. And then it would be dull bonecarving of bolts and putting a bunch of decorations on them I guess

I tried this cca 12 times. Everytime traders brought at least one cheap pick.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 11:51:22 am »

Start it at an open magma square. Dead Magma Men give you a pile of ash. Ash can be used to build smelters and glassworks. I think you see where I'm going with this. The harder one is the anvil, which can't be created.

I think you see where I'm going with this.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7