Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Nursery  (Read 4618 times)

floryalquimia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Nursery
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 06:10:15 pm »

I think dwarves going into battle holding babies ruins the suspension of disbeleif. I can't imagine a dwarf in full plate armor a shield and a sword also hauling a baby around, even if the baby is strapped to the dwarf's back.

I don't agree with the idea that a nursery is alien to dwarven society, and I especially disagree with the idea that Dwarf Fortress is somehow modeled after the 1400s and that dwarves hold the values of the peoples from those times.Please stop talking about the 1400s dwarves have nothing to do wiith that

However I accept that the idea of a nursery might turn some people off and that is fine,  I just think babies should not be carried into battles or into sparring, so here's a more simple solution; Mothers should leave their babies on their own beds or the baby's bed.The mother could return to feed the baby occasionally while off duty. the babies could wander off if there's not a door, and fall off tall structures and into streams, resulting in much comedic effect.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 06:11:21 pm »

I think this is starting to fall within the realm of "Reality is Unrealistic"

There was little people didn't do with a swaddled baby... In fact... some people played sports with the baby. (With the baby as the ball)

"Please stop talking about the 1400s dwarves have nothing to do wiith that"

While I do agree we can use other cultures and time periods prior to 1400s... it is clear that Toady wants us to keep within 1400s technology with few exceptions. (for example no guns despite it actually being an old invention. Though he is giving us the tools to mod them in ourselves easily)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:13:39 pm by Neonivek »

floryalquimia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 06:14:57 pm »

think this is starting to fall within the realm of "Reality is Unrealistic"

women do bundle up their kids like that and they have done so in many cultures.

but is it ever warrior women ? did they go into battles like that?

in full plate ?

also, technology is one thing culture is another.

or do you keep all your female dwarves doing nothing but cooking and cleaning ?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:16:38 pm by floryalquimia »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 06:17:49 pm »

I like how you added "in full plate" which HIGHLY limits the range... since most cultures didn't have access to Platemail or didn't have reasonable access.

Well other then the "Full Plate" part... the answer is yes. (Mind you I didn't say how common it was... it just did happen)

Though it rarely was done for long campaigns as the baby would surely die of dissentary. (Children have often died of neglect during long trips... even today with Cars)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:32:43 pm by Neonivek »

floryalquimia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 06:30:43 pm »

Well other then the "Full Plate" part... the answer is yes.

While I feel tempted to ask for citations for this claim, I'd prefer to just say that if the baby swaddle was implemented I would be satisfied with it.At least then there would be some explanation of how it is possible that female dwarves can just carry their babies during combat, however i would expect the game to reflect that the women are clumsier because they have a dead weight on them , and also,as it already happens (I think) that the baby could die. This would effectively make female dwarves a bad bet as soldiers. That would make me a little sad.

I still would prefer either a nursery or to have the moms simply drop off the baby.surely dwarves realize both of these just make more sense.  and would keep dwarven society as egalitarian as we know that it is now  :)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 06:40:28 pm »

Infants may be a difficult conclusion, but I'd love to see children getting toys and playing with each other; maybe sparring with toy hammers and toy axes, making shoddy crafts to show to their parents with mini-forges (Urist McDad is ecstatic. His son showed him a toy craft he made recently.), etc.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 06:41:16 pm »

Well... If she couldn't take her baby with her... she probably would just abandon it.

This is probably why some women warriors practiced making themselves infertile when I think about it (Though I am sure there are other... more... Men are evil reasons)

however i would expect the game to reflect that the women are clumsier because they have a dead weight on them

Wow... 5-10 pounds is honestly going to make that much difference? (Id say 5-15 but this is a dwarf). Personally I am surprised they don't currently go to war with backpacks on.

as it already happens (I think) that the baby could die

Perfect! plus she could also abandon it for too long and have the baby die (possibly of jumping off a cliff)
-The Father I guess COULD take care of the baby... but he may just abandon the baby anyhow.

If the baby isn't adopted... the baby will simply die or become a horrible little child. such is life in Dwarven society!

Is it so wrong that I am actually suggesting something that is possibly one of the darkest suggestions?

Dwarves who arn't cared for by their parents should have the following
-25% chance of mysterious death
-90% chance of having negative traits
-20% chance of becoming a criminal/psychopath

If they are adopted the chances should lower..
-10% of mysterious death (to represent care but not love)
-50% chance of having negative traits
-10% chance of being a criminal/psychopath

Interesting note: there is a dirrect corelation between bed wetting and being cared for by your mother! There is also a corelation between murderers and bedwetting.

You don't have to take everything I said... I am just bringing this to its logical realistic conclusion.

Note: Mind you some studies suggest that it ISN'T because it isn't the mother and that anyone in theory could take the mother's place. It is that the baby needs consistant care and that switching primary caregivers however responsive or unresponsive they are... is traumatic
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:47:46 pm by Neonivek »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 06:47:05 pm »

1: Is it possible that female dwarfs have pouches?
WANT.

I'd personally just like a way for children to stay somewhere safe so they don't constantly get snatched. That'd be nice.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 06:48:32 pm »

WANT.

I'd personally just like a way for children to stay somewhere safe so they don't constantly get snatched. That'd be nice.

Would be interesting to see Goblin snatcher actually have to kill mothers to steal their swaddled babies.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 12:50:31 am »

Reality?!  THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!!

Fill in the blank here: "She took ___ in a slaughter lately".  I'll give you a hint, it's never "pity" or even "a coffee break".

They walk around covered in the blood and guts of their enemy.  They lop limbs off while sparring.  They continue to fight while they are on fire.

And you think their children are precious fragile little snowflakes?  Armok take you...
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 12:52:29 am »

WANT.

Would be interesting to see Goblin snatcher actually have to kill mothers to steal their swaddled babies.
Ugh, if bearded women were enough...

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 01:22:43 am »

Pouches trump beards?

I would assume pouches would hardly even be noticeable, except ofcourse on pregnant mothers... And it would help explain dwarf mothers carrying their kids into battle--the reason and the mechanics.

Besides, pockets are always handy
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:26:10 am by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 01:16:00 pm »

Daycare makes absolutely no sense for a medieval setting. For one thing, formula didn't exist for another 500 years and without breast milk the kids either perished or grew up weak. Leaving your kid behind to go on a patrol would probably have killed it

On the other hand, women weren't soldiers for reasons beyond being treated as property. Implementing a maternity leave would be fairly dumb considering it's a modern concept, not to mention it'd cripple their use as troops if every popped baby put her out of commission for a year. Combined with the lack of baby limit, it'd make women useless

We'll see how the military controls will work in the future. Perhaps mothers lugging babies should simply ignore patrol routes they might be a part of. Not really something you should be doing while carrying a kid. Stationing troops usually implies a safer location

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 02:09:54 pm »

I don't like this suggestion to be honest..it sounds kinda silly to me. This game is not The Sims you know.  ;)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 02:16:21 pm »

I'm Mr. Horrible:

I think you just shouldn't have chicks in the military.

It's the historically correct option :-D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4