Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: cigars and pipes  (Read 2128 times)

Mr.Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cigars and pipes
« on: February 16, 2009, 08:52:26 am »

Just a small idea, have craftsdwarf workshops be able to make smoking pipes, and have the occasional dwarves use them, maybe give a minor happy thought when they go for a smoke break. Just a little idea to add a bit more colour to the dwarfs.

Also, a question about new threads vs necromancy. necromancy is favoured here, but, if you post a new thread, it appears on the front page. If you post on an old thread, what happens?
If we're going to include modded creatures, skeletal crossbowwhales.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: cigars and pipes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 11:08:25 am »

I support this only if the dwarves can get cancer and die. and if the young ones can get hooked on it and die prematurely.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 12:02:25 pm »

Just a small idea, have craftsdwarf workshops be able to make smoking pipes, and have the occasional dwarves use them, maybe give a minor happy thought when they go for a smoke break. Just a little idea to add a bit more colour to the dwarfs.

Also, a question about new threads vs necromancy. necromancy is favoured here, but, if you post a new thread, it appears on the front page. If you post on an old thread, what happens?

It gets bumped to the front page.  Generally it's okay to bump old threads as long as you have a real contribution to make and the thread isn't older than, I don't know, 6 months or a year.  Threads from the 2D era probably aren't worth bumping.

This idea is already in the dev items, at least in basic form:

# Bloat43, THINGS TO SMOKE, (Future): Things to smoke, pipes, smoke circle events and so on.

But that doesn't seem to have been fleshed out much, so if you have more ideas, go for it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:04:58 pm by Footkerchief »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 09:35:13 pm »

Blowing smoke rings, and meerschaum pipes.
For they would be your masters.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 09:39:28 pm »

Threads from the 2D era probably aren't worth bumping.
Suggestions really don't have any kind of ties to versions, unless it's the obvious "3D maps!", so...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 09:52:58 pm »

+1!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 09:54:36 pm »

Threads from the 2D era probably aren't worth bumping.
Suggestions really don't have any kind of ties to versions, unless it's the obvious "3D maps!", so...

I just meant it as a ballpark measure of "definitely too old."

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 10:17:53 pm »

This seems to be along the lines of "have dwarves do something other than stand around when they are on break" I think another thing for them to do would be be playing games and drawing.
The great game of Warlocks!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 12:52:13 am »

I support this only if the dwarves can get cancer and die. and if the young ones can get hooked on it and die prematurely.

- Chance for clumsy/careless dwarves to set things on fire with cigarette buds
- Smoke generated when they smoke
- Some dwarves hate smoking and will either flee the scene and/or become enemies of smoking dwarves
- Mandates about it. Some nobles might allow it, some might ban smoking inside or outlaw it
- Withdrawal symptoms

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 01:03:29 am »

Tobacco smoke creatures (some kind of spirit? possibly undead, possibly more like an elemental),

Also tobacco smoke rituals (in some quasi generic Native American sense).

Tobacco smoke might attract some spirits, or otherwise affect them.

For the magic arc--magic/magicians that create things from tobacco smoke, obscure themselves with smoke, turn themselves into smoke, etc.

Tobacco smoke, and hallucinogenic smoke (marijuana, opium etc) might occasionally call a real being/monster into existence, in DF, as a special magical event. The creature might last (live) only for as long as the tobacco etc. was lit, or last only for as long as the smoker was hallucinating.

A smoke-related product might make for an interesting magical artifact, too.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 03:06:06 am by SirHoneyBadger »

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 03:00:00 am »

Also, it would be nice to remove "On Break" and add specific stuff like smoking so dwarves have a reason to buy stuff and keep the economy moving. Also would be nice if they carried stuff around if it made sense.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 08:11:14 am »

Also, it would be nice to remove "On Break" and add specific stuff like smoking so dwarves have a reason to buy stuff and keep the economy moving. Also would be nice if they carried stuff around if it made sense.

Yeah, hopefully this will make it in sometime:

# Req450, USEFUL BREAKS, (Future): Dwarves should actively pursue non-work related activities while they are taking breaks.

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 07:39:19 pm »

If anything to increase the happiness factor of dwarfs.

Also, artifact pipes!  If smoked they just make the dwarf trip ultra balls.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 07:54:46 pm »

uild, [r]ecreational, [h]ookah
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 03:07:16 am »

If anything to increase the happiness factor of dwarfs.

Also, artifact pipes!  If smoked they just make the dwarf trip ultra balls.

Well, I don't have any problem with hallucinogens and/or recreational drugs in the game, but I think it's a question of abilities/properties, with an artifact pipe.

And tobacco, and tobacco smoking, has a long-and reasonably romantic-history. Sure, we know it'll kill ya now, that's undeniable, but back in the day it had a lot of depth which could be drawn from to add to the game. 

Besides, I'm pretty confident that dwarf lungs work more efficiently (and are filtered much better) than human lungs.

And tobacco can be replaced, and easily enough, with a fantasy substitute that lacks negative connotations we'd rather not see in the game.
Pages: [1] 2