Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Prison  (Read 3928 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prison
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 09:42:34 am »

Actually Carlin didn't find rape to be funny. He found jokes about rape to be funny when phrased properly. I personally see no way to implement rape in the prison and not violate Carlin's Law of Rape Jokes. It has no real comedic value, it would serve no purpose.

There is a Gender issue as well... remember that the Prison is Co-ed.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 04:55:20 pm »

I completely forgot LCS doesn't have genders. Well there's rape in female prisons too, isn't there?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 05:24:09 pm »

Jon has already said there will be no rape. I personally see no reason to include it. It's something skilled comedians struggle at making funny. I doubt we'll succeed.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 06:29:05 pm »

Why couldn't we just have the prison without the rape? Let's assume it's abstracted out.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 06:45:59 pm »

I don't think anyone has said we couldn't?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 07:00:56 pm »

I don't quite see how it is perfectly okay to have a mini-game where you forcibly BRAINWASH people (a form of "mindrape"), but displaying the text "You got raped" is totally off limits.

Not that I want prison rape. It's very pointless to add in and it is disturbing. I just don't get the opposition.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 07:59:32 pm »

Actually Carlin didn't find rape to be funny. He found jokes about rape to be funny when phrased properly. I personally see no way to implement rape in the prison and not violate Carlin's Law of Rape Jokes. It has no real comedic value, it would serve no purpose.

This is beside the point, but "Rape Can Be Funny" is the exact name of track four on George Carlin's Explicit Lyrics CD. That's what I'm referring to when I say George Carlin's "Rape can be funny" skit. I quote from the track: "Fuck you, I think it's hilarious. How do you like that? I can prove to you that rape is funny." He later used what according to him was an actual story from a newspaper involving a home invasion to help prove his point. I didn't laugh.

Why couldn't we just have the prison without the rape? Let's assume it's abstracted out.

We can, and that's what I'm intending to do.

I don't quite see how it is perfectly okay to have a mini-game where you forcibly BRAINWASH people (a form of "mindrape"), but displaying the text "You got raped" is totally off limits.

How many potential players of LCS are victims of kidnapping, brainwashing, or political violence? How many even know someone who was? Yes, occasionally you'll see kidnappings on television, but it's very rare in America. LCS is set in an extremely stable country with very little political violence, and that keeps things a little silly when you step back, even if the action is played serious. Though themes in LCS cover a lot of horrific things, but most of them are sufficiently rare in the setting LCS takes place in, and among the target demographic, that they can keep it at arm's length.

The same isn't true of rape. Political violence is very rare. Sexual violence is not. Many people who have played, will play, or might play LCS have been or know someone who has been the victim of rape or other sexual violence. While for some people who will play this game, rape may be a distant thing, even funny to them, for others, it's painfully close to home.

I can guarantee you that if you add rape to LCS, a number of people would stop playing the game, myself included. In fact, I'd likely stop working on it.

That's the difference.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 08:37:02 pm »

Okay, okay...
* Servant Corps backs away from my previous comment.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 08:40:41 pm »

Another point is that some absurdities can be worked into how the brainwashing is occurring. I'm at an utter loss to see how rape, particularly in the context discussed here, could be portrayed as anything but vicious and brutal. I see no room for satire, nor for any amusement value unless one finds rape to be inherently funny. I for one most certainly do not.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2009, 12:39:47 am »

To paraphrase one of my favorite authors: In one moment I saw all the pain in the world, all the hurts, and the only thing I could do to make the pain go away was to laugh.

I agree that rape is outside the scope of LCS. Perhaps if certain, more obscure issues were added, such as victims rights or similar, it would be possible to make a humorous attack or site action that influences it. I can't think of any such situation which would not be specifically offensive, but it might be possible. I would like to point out that it is already in the game, in the form of a newspaper article which tells of the initial stages of a possible rape. Specifically, a man gets cornered on his bed by his cellmates, and he has to choose between suicide, rape, and self defense.

It is a great goodness to laugh at that which causes us pain. Humor is our only defense against that which we cannot stop.

Edit: Just reading that link to OSC's article. Polygamy leads to excess males, as if that would be a bad thing. I've met numerous men who shouldn't be breeding, and yet get GF's and wives due to all the good ones being taken. Crazy fool. Writes a good story though.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 12:50:22 am by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2009, 12:42:13 am »

I completely forgot LCS doesn't have genders. Well there's rape in female prisons too, isn't there?

Actually LCS DOES have gender to my knowledge... but the Genders have absolutely no affect on gameplay. You can just as easily invite a male to a week of non-stop sex as it is a female no matter what Gender the inviter is.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2009, 12:51:07 am »

No genders, just random names that give the illusion of gender.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2009, 01:15:54 am »

No genders, just random names that give the illusion of gender.

Really? Ohh well I guess I was wrong.

I must be combining games in my head again.

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2009, 12:52:38 pm »

I'm having a bit of a problem with prisons, after I'm released I'm unable to Go forth to stop EVIL! the option for it is gray and it sort of keeps me from doing anything...help?
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2009, 01:27:23 pm »

When a person goes to jail, they are evicted from their squad. Re-make the squad or re-add the person to the squad and he can do what he used to.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4