Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Nursery  (Read 4534 times)

Twad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nursery
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2009, 10:26:07 am »

Well, since we're on this topic, one of the new Nobles I suggested in another thread was the Majordomo, and one of the Majordomo's jobs would be to look after any royal kids that came along.

So maybe not a physical, static, designated "nursery", per se, but perhaps there could be a group of dwarfs who's job it was to protect and instruct the younglings.

Maybe that role could be filled by the oldest and most experienced dwarfs in the Fortress?

i would see that as the philosopher's job.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2009, 10:37:02 am »

Not every problem in Dwarf fortress I believe needs a work around.

Some aspects of the play should be to work around what are silly aspects of the social Dwarven environment. We have plenty in real life as well.

Mind you I am refering to reasonable levels...

We need to make Child care make sense but we don't need to remove possible problems with women in important possitions who have children but no one to take care of it.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2009, 01:36:51 pm »

Well, since we're on this topic, one of the new Nobles I suggested in another thread was the Majordomo, and one of the Majordomo's jobs would be to look after any royal kids that came along.

So maybe not a physical, static, designated "nursery", per se, but perhaps there could be a group of dwarfs who's job it was to protect and instruct the younglings.

Maybe that role could be filled by the oldest and most experienced dwarfs in the Fortress?

I remember seeing something about implementing teaching in the future, which I think that this would tie in quite well with. Children (not babies) spend time with the philosopher and experienced craftsdwarves, and then graduate to adulthood with no-adjective skills rather than just as peasants. I could also see something like a check against the craftsdwarvesskill to see if the child gained experience in the field, so being taught by a legendary could let them come out as high as proficient or something. It wouldn't help with the babies, but I actually don't have that much of a problem with babies being carried around by their mothers... Except for on-duty military, I think that when a mother is put on-duty she should give the baby to the father or something like that.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2009, 06:19:04 pm »

I think the city fathers of Athens would disagree...

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2009, 02:55:13 am »

I remember seeing something about implementing teaching in the future, which I think that this would tie in quite well with. Children (not babies) spend time with the philosopher and experienced craftsdwarves, and then graduate to adulthood with no-adjective skills rather than just as peasants. I could also see something like a check against the craftsdwarvesskill to see if the child gained experience in the field, so being taught by a legendary could let them come out as high as proficient or something. It wouldn't help with the babies, but I actually don't have that much of a problem with babies being carried around by their mothers... Except for on-duty military, I think that when a mother is put on-duty she should give the baby to the father or something like that.

I think the main issue here is handling infants, especially in regards to soldier mothers. Children, even as is, are well enough on their own; they do hauling and take down constructions.

That said, rote school-systems are a much more modern institution; if anything, apprenticeships would be more era-appropriate, which would tie in stuff like skill-based teaching effectiveness versus personality traits (disobedient/inattentive kids, antisocial/mean teacher-dwarves).
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2009, 01:59:03 am »

I have one thing to add to this: Setting for: Children cannot go outside.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

archivis

• Bay Watcher
  • I am not here. Remember me not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2009, 01:02:43 pm »

Are we sure new dwarven mothers lactate? I'm pretty sure they just feed the babies beer.  Let's face it, dwarves != humans.  And honestly, I *like* utterly badass warrior dwarfesses who take their babes into battle with them (go marsupial pouches go!), feed them beer from birth, and aren't afraid to let their kids roam more or less unsupervised whenever they manage to escape mom.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2009, 03:34:14 pm »

I think the city fathers of Athens would disagree...

Yeah, but then again the peaceful/enlightened Athens was b****slapped by the warmongering Romans :D. If you're not fighting and not helping enable the fighting, then you need to make yourself useful somehow!
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]