Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Alien Civilizations - Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'  (Read 18524 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Alien Civilizations - Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'
« on: February 16, 2009, 11:23:25 am »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7891132.stm

There could be one hundred billion Earth-like planets in our galaxy, a US conference has heard.
Dr Alan Boss of the Carnegie Institution of Science said many of these worlds could be inhabited by simple lifeforms.
He was speaking at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Chicago.

So far, telescopes have been able to detect just over 300 planets outside our Solar System.
Very few of these would be capable of supporting life, however. Most are gas giants like our Jupiter, and many orbit so close to their parent stars that any microbes would have to survive roasting temperatures.
But, based on the limited numbers of planets found so far, Dr Boss has estimated that each Sun-like star has on average one "Earth-like" planet.

This simple calculation means there would be huge numbers capable of supporting life.
"Not only are they probably habitable but they probably are also going to be inhabited," Dr Boss told BBC News. "But I think that most likely the nearby 'Earths' are going to be inhabited with things which are perhaps more common to what Earth was like three or four billion years ago." That means bacterial lifeforms.
Dr Boss estimates that Nasa's Kepler mission, due for launch in March, should begin finding some of these Earth-like planets within the next few years.
Recent work at Edinburgh University tried to quantify how many intelligent civilisations might be out there. The research suggested there could be thousands of them.

---

Now keep in mind, that he is talking about our own galaxy only, and as we know the number of galaxies is unknown.

^ The Hubble Ultra Deep Field shows over 10,000 galaxies in a mere 0.000024% of the sky.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Civilizations - Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 11:26:17 am »

Suggesting that there are "Just" microbes out there is a foolhardy assumption.
The aliens are coming...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 11:44:44 am »

The aliens are coming...

So? We just get them hooked on DF as well :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 11:47:37 am »

E.T. phone mountainhome.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 11:50:16 am »

I for one welcome our new bearded overlords.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 11:52:06 am »

New planets, new worlds... MY GOD, WHAT HAS DF DONE!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 01:49:03 pm »

What's so special about earth?

Life is an emergent property of the universe. Anywhere there are reactions- planet surfaces and deepest cores, gas giants, nebulae, deep space, and even the surfaces of neutron stars- there is the potential for life.

Even if earth was unique, we can be certain to find something lifelike out there... if we last long enough.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 02:28:36 pm »

Even if earth was unique, we can be certain to find something lifelike out there... if we last long enough.
Dun Dun DUNNNNNN....

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 02:57:14 pm »

I don't know about you people, but I really am excited for the prospect of space colonization.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 03:30:36 pm »

I don't know about you people, but I really am excited for the prospect of space colonization.

Hope you have snacks prepped for the long wait then ;)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 03:40:09 pm »

Non-deadly temperature and non-crushing gravity that can still hold an atmosphere?

Earthlike = good.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 03:50:44 pm »

Non-deadly temperature and non-crushing gravity that can still hold an atmosphere?

Earthlike = good.

Naturally, God or Evolution sees fit to make natives of an area find that area comfortable...
Thus deep-sea fish and birds, and polar bears.

And this variety is just on earth. near 2-dimentional creatures living on neutron star surfaces or creatures with blood of molten glass from Mercrious* worlds would find earth rather uncomfortable as well.

*(Like the planet Mercury)
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 04:01:41 pm »

Here is the basics of an old metaphysical equation concerning life in the universe: (i am sure its incomplete or not completely accurate as to the equation specifics  - i think its a million to the power of 10 when its done).

If 1 in a million stars have a planet than could support life &
If 1 in a million of planets that could support life does &
If 1 in a million planets with life has life evolved beyond micro-organisms &
If 1 in a million planets with evolved life have intelligent life &
If 1 in a million planets with intelligent life have discovered tool use &
If 1 in a million planets with tool using life forms have discovered technology &
If 1 in a million planets withg techologically advanced life have begun space faring......

then there must be a billion trillion of space faring life forms due the the enormous size of the universe.

The idea that any life we find will be feeble compared to our own is still humano-centric garbage undeserving of scientific merit.  As is the old 80's theory that if any life ever visited earth it would be peaceful because only peaceful life could advance to that level of technology without killing themselves, which is purely anti-human but clearly humano-centric thinking.  lets not even get started on the TERRIBLE story in the latest "Day the Earth Stood Still" movie.  By Armok, we should rise up and slay hollywood just for thinking of making that ... that ... theres just not word enough for it.  Wait, i got it!  That utterly ELVEN movie!

edited:  for spelling and removed potentially political thoughts.......
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:07:54 pm by Gorjo MacGrymm »
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 04:20:44 pm »

I remember that episode of one of them weird shows (something Zone or something Limits or something) where aliens visit us and are totally disappointed about how we kill each other with our primitive weapons and so on and so forth, and the leaders promise to fix that if he gives us more time, and we disarm and get rid of all our weapons and then declare world peace and crap. Then the aliens come back and laugh because they were disappointed that we sucked so much at violence, and he expected us to IMPROVE our weapons to be able to join their Empire. So they end up enslaving Earth or something.

Quite funny, and I didn't see it coming the first time. That was ages ago.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 06:30:12 pm »

Yeah same here, it's too bad that our generation won't experience it.   :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13