Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Prison  (Read 3916 times)

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
Re: Prison
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2009, 01:28:21 pm »

I'm having a bit of a problem with prisons, after I'm released I'm unable to Go forth to stop EVIL! the option for it is gray and it sort of keeps me from doing anything...help?

Form a new squad.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2009, 02:12:22 pm »

I'm having a bit of a problem with prisons, after I'm released I'm unable to Go forth to stop EVIL! the option for it is gray and it sort of keeps me from doing anything...help?

From the main screen with the grayed out go forth command:
R - Review Liberals
Z - Form a new squad

It should be sufficiently self-explanatory from there; you just have to pick who you want in the squad and confirm.

Are you playing version 3.9, or version 3.18? You can check on the title screen. The reason I ask is because back in the days of 3.9, this was a common problem. But in 3.18, and several versions prior, some gray help text is displayed in the squad info area if you have no squad selected that instructs you on how to form a new squad. Since that text was added, questions about this have dropped off a lot.

3.9 is what you'd get if you downloaded it here off of the Bay12Games website. That's the last version Toady One worked on, before moving on to give full attention to the upcoming Dwarf Fortress. On the other hand, if you followed a link somebody posted in the forums, or on the LCS Wiki, you probably have 3.18 or so.

(If you are using 3.18, you can ignore the rest of this post.)

You can download 3.18 here for Windows:
www.jonathansfox.com/lcs/lcs_win32_3.18.0.zip

If you're on Linux, it's a bit more complicated. Check out the latest code revision (262) at this location using SVN:
http://lcsgame.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/lcsgame/branches/31104branch/

Then run the commands:
./bootstrap
./configure
make

This should configure and compile LCS for your Linux build. Note that you'll be building a version later than 3.18, and it's still under development. I'd refer you to the 3.18 build specifically, but it turns out that version doesn't work properly for Linux. Oops.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 02:14:21 pm by Jonathan S. Fox »

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2009, 01:06:38 am »

Thank you for helping and yes it was the squad thing.
I wasn't able to figure it out through the wiki so I posted here.
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2009, 08:47:10 pm »

Im sort of "meh" on the whole rape issue, I dont really mind if it is or isent in the game. Plus theres more to prison then rape anyway.(as people have stated before)

Im sure LCS could make prison rewarding, have any of you thought about escaping from prison? That would be pretty fun, with like a spoon or a forced escape or something.(not that it would be easy of course)

trav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2009, 12:28:58 am »

In response to the wall of text post on real time games.

I was under the impression that real time games did things based on time...
That's certainly how I implement my own games (maybe that's why they suck) with each pass running calculations as to what occurs over a specific time delta.

Actually come to think of it with my last game I decoupled rendering from game logic and ended up fixing the amount of time that would be calculated and then just did a number of calculations per frame depending on how much time had passed... 

Ok I guess that counts as turn based...

It certainly contrasts with a "Real Time System" like the one I did at uni which controlled a model train set, where things had to happen in real time so we used hardware and software that had execution times that were easy to calculate (as opposed to windows that could give the processor to whatever program it feels like at any time)

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2009, 01:09:13 am »

I was thinking for prisons, maybe there could be a two month period where after you get sent to prison, you can't do and it is just like abstracting two months. This would be to represent you setting up your 'network' that allows you to smuggle out orders. Now, during your two month absence, members with a certain Wisdom-to-Heart ratio would lose heart in the cause and return into legitimate society. This would make going to prison a little more risky, although with the current lack of sieges it's not much of a threat anyways.

Another idea I had would be the ability to set up networks in organizations like the Mob(who would control the car shop/chopshop and blackmarket, maybe more) and prison(for reasons above). I think it'd be cool to be able to deal with a mob that functions as a entity that has it's own goals, not just static locations. The Mob could have a feature where your order hits on local politcians, or special characters(Police Chief, for one).

Also, banks. We need banks to rob.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2009, 11:55:26 am »

(Please don't take the fact that I'm not responding to the prison discussion to mean I'm ignoring it; I just don't have anything interesting to say on that subject off-hand, I'm still following along and thinking about how to do it.)

In response to the wall of text post on real time games.

I was under the impression that real time games did things based on time...
That's certainly how I implement my own games (maybe that's why they suck) with each pass running calculations as to what occurs over a specific time delta.

You can do this, but it incurs complications when the game starts lagging. Suppose you have a player firing a very fast weapon that releases a single shot every thirtieth of a second, but the computer is only running fast enough for you to handle things eleven times per second. Now you need to generate 30/11 shots every time the game refreshes.

It's going to be hard to maintain a steady stream of shots because: 1) You need to spread the shots out so that each is fired at precisely the right time within the frame, and 2) You need to ensure that the correct number of shots (2 or 3) is fired this frame, instead of doing the same number of shots each frame and thus varying the firing rate from 30/second to somewhere in the range of 33/second or 22/second.

You can juggle these problems with a lot of fractional time calculations, but you're giving yourself way too much work by trying to calculate too large a delta of time. That's the problem with letting the time delta vary: it could always be "too large", encompassing many sequential events that have to be handled in an arbitrarily fine grained time sequence, if the computer is lagging.

Actually come to think of it with my last game I decoupled rendering from game logic and ended up fixing the amount of time that would be calculated and then just did a number of calculations per frame depending on how much time had passed...

This is what I mean when I'm talking about "turn based on a programming level". By keeping the time delta fixed, and just running lots of small iterations if the game is lagging, this kind of system would handle the above situation gracefully. You can change your firing rate into something integral, like "fire once every two frames" and the problem is trivial. The time delta stays small, you just handle the logic multiple times and only render once at the end.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]