Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should libraries be set up

Single Giant library workroom. Takes a bit of set-up but once done is done.
- 90 (40%)
Specific Library sections. Books are in the library and the menu is managable.
- 111 (49.3%)
Generic library sections with free floating books. Messy, but flexible.
- 19 (8.4%)
Other: Describe (keep in mind the limits of modding)
- 5 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 95

Author Topic: Civilization Forge 3.0  (Read 219631 times)

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Forge 2.x
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 10:32:58 pm »

Dwarfmaids. Not female cleaning dwarfs. Nooooo, I mean Dwarfmaids. As in Urist McDwarf got really drunk one night and mistook a mermaid for his wife.
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 10:35:09 pm »

While that would be really cool, I can't really do anything with underwater or flying races until Toady makes them functional in Fortress Mode. Right now they'd just cancel all their jobs due to 'dangerous terrain'
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 12:51:16 pm »

Based on what Toady has been saying about the new moddable nobility, I'm thinking of adding in Guildmasters. Basically, once you get up to a Barony you'll be able to promote a Dwarf to Guildmaster. This guildmaster will be able to listen to grievances as well as perform the basic function of that guild, and will have some basic room requirements.

Current guild ideas:
Miners
Stoneworkers
Woodworkers
Metalsmiths
Farmers
Fishers/Hunters
Crafters
Weavers

This will do a few things, I think.
  1) It will let you promote your best dwarves to 'noble' status, where they should be immune to mandate punishments.
  2) It gives you more dwarves to listen to problems, which should help with tantrum spirals.
  3) It adds a little bit of overhead in the form of room requirements to offset the benefits. Although if you're like me your best dwarves usually have nice rooms anyway, so I don't think that'll be too much of a burden.

Thoughts?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Angellus

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 02:37:53 pm »

On races:

I would add a demon race.

White: Good demons who trade (very) precious items with you.
Grey: Neutral in nearly every aspect.
Black: See them as the orcs in your mod, they attack soon, and with many once they notice your fort standing, they will know no fear, no danger and will spring as much traps as possible before finally dying. High damblock and gore attacks.
They will not use weapons, they will, however (should toady have implemented it) have a variety of poisons. (Paralyse, illness, near-instant death) The leaders will have poisons that can kill a dwarf with a scratch.

The names are just quickly put up and might need some adaption.

A zerg rush race would also be great :D just wait till you have hundreds of critters running at you and your traps, you'll never get enough traps up beforehand.

Hyrilleans: as stated above, the 'zerg' race. very fast, very weak, but extreme birthrate and numbers. they will attack with 10 times the amount of dwarves!
Some of the stronger ones hold minor poisons to near-permanent paralyse poisons.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 03:09:28 pm »

Is this 'zerg rush' the new internet fad? Dunno what it is, but I oppose the idea of putting any fad in a mod. They are soooo lame...

Anyhow, on the guilds, I suggest adding a engineers guild, an administrators guild and perhaps also an architects guild. The later only when the architect job has some more use to it. I also sugest merging the weavers guild with the crafters guild. Alternatelly, you could make a clothworkers guild and merge the crafters guilds with the stone, wood and metal workers.

On the earlier idea you stated, about all the different races, you might want to narrow those down a bit. Its not possible to get those all to show up in a single world, and even if it was, then the weaker ones would die out very quickly.

Lastelly, you can allready mod in poisenous attacks, so long as they are innate creature attacks (not weapons). Creatures like GCS use it, you can give them stun, paralise or both. See the wiki for more details.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 03:25:44 pm »

Is this 'zerg rush' the new internet fad? Dunno what it is, but I oppose the idea of putting any fad in a mod. They are soooo lame...

Anyhow, on the guilds, I suggest adding a engineers guild, an administrators guild and perhaps also an architects guild. The later only when the architect job has some more use to it. I also sugest merging the weavers guild with the crafters guild. Alternatelly, you could make a clothworkers guild and merge the crafters guilds with the stone, wood and metal workers.

On the earlier idea you stated, about all the different races, you might want to narrow those down a bit. Its not possible to get those all to show up in a single world, and even if it was, then the weaker ones would die out very quickly.

Lastelly, you can allready mod in poisenous attacks, so long as they are innate creature attacks (not weapons). Creatures like GCS use it, you can give them stun, paralise or both. See the wiki for more details.

On the subject of Races, one idea I have for version 2 is to provide lots of options for people, and to make it easy for people to pick which ones they want to include. So I'll have a folder of races, and each race will have their own separate creature and entity files. So I'm perfectly happy to have lots of options, even if any given world will only be genned with a subset of them.

I like the idea of an Engineering guild. I might just merge Architect in with that.
Come play Mafia with us!

Angellus

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 09:39:41 am »

The 'zerg' race is to make your traps wear out, I personally love to put up lots and lots of traps, but they always tend to break a siege, I hope that this will help out on that.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 09:57:46 am »

For reference, it is a term from the game StarCraft refering to the fictional Zerg species.  To quote Wikipedia, "The phrase 'zerging' has entered video gaming jargon to describe using many low-cost and weak units to rush and overwhelm an enemy."

Angellus

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 02:59:14 pm »

In any defence I plan I always look for strong enemy's so I'm always weak against zerg rushes.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 03:03:22 am »

In DF, elves are also considered to be the Zerg equivalents- and my modded Shade leves aren't much better:

Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 04:01:16 pm »

I've decided to go with Hill dwarves for the middle tier dwarves. They're much like the way the players use dwarves in DF, often cruel and warlike to other races.
Come play Mafia with us!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 07:54:20 pm »

Ooh! add a race of Landwhales!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 08:06:25 pm »

Ooh! add a race of Landwhales!
With pet Land Sharks!
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 01:22:54 pm »

To be honest, I'd either change "chaos dwarves" to something else, or add a "chaos x" to every racial group (human, elf, goblinod, etc.) As it is, they really don't fit in with the other "evil" subraces.

Also, if you could make normal dwarves recognize "Hill" and "Chaos" dwarves as dwarves, the same way a goblin kidnapee is still a dwarf, that would be very good. Don't know if it will be possible.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2009, 12:15:03 am »

If ya have jawas as a desert race, what about the Fremen. They're like desert dwarves, but with a warrior bent, they'd all start off with proficient in at least 1 weapon if that's possible. (They can also build wells without water access, as long as it is underground.)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:22:48 am by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 95