Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Wurm-Like game ?  (Read 28831 times)

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wurm-Like game ?
« on: February 14, 2009, 03:49:36 pm »

Well, the first time I heard about Wurm, I was totally excited about the features... a virgin land, with no building at all and practically no NPC, where players have to build every single construction and item that appear in the game by cutting trees, crafting item, digging, building roads, farming etc., and all that in 1st person view.. it was exactly the type of game I've ever dreamed of. But when I tried it, it was nice but... I didn't really liked it, and, unlike Dwarf Fortress, I've never managed to play more than several hours at it.

The reasons of why I didn't enjoyed it like I thought I would was :

- Technically speaking, the java engine is a terrible one to make game, especially a mmorpg.
- It was very hard to do anything alone, and I just spend a whole afternoon to make a simple dish.
- Really enjoying it need a lot of time and personnal investment, and you'll be soon or later forced to cooperate with other players (and since I can only play during weekend, and my native language isn't english, that's a bit tough)
- It was free... but not really. Without paying, you have access to only one server, who is heavily populated and builded, you're limited to level 20, you're low-priority to connect, etc
- I was disconnected -very- often during playing, which was totally anti-immersive and tiresome.

So what I want now is approximately the same concept as Wurm : A game, multiplayer or singleplayer (singleplayer will be even greater, I think), where you explore vast areas of wilderness, and build everything with your character(s), transforming the nature around you to a nice home, or even to a town, or something like that. Also, it has to be free (no charges) :)

So... anyone know a game like this ? I've already tried the following games :

- Dwarf fortress (hehe)
- Wurm (see above)
- Stranded (nice, but boring after you build every building)
- Clonk (great, but the characters are... difficult to control)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wurm-Like game ?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 04:01:11 pm »

You listed all that I know. But I don't want to say nothing at all, even if it's not entirely what you want.

Love http://www.quelsolaar.com/ appears to be shaping up into precisely what you want. It's not out yet, and it won't be free; the developer claims minimal costs just to support the server.

I'll come back when I find something else, heh. I think there's a DF mud run by the folks here... but I never tried it.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 04:34:58 pm »

Someone mentioned Roma Victor before, but it's pretty much a roman wurm.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 05:29:43 pm »

I read about it today. Seems nice, but if I understand well, not only you need to pay to create an account, but if you want to play decently, you'll have to pay to earn sesterces as well. Not for me :/

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 06:23:54 pm »

You listed all that I know. But I don't want to say nothing at all, even if it's not entirely what you want.

Love http://www.quelsolaar.com/ appears to be shaping up into precisely what you want. It's not out yet, and it won't be free; the developer claims minimal costs just to support the server.

I'll come back when I find something else, heh. I think there's a DF mud run by the folks here... but I never tried it.
*Puts on fake english accsent*
And pray, what is this tool of whichery young sire?

From what I can gather from the site, it seems to be somewhat like Google Sketch and Blender combined, and with an online feature.

Spiral42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 04:00:25 am »

*Puts on fake english accsent*
And pray, what is this tool of whichery young sire?

From what I can gather from the site, it seems to be somewhat like Google Sketch and Blender combined, and with an online feature.

Love is going to be an online multiplayer team-based game using procedural landscapes where the players are able to build bases, towns, cities, outposts, etc. in-game and apparently integrate some complex mechanics - voice-password activated doors, proximity minefields etc. What you've seen on the website is the VERSE suite that the developer, Eskil, put together to create the game. It's server based so it allows for co-construction much as the game will, but is an interesting app to just mess around with.
Watch the trailer: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/10/15/love-video/ 
and some other RPS info: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/10/23/rps-interview-love/
Add me on Steam: ColdSpiral

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 08:54:31 pm »

Thing with Love is that I have yet to see any actual Love news on the Love news page.
Indeed.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Spiral42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 04:01:40 am »

Thing with Love is that I have yet to see any actual Love news on the Love news page.
Indeed.
Well said - the devlog would be a much better devlog if he used it as a log of the game's developments or something, rather than as a sounding board for his observations - no matter how profound they may seem - about the rest of the world.
I'd like to know more about the game itself, though I doubt I'll ever get the chance to play it. Who knows?
Add me on Steam: ColdSpiral

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 04:33:44 am »

I read about it today. Seems nice, but if I understand well, not only you need to pay to create an account, but if you want to play decently, you'll have to pay to earn sesterces as well. Not for me :/

Its 10 Euro for an account (No further payments required) You can buy sesterces but its not really required, it can make stuff easier but when I played I never had to buy anything.

The main issue with it is getting started though, you kinda need a guild and the game is quite sparse.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 06:50:33 am »

From what I've read, Roma Victor seems interresting, and correcting several problem I've encountered with wurm (technical problems, for instance). Could you talk me a bit about it, Rilder, if you have played it ? (I assume you have, or at least you know someone who have)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 07:18:21 am »

From what I've read, Roma Victor seems interresting, and correcting several problem I've encountered with wurm (technical problems, for instance). Could you talk me a bit about it, Rilder, if you have played it ? (I assume you have, or at least you know someone who have)

See here:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30494
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 07:18:52 pm »

got interested in clonk but whoever programmed the character AI/pathing should never be allowed to program again. they go in opposite directions, get stuck on stuff, throw the wrong way, and move back and forth for reasons i cant understand.

lvl designs suck too. this one where this guy has a base at the top and the villages have to kill him....it snows, and the snow turns into water, and the villages drown....

so close to being a good game but sucks sooo much

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 09:53:06 pm »

got interested in clonk but whoever programmed the character AI/pathing should never be allowed to program again. they go in opposite directions, get stuck on stuff, throw the wrong way, and move back and forth for reasons i cant understand.

lvl designs suck too. this one where this guy has a base at the top and the villages have to kill him....it snows, and the snow turns into water, and the villages drown....

so close to being a good game but sucks sooo much
You're not supposed to use the AI.

Although I agree about the level design.
I don't play the official maps.
I make my own.
You have to be registered for that, though.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 10:33:07 pm »

i would use normal controls but they didnt design a control for people who DONT have numpad...AKA everyone with a laptop

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 10:43:16 pm »

A numpad is on some laptops. It's just overlaid onto the keyboard.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5