Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Dwarves can fail  (Read 42043 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves can fail
« Reply #210 on: February 12, 2009, 04:34:48 pm »

Personally I think "it's realistic" trumps "it's a slightly annoying."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 12, 2009, 04:39:10 pm »

Personally I think "it's realistic" trumps "it's a slightly annoying."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Clearly you haven't met some of the guys at my local sheet metal shop.

/with their offers of eternal torment for 40% of cost. Devils!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 12, 2009, 04:49:07 pm »

???

Anyway, it's more complicated than pilsu stated; if the instance of realism add to gameplay enough to counter the annoyance (it's a game, it's not supposed to be annoying), then realism trumps annoyance.  If the realism does not add to gameplay value and only provides annoyance, then the annoyance trumps the realism.  If realism does not affect gameplay and does not annoy the player, then it is flavor, like trees changing color.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 12, 2009, 05:09:30 pm »

If the glove does not fit

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 12, 2009, 05:45:44 pm »

It's not unrealistic for an unexperienced farmer to make multiple suits of workable plate mail.  Ned Kelly, for example.
--> That armor is designed to stop black powder firearms and would probably be very difficult to actually fight in.

I seriously doubt that, in the process of making four suits, he somehow destroyed fifty kilograms of metal.
--> This I agree with, although you have picked a bad example. I don't think anyone has said metal ought to be lost, only that a deformed/shoddy product made and become available for melting.

What people seem to be focusing on is material loss, which doesn't seem to be the OP's actual focus. Most of the "pro-fail" types seem to agree that material destruction would need to be handled on an individual basis. Also, I forget who it was but I agree that outright failure should be confined to Dabbler (50%?) and Novice (15%) [numbers my own] and should take vastly longer to perform the task than a professional. Perhaps 10x as long. This produces an opportunity cost for sudden profession shifts.

HOWEVER ...it is my feeling that if that was implemented, it would be absolutely necessary to have some form of apprenticeship system in place to allow players to minimize or eliminate material waste. Also! Persons without skill in appropriate categories but with that labor enabled should automatically seek out an appropriate craftsdwarf to apprentice themselves to. They could perform hauling duties to increase productivity while also gaining some experience in their new field.

For reasons which should be obvious, we regard information as easy to acquire. In the world of DF there is no internet, no phones, and barely books. (Gutenburg 1448, 15th century) Urist McPeasant can't simply whip out his Blackberry and google "gem cutting" and become an instant expert like we can. I suspect it would be difficult for us even WITH such assistance in many cases.

Not only does he have to build the tools (from memory, assuming he has seen a gem cutter at some point in his life) and remember how to use them (slightly easier at least on an extremely fundamental level) but also invent several lifetimes of tips, tricks, rules of thumb and points of tradecraft to become proficient or highly skilled.

The "trouble" in this case is not an annoyance; it is a realistic simulation that provides the player with several things:
1. The starting 7's skillsets will be more meaningful.
2. Immigrants with new skills will be valuable additions.
3. Training a dwarf in a skill becomes an investment and something to plan around.
4. Additional social and economic options (Master-Apprentice relationship)
5. Probable increase in productivity because Urist McLegendary no longer has to go get his own stone from the bowels of the fortress, his apprentice will clean his workshop of clutter and fetch stone for him.

...or at least that is what I support and envision.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 12, 2009, 06:23:32 pm »

It's not unrealistic for an unexperienced farmer to make multiple suits of workable plate mail.  Ned Kelly, for example.
--> That armor is designed to stop black powder firearms and would probably be very difficult to actually fight in.

So it doesn't have any quality modifier, and is inferior to armor created by a professional. 

Just the type of thing you'd expect a dabbling armorsmith to make.

I think part of the issue is that no modifier quality level is (at least, as I picture it) actually pretty shoddy relative to modern goods.  Like, mass produced Wal-mart goods are somewhere around ++ or **, thanks to the marvels of modern mass manufacturing

Putting in some sort of "shoddy" quality level would be fine (although I'd also support just renaming them), and apprenticeship is a good idea that shouldn't be bundled with this.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 06:25:04 pm by Qmarx »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2009, 06:29:07 pm »

The "trouble" in this case is not an annoyance; it is a realistic simulation that provides the player with several things:
1. The starting 7's skillsets will be more meaningful.
2. Immigrants with new skills will be valuable additions.
3. Training a dwarf in a skill becomes an investment and something to plan around.
4. Additional social and economic options (Master-Apprentice relationship)
5. Probable increase in productivity because Urist McLegendary no longer has to go get his own stone from the bowels of the fortress, his apprentice will clean his workshop of clutter and fetch stone for him.
This is a different suggestion, one which does seem reasonable, not too annoying, is realistic, and would add gameplay value.  The suggestion this thread is about, however . . . it is questionable just whether the annoyance is worth the flavor.
Just so I remember

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2009, 06:50:47 pm »

Ok then, we're on the same sheet of music. =)
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 16, 2009, 09:47:19 pm »

Farming and gathering currently use skill levels to decide how many of a certain plant you harvest, right?
I'm confident it's been suggested elsewhere, but why not make the amount produced relative to the skill of the dwarf producing something?
Items could have a min/max limit relating to worker skills, possibly even differing time requirements based on how many items are attempted / produced.
In theory, this combines the concept that a block of stone should be enough for more than one ring & that 'dwarves can fail' ... without having a dwarf completely fail to produce anything.
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]