Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Selling Cars?  (Read 6087 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Selling Cars?
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2009, 09:15:21 am »

Well honestly I'd be worried too. Those things should always be out of range of any city should a meltdown happen. It's like NASA's launch pad and cape Canaveral. (sp)
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2009, 12:02:48 pm »

What would be cool is to have some kind of RAWs in LCS so that we can add any building we feel like  8)

I'm currently working on a few trailing issues from making sitemaps customizable (it broke loot, so I still need to overhaul that), but after that, this is the next order of business. You will be able to create custom maps and associate them with custom locations.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2009, 03:05:13 pm »

That's awesome.

So that means no more huge switch / case structures? Since having a correlative integer for all things is a bit of a drawback IMO (everything in the game is a constant with some two digit integer)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2009, 11:50:35 pm »

Some of them will no longer be needed, but there's still going to be a need for others. For example, let's say you want a nuclear power plant on/off switch in your map. The only way to add that is with a specific tag that's checked against code and converted into an enumerated integer representing what type of hardcoded special feature it is. Personally, I'd rather use inheritance and polymorphism than a switch statement and enumeration for this, but that would take a lot of editing for no tangible gameplay benefit, and I'm a bit lazy when it comes to extensive behind the scenes work like that. And of course, a scripting feature would allow you to write dynamic special features that aren't hardcoded, but I don't honestly see myself managing to dredge up the time and effort to add that level of scripting support. It's already pretty ambitious that you can make maps using data files.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2009, 11:06:45 pm »

Well honestly I'd be worried too. Those things should always be out of range of any city should a meltdown happen. It's like NASA's launch pad and cape Canaveral. (sp)

Tons of people live around the space center. Cape Canaveral is a city.

S_Verner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2009, 04:22:26 am »

Chernobyl was not an accident, Chernobyl was caused by an incompetant official who knew little to nothing about nuclear power telling trained people who should have known better to run their reactor unshielded as a "test".

Repeatedly.

Then physical imperfections happened and the concrete became lava and then the nuclear material sank through the earth.

Incidentally, isn't the Chernobyl reaction scheduled to hit the center of the earth in about twenty years?
Combat has been...  improved.

Oh God No!

Oh God YES

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2009, 07:19:49 am »

Chernobyl was the result of a large number of factors, both in operator error and reactor design. The IAEA's final view on the matter was considers flawed reactor design the primary cause, with operator error supporting it. A better reactor wouldn't have melted down when the operators tried to scram it, wouldn't have deformed and prevented control rods from being inserted, and certainly wouldn't have blown its roof and sent contaminants into the atmosphere after the meltdown. A better reactor would have melted down like Three Mile Island -- short term panic followed by no measurable long-term health effects on the public, and resumption of operations after repairs. Of course, better operators wouldn't have lost control of the reactor in the first place, and wouldn't have disabled the automatic safety controls that would have inserted the control rods before it was too late, but the disaster we know Chernobyl to be should not have occurred even with their negligence.

Incidentally, isn't the Chernobyl reaction scheduled to hit the center of the earth in about twenty years?

No, the reaction is long dead, and stopped fairly early on. The idea of molten fuels penetrating into the soil below is the reactor building is called China Syndrome, after the tongue-in-cheek concept of the fuels burning a hole through the earth and emerging in China. Nuclear fuel burning through the bottom of the building would be a serious threat if it happened, but it never has; even Chernobyl's nuclear fuel stopped where you can see the terminus of the "lava flows", which were the molten reactor fuel mixed with anything the fuel melted through on its way down, including concrete.

The reason the reaction stopped and the molten fuel and junk cooled is that nuclear chain reactions are actually extremely hard to maintain -- a reactor meltdown is only possible because a reactor is designed to maintain a reaction. The neutrons emitted during fission must have a high probability of fusing with another nucleus in order to destabilize that nucleus, or else the reaction will peter out quickly. This is not naturally the case for insufficiently enriched uranium reactor fuel under most conditions; the neutrons emitted are far too high-energy, and not numerous enough to sustain the reaction given the probability of any given neutron triggering fission in another atom. In order for a sustained nuclear reaction to take place in a reactor, the fuel materials are often kept in the presence of a neutron moderator that will reduce the speed of the emitted neutrons. The neutron moderator is just some kind of medium with a low atomic weight that is kept at a relatively constant temperature. As neutrons bounce off of the nuclei, they impart a lot of their energy, thus slowing the neutron and making it more likely to maintain the reaction. As the temperature of the moderator increases, the neutrons are slowed less, and the reaction slows slightly, though I believe this is generally not enough to stop the reaction. Removing the neutron moderator entirely will kill the reaction, however -- most reactors use water as a moderator in part for this reason, as if the reaction gets too hot, the water will boil into steam and the reaction will stop. Chernobyl used graphite as its neutron moderator.

A meltdown occurs when the reaction gets so hot that the nuclear fuel itself liquifies into a molten state. But graphite has an extremely high melting point -- higher than solid diamond. The graphite did not melt, it just burned. So, when the fuel liquified and flowed out of the reaction chamber in molten form, the graphite was burning and going up into the air, or being exploded out of reactor entirely. By the time the molten fuel was out of the reactor, it was no longer in the presence of the neutron moderator, and the reaction became non-critical. It's also likely that the number of materials around once the fuel left the reactor itself caused a lot of the neutrons to be absorbed by materials that didn't immediately undergo fission, which would also slow the reaction. Put simply, the balance of conditions to sustain a nuclear reaction were no longer met, the fuel became non-critical, and the molten flow eventually cooled.

Had the reaction been sustained, and molten core even gone so far as to reach the water table below the facility, the resultant steam explosion and spread of radioactive materials could have made the Chernobyl disaster even more catastrophic and sprayed the surrounding area with vastly more radioactive material than what actually occurred. Instead, the Soviet authorities pumped liquid nitrogen into the earth, froze the water table, dumped thousands of tons of neutron absorbers and fire extinguishing materials on the crater where the reactor once was, and entombed the site in concrete, where some 95% of the radioactive materials are estimated to remain today. The rest were blasted or burned out into the atmosphere, contaminating the countryside.

If I hadn't decided to learn programming and game design, I would probably be working part-time as a reactor operator about now. Games are pretty cool, but sometimes I miss skipping out on that possibility.  :(

Of course, I wouldn't have ever worked on LCS if that happened.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2009, 01:04:56 pm »

I don't see how this would be much of an issue if it did happen.  The reason the earths core is hot is because billions of tons of iron are decaying from a high isotope to a lower one.  The higher isotope is fairly rare IIRC, and the decay is very slow but there's a whole lotta iron in the earth.  How much is Chernobyl gonna add to that?  A few hundred kilograms of fissile materials?  While I'm not particularly familiar with the subject, my will guesstimate is that the expression "drop in the bucket" would be overstating the impact.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]