Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Wurm-Like game ?  (Read 28830 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wurm-Like game ?
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2009, 01:07:11 pm »

Heh heh... Winter... Get ready to die quickly due to frostbite!
that is what i wanted to try! (impossible with 10 days limit). remember that we are in DF forums, and losing is fun.

the problem with time limits is that there isn't any real challenge after you learn basics. and i know i would never fully explore what the game could do, because i would know that everything would soon be lost.
probably a good way to make people pay though

BlueFireLady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2010, 08:15:37 pm »

i haven't read the whole thread yet, but I'm interested in the same thing, I've played A Tale in the Desert, but everything gets deleted what a new tale starts and the player base can be down right awful as the devs TRY to cause drama so I really don't like that game.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2010, 08:32:25 pm »

Welcome to Other Games!

Yeah...Unfortunately, that's a common symptom of this whole genre of online games.  Starting drama becomes one of the most interesting things you can do.  I mean, they're fun games!  But neither ATITD nor Wurm have all that much conflict (at least on the free Wurm server).  So, you wind up with no common enemy, and no real common goals besides some vague guidelines.  That's a recipe for social problems.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2010, 09:23:50 pm »

Welcome to Other Games!

Yeah...Unfortunately, that's a common symptom of this whole genre of online games.  Starting drama becomes one of the most interesting things you can do.  I mean, they're fun games!  But neither ATITD nor Wurm have all that much conflict (at least on the free Wurm server).  So, you wind up with no common enemy, and no real common goals besides some vague guidelines.  That's a recipe for social problems.

This was my experience in Haven & Hearth as well. It's especially bad when you mix casual and hardcore players together.

Most of the people in my village (all IRL friends) treated it as a "chill out after work, have a beer, and mess around" game, but we had one villager that took it so seriously that she ended up creating a ton of artificial drama just to compel people to login more. The effect of demanding that people login caused everyone to quit instead of play more. *shrug*
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

BlueFireLady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2010, 06:25:18 pm »

My problem with WURM is that everything is degrading constantly. If I could just keep the things in my inventory without worrying about them being there next time I log on, I would be happy. Cause sometimes I get bored and walk away from a game for a few months. ;)

arkosmc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2012, 04:07:06 am »

Maybe somebody found something interesting?

I found (but not played)
http://www.dawntide.net/
Open world,
Free to build (anywhere but spawning island),
Travel by foot, on a horse, sail on the ships (civil, trade, war),
Naval battles in real time,
Crafting,
Monsters,
You can have your own NPC (don't know how it works)
any opinions?

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2012, 04:28:06 am »

dawntime ran out of money last year and development has stopped.

arkosmc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2012, 05:12:39 am »

and what about:

Link Realms - http://www.linkrealms.com
The Repopulation - http://www.therepopulation.com/
ArcheAge - http://archeage-online.com/
Craft of Gods
 ?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:20:29 am by arkosmc »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2012, 05:43:58 am »

The Repopulation - http://www.therepopulation.com/
Has the worst fucking login system I've ever seen. And then it nearly wiped my alpha sign-up sheet I spent like 10 minutes on.
ArcheAge - http://archeage-online.com/
Judging by the screenshots and videos, it's just another ordinary MMORPG with some Wurmy elements like planting and house building.
Craft of Gods
Deader than disco.

adriaans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2012, 06:34:45 am »

Salem by paradox (closed beta atm) which is a permadeath MMO is looking to be potentially very awesome.
-Knowledge is power-

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2012, 07:38:23 am »

(Didn't read the whole thread.)

I will say that Wurm has changed a bit since you last played.  There's now two server "clusters" of four servers each.  You can travel amongst the servers via boat or swimming if you're suicidal.  On the PVE cluster there's 3x servers and 1x "chaos" server where pvp is allowed, but only if you travel to the server.  On the PVP cluster there's 4x servers, with 3x "home servers" where three nations spawn, as well as one server in the middle with delicious resources and free-range PVP, as well as the ability to found your own nation.  Free players have a lot more options, but you still get the level 20 cap, and connection is a LOT more stable.  I disconnect from my own internet more often than Wurm disconnects me.

So in that regard, I'd suggest giving Wurm another try.  The payment per month is like $6 and there's usually some "mass recruit" village on the PVP cluster who will take anyone and everyone.

Otherwise...  I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned UnReal World yet.  It's extremely stone-age level wilderness survival, I think mods exist but in vanilla you can't manipulate iron at all.  Hunting is VERY hard until you really learn how to do it, and winter is harsh, for temperature, food, and boredom.  Temperature and wounds play a big deal, with bear fur being a coveted resource for how insulating it is, and minor wounds slowing you down significantly and making everything difficult.  You really need to stay wary to stay alive.  It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's very nice.  It's also a roguelike, so things only happen when you hit the buttons.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2012, 09:38:52 am »

Grinding was reduced in wurm too, skills level up 20(?) times as fast on the nations server, but its still a huge grind.
Somebody in our wurm village thread put it nicely (about  the reason why our village has desintegrated)
"They were play wurm, but then they realized they could be doing something fun"
Its subjective, but its true in some ways.
Nobody likes grinding.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]