Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Alien Civilizations - Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'  (Read 18526 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Civilizations - Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2009, 06:37:42 am »

Stricktly speaking plassmids are circular code, still the data encoded has a start, end and usually directionality. (though can have code in both directions)

non-linear code would have to take the form of a grid or matrix.
I can't imagine how that would be decoded or translated...probably on more than one place at a time.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2009, 05:15:22 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliese_581_c
And
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliese_581_d
How far? ONLY 20 LY, and then.. TWO OF THEM IN THE SAME FUCKING SYSTEM?
Welp.
Yep, looks like we've wrangled 2 exoplanets, in the same system, in the habitable zone, that can support water, and as such, LIFE
OH YEAH.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2009, 10:29:04 am »

E.T. phone mountainhome.

Oh no... this isn't good.

That sentence sounded perfectly normal to me.

Then I realized that we have homes, not mountainhomes.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2009, 11:51:26 am »

The problem is communicating "verbally" with non-linear language, I think. The only thing I can see is either a two-voice sort of thing, or a sign language with lots of limbs/fingers/tentacles/whatever. Both sound clunky to me--linearity has the distinct advantage of only needing time and something relatively simple to manipulate.

Also, didn't we get huge gains from tracking alone when we started getting larger brains? And as for fighting w/o tools, let me point you to the UFC--we don't suck at it that much. If you've got a few seconds, you can find something sharp--hey, now we're knife fighting! And if you can find a stick, some string and a few more seconds, then you can make a spear. With a bit of tactics and a cool head, a group of humans can make it through quite a lot.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2009, 06:20:33 pm »

Holy crap! this is on bay 12 forums? what happened to all the magma? :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2009, 10:56:17 pm »

???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:38:10 pm by 0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0 »

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2009, 02:16:52 am »

Quick question:
I swear I recall hearing that intelligent life (about on par with human intelligence or better) was/is evolutionarily unfavorable? If this is the case, it would mean we've better odds of running into artificially developed intelligences I think a la messenger theory/cheap colonization machines.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2009, 02:31:22 am »

Evolution is situational, and thus we have no idea how often intelligence of human level would arise. It would probably be pretty rare, though.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2009, 02:41:26 am »

Evolution is situational, and thus we have no idea how often intelligence of human level would arise. It would probably be pretty rare, though.
Out of the billions of years and species we know of, it looks like only one actually achieved it, and we dodged extinction several times. Really rare.

Why is everyone so excited to find extraterrestrial life? It'll just be something akin to fungus or plants at best. And then it would be a biological hazard, all sorts of microorganisms we've never been exposed to. In fact, if we find a life supporting planet (there's a good chance to be at least microorganisms there from at least meteorites), I think it would be safest to just gas the sucker and then settle in once it's just us, and then what was the point of that alien life anyway? We can't colonize life supporting planets with life, we'd have to terraform the bare ones.

Stupid science FICTION where not only do aliens use the same senses and means of communication or thought as we do, but microbes might as well not exist in it. Guess what movie I saw recently.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2009, 02:45:56 am »

Oh well.
Somebody want to make a von-Neumann terraforming machines, then?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2009, 04:04:10 am »

Out of the billions of years and species we know of, it looks like only one actually achieved it, and we dodged extinction several times. Really rare.

Well, I wouldn't say only one achieved intelligence. If we include Homo neanderthalensis, Homo erectus, Homo sapiens idaltu, and Homo heidelbergensis as species that can be said to have been intelligent (sapiens idaltu almost certainly was), then sure, we're the only species on Earth with intelligence that remains, but not the only ones to have achieved intelligence.

You may say, that's cheating, they are our distant relatives. So? They are all different species. I feel all that held them back from being in our shoes is knowledge of agriculture.
!!&!!

0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2009, 05:43:17 am »

???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:38:42 pm by 0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0 »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]