Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lowering Wisdom?  (Read 7503 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Lowering Wisdom?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 12:07:35 pm »

One option to throw out there on the issue of Heart and Wisdom in general would be to merge the two stats to a single one, perhaps even just Heart, which represents (Heart - Wisdom). This number would increase with Juice (good), and decrease with "Wisdom damage" (bad). I'm not sure how you'd handle Conservatives under this system, however, as a direct implementation would result in them having negative stats, which is confusing and odd.

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 12:58:17 pm »

It would require having low heart be beneficial for certain skills, but I agree with the concept. It's not that Conservatives are "wise", they're just heartless (as a stereotype, anyhow). Maybe Heart could be in general much higher for Liberals, and just a lot lower for non-Liberals?

Would require quite a few changes to the skill-system, but it feels more right imho.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 01:19:32 pm »

If liberals stop hating wisdom, the LCS just lost one of it's funnies twists, IMHO.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 01:20:57 pm »

Well the Liberal Crime squad would probably want low Wisdom because sane people make bad political terrorists

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 01:25:25 pm »

The current system is fine, I like the permenant damage that occurs when you get in a debate attack.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 01:34:12 pm »

I guess what some people like is what other people dislike... I'm not so fond of stats being permanently affected by a debate attack if you can't change it back through similar techniques. The whole "wisdom" thing just doesn't add up for me. For me there is no correlation between "the right" and wisdom, nor "the left" and wisdom.

I do however agree that wisdom might be an indicator of what your follower can and cannot do for you. Well, will or will not. It's kind of crazy that I can just order any person under my control to do anything; regardless of how maddening it is. I mean. I frequently order people to get naked, bring five molotov cocktails with them, and bomb the police station; and you'd need to be pretty damned naive to think you're getting out of there alive.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 06:08:47 pm »

Maybe the wisdom=bad idea could be reinforced by a wisdom lowering mechanic.  So, wisdom gain becomes more common, but now you have a way to lower it again.  But to lower it you have to do something that's downright stupid.  I'm unsure what that downright stupid thing is.  Any ideas?

Will it blend? That is the question. On today's show, bleeding heart liberal terrorists.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 07:31:26 pm »

Well, it sure ain't wise...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 12:08:20 am »

Another alternative, based on what Neonivek and Rezan were saying, would be to leave Wisdom in, but disassociate it from Conservatism. It's still bad, and mechanically is still very similar, because it's incompatible with being a radical terrorist, but it's not pollution from Conservative thought. Conservatism is merely the lack of Heart. Wisdom is more like the pragmatism that prevents people from turning into radicals.

The CCS thus would be low heart, low wisdom, while your Liberal Judges would have high heart, high wisdom. Wisdom would then be a barrier to recruitment, and possibly some of the more powerful or dangerous actions could have a minimum Heart - Wisdom requirement. It could be called Commitment or something, with some text for what their current Commitment is and how it was calculated. Under this system, it wouldn't quite be "Liberals hate Wisdom", just that your insane ones do.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 12:14:45 am »

I really like that idea!

But, wouldn't you need a third stat for the CCS, and Arch-Conservatives?

Like, "Tradition" or "Greed", depending on what kind of new ironic joke you're going to use to replace the current "Wisdom and Heart" joke.

For more fun, you could just rename "Wisdom" into "Sanity". ;D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 12:37:07 am »

Woo! someone actually liked my idea! I feel happy :D

As a suggestion: High-heart (and possibly wisdom) could help with the more humanitarian actions like community service.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 12:47:42 am by Neonivek »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 01:16:07 am »

I'm personally fond of the current Wisdom-Heart Right-Left system. I'd not be displeased to see a zeal/determination/complacency/self-preservation stat introduced, but if we consider Wisdom to be "common sense" I'd argue that right-wing narratives strongly associate Liberalism with a lack of Wisdom, particularly wasting one's time with Liberal activism. Maybe it's the (rural mid-western) environment I grew up in, but equating Conservatism with Wisdom and Liberalism with a lack thereof sounds like the most natural thing in the world to me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 01:20:51 am »

The problem is that the sense of Parody kinda got lost in the mix... and while the play on Wisdom and heart is interesting... The gameplay entirely betrays it to the point where it only serves to confuse and annoy the player.
-This was most likely cause by the fact that Heart and Wisdom was implimented early... but then gameplay was added over it.

To reimpliment a true Wisdom / Heart aspect of play would require creating a new dimension of the game.

So perhaps that is where we should dirrect our conversation next...

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 02:59:17 pm »

I don't know - I still see it as fine, and neither annoying nor confusing. But then, I've been playing LCS for 4+ years, so my perspective is skewed.

(I'd argue that the basic gameplay involving Heart and Wisdom haven't changed appreciably, BTW.)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 05:22:10 pm »

Assuming we kept the existing Heart/Wisdom system, what changes or improvements could be made to better serve the metaphor/stereotype?
Pages: 1 [2] 3