Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should libraries be set up

Single Giant library workroom. Takes a bit of set-up but once done is done.
- 90 (40%)
Specific Library sections. Books are in the library and the menu is managable.
- 111 (49.3%)
Generic library sections with free floating books. Messy, but flexible.
- 19 (8.4%)
Other: Describe (keep in mind the limits of modding)
- 5 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 95

Author Topic: Civilization Forge 3.0  (Read 220614 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Forge 2.80
« Reply #1365 on: July 19, 2014, 07:34:14 pm »

looking back on these armor comments for leather, I realized that maybe... there are some raw options to set for material templates.

I noticed the materials I posted here

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31157.msg4738872#msg4738872

in the 2nd spoiler.

some of the #'s are different inbetween materials.

Even though... they don't have much difference in arena combat.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: August 05, 2014, 12:19:20 pm »

Yeah, the whole leather issue is still on my list of things for this release.

Right now I've been going back and making sure that everything works as intended. Globs getting incremental amounts like bars is handy, since that'll make the Library stuff less clunky. Currently testing my new stuff for that, and when I'm done Studying from books should be much more reliable. Turns out the issue before was that dwarves wouldn't always grab two boxes of candles, but were somehow able to do the job anyway (and fail), so they'd basically just waste time. Other times they'd do things properly, so it took me a while to figure out what was going on. That'll be fixed.

My biggest issue at the moment is that the game is so much slower than it used to be. Back in .34 I'd have starting forts with over 100FPS easy. Now my starting forts have around 40FPS. It eats up a surprising amount of time just trying to test fairly simple things.

Oh, and I did an experiment with Dyansauri and meat plants. Turns out that meat plants do let them survive as carnivores from farming, which is cool. Sadly, they have drastically reduced numbers (2k vs 20k for other races) so it's not really viable right now. I think I'll just take out the Carnivore bit for now. But I have meat plants for Savage and Evil biomes now, so that's kinda fun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: August 05, 2014, 12:22:33 pm »

Of course the dyansauri strike me as having size advantage, thick hides and such, so against most "common rabble" they'd be up against I dunno if numbers would be nearly as much an issue for them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: August 05, 2014, 12:30:35 pm »

Of course the dyansauri strike me as having size advantage, thick hides and such, so against most "common rabble" they'd be up against I dunno if numbers would be nearly as much an issue for them.

True. I may do some more world gens to see how things go. But in the tests I did they ended up just kinda hanging out in a small area and not doing much. Pity I can't tell them to only use a specific set of crops. Hmm...but maybe if I gave them a broader biome selection in addition...that might work.

I'll play with it. I'd really like them to be carnivores.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: August 05, 2014, 02:05:48 pm »

I never looked at their raws, but I'm assuming they're relegated to deserts and badlands and have to compete with the sand raiders and possibly jawas for that territory, so expanding that into any generally typically warm biome (jungles, savannas, deserts, swamps... what with them being a much scarier form of lizard men and all) would help them greatly while still being constrained to warmer climates; this has the side benefit of potentially putting them into conflict with the elves and xelics of both types more frequently, keeping their forces away from your lands.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: August 05, 2014, 02:16:36 pm »

They're actually more competition with humans, having grasslands, savanna, shrublands, and forest as their main biomes. But expanding that out so that they're more global might help. Looking at the raws, they're already more inclusive than I thought.

We'll have to see what testing gets me.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: August 07, 2014, 03:13:34 pm »

Things are moving along nicely. I have a few more tests to run for Alchemy and Libraries, but so far they are working as intended. My Armorer in my current test fort is not only a metal smith, she's a dabbling wordsmith :)

I have also decided what to do with leathers and whatnot. Using the More Leathers method to get somewhat appropriate amounts of leather from animals, combined with several levels of tough/thick hides, I should be able to give us a more reasonable selection. Cow leather will be better than, say, deer leather for armor, while Rhino Leather will be about as good as bronze armor. Creatures like the Ironhide Centipede should also work as intended. I may add in Furs while I'm at it.

I'm also going to do a modest bit of acceleration to make all non-useful animal materials generic (sinews, nerves, blood, stuff like that). There will probably be a few exceptions for special/sentient creatures (Dragon Blood could be useful for Alchemy somehow, for example, and we generally want to know about dwarf/goblin/elf blood), but we don't really care if there is cow blood or pig blood on the ground.

Dyansauri, sadly, do not seem viable as carnivores in your basic medium world. I'm going to test them some more with larger and high savagery worlds, but as-is they become more of a remnant race. I'll probably include the carnivore version + meat plants as an option, since having remnant/savage-lands only dinosaur people is kind of flavorful. But they won't be that way by default.

After that, I think we'll be about ready for a release. Lots to do, but I'm getting there.

Any other major requests from anyone?

Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: August 07, 2014, 03:31:14 pm »

Maybe rename hand axe to hatchet or wood axe? I may just be spoiled by my incessant need to learn things but when I read hand axe I keep thinking of the prehistoric one which was just a lump of rock with a sharp end knapped on the bottom.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: August 07, 2014, 03:44:06 pm »

Sure, that's an easy one :)
Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: August 07, 2014, 03:51:05 pm »

Heh, honestly it's something I normally do myself but I tend to forget sometimes.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: August 07, 2014, 04:44:16 pm »

all this sounds great btw.  I love the fact that your bringing in the simplified creature stuff.  If your curious how 34_11 phoebus accelerated mod did it from 34_11 phoebus, check it out here

https://github.com/thistleknot/BasedOnVanillaRaws/commit/992700e363a472d0988d8732448b67d4b057fbb0

you can do a search for raw/objects/ and sort through the relevant files.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: August 07, 2014, 04:46:59 pm »

Yeah, I've been looking through a bunch of that. Seems pretty straight-forward.
Come play Mafia with us!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: August 07, 2014, 07:02:24 pm »

Are my primitive weapons still included? Do they still work?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: August 07, 2014, 07:04:54 pm »

If you're talking about stuff like the clubs and khopesh, yeah. Pretty sure a couple races field those.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: August 07, 2014, 07:23:02 pm »

Are my primitive weapons still included? Do they still work?

They are in, yeah. Haven't actually tested them in the new version, though. Guess I should do that.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 95