Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Lowering Wisdom?  (Read 7526 times)

1sauber1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lowering Wisdom?
« on: February 17, 2009, 04:24:00 pm »

Yeaahhhh, I did some risky stuff, and now my leader's wisdom is 4, lowering my persuade skill cap to 8, and I'm literally at 9.99 persuasion, and my question is, can I lower Wisdom?
EDIT: Also, I got 23 of my teeth knocked out by a bullet (The fuck did that happen), what are the bad things about this, and if so, can I reverse it?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:27:12 pm by 1sauber1 »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lowering Wisdom?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 05:01:45 pm »

You lost charisma, not gained wisdom.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 06:14:43 pm »

EDIT: Also, I got 23 of my teeth knocked out by a bullet (The fuck did that happen)
Hey, if it worked for JFK...

Losing your teeth has made your charisma go down which is what brought your persuasion cap down. The only way to make it go up is to get more juice; there's no way to fix your teeth, unfortunately. All the good dentists are Conservative.

1sauber1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:03:53 pm »

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs136&d=09082&f=things610.jpg
See that Wisdom? That is the main problem, I can make up for the teeth, but I don't know what to do with the wisdom.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:07:22 pm by 1sauber1 »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:55:08 pm »

Live with it, alas. Wisdom gain is permanent.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:54:38 am »

You should be fine once you get 100 juice (and at a maximum of 20 juice per day, it really doesn't take long).

If you REALLY hate it, why not recruit a hippie, get said hippie up to 100 juice, then commit hari kari with your founder? (Ok, in this case it's more like walking up to a cop, shoving his/her gun barrel in your stomach, and saying bad things about their momma.  Same principle.)

Then, you'll have a new founder with 1 wisdom!  Yay!  My starting founder never seems to last long, guess I'm a bit too gutsy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 11:10:04 am »

Live with it, alas. Wisdom gain is permanent.

The fact that having high Wisdom is a negative is really jarring to me.

The Parody with Wisdom is lost due to the fact that you bypass it.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 12:06:58 pm »

The fact that having high Wisdom is a negative is really jarring to me.

The Parody with Wisdom is lost due to the fact that you bypass it.

What do you mean by "you bypass it"? And would it be less jarring if it were simply named "Conservatism" or "Corrupted Thought" or something like that, or is it more of a mechanics issue than the naming choice?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 12:33:50 pm »

Kinda both, it is hard for me to explain it.

By using the Name Wisdom it is by common sense a possitive trait... Yet the game treats it as a negative trait. Sure it protects Conservatives from being Brainwashed (which is Wisdom at its best) but it also injured Liberal's ability to be Liberal (Kinda brings a new meaning to the term: "Bleeding heart liberal")

Heart and Wisdom is soo blunt and vague at the same time it loses its satire. Heart seems to benefit both Liberals and Conservatives... but Wisdom only helps Conservatives... So that means that Liberals are insane Sociopaths OR the LCS are insane sociopaths... However the gameplay doesn't reflect this... In fact... The Conservatives make the Liberals seem sane despite the metagame making the Liberals seem insane. Really the "Crime Squads" make sense in having low Wisdom... but still

Mechanically Wisdom is MUCH harder to explain... It doesn't doesn't protect people from being brainwashed through Sex (which I consider Bypassing wisdom) and it is treated as a trait to be increased rather then a negative trait you would be lowering. (I wrote this sentence before the paragraph above it)

I am still confused... I still can't get it down... So please bare with me.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 04:36:40 pm »

You do know the saying
"Any conservative under thirty has no heart.  Any liberal over 30 has no brain."

Right?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 06:54:58 pm »

Actually, maniac, I've never hear it state like that before. In my experience it was always:

"If you're not liberal by the time you're twenty you have no heart; if you're not conservative by the time you're forty you have no brain."

But regarding the more general point, Wisdom and Heart play on fairly standard stereotypes. Liberals are compassionate but senseless, refusing to be "realistic" and consider the consequences of their actions (e.g., paying for social programs they want). Conservatives are calculating but selfish, refusing to show the least empathy and consider the consequences of their actions (e.g., people starving from canceling social programs).

Wisdom in particular plays on the common trope that Liberals are over-educated but still dumb: "You may be smart (Intelligence), but you don't have a lick of common sense (Wisdom)".

If I may drop one last justification-by-stereotype, a French idiom (generally accompanies by patting the appropriate sides of one's jacket): "My heart is on the left, but my pocketbook is on the right."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 07:04:15 pm »

Let us not forget the phrase "Bleeding heart liberal" :D

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 07:12:43 am »

just what did your leader do for the past 3 years?
wisdom cant be lowerd but it can be of set by juice.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 08:28:46 am »

Sheesh. In game mechanics, I'd be the worst liberal ever. I'd have more wisdom than heart.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 12:01:15 pm »

Maybe the wisdom=bad idea could be reinforced by a wisdom lowering mechanic.  So, wisdom gain becomes more common, but now you have a way to lower it again.  But to lower it you have to do something that's downright stupid.  I'm unsure what that downright stupid thing is.  Any ideas?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: [1] 2 3