Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Civs use which metal?

(1/2) > >>

Shoruke:
So, I've been wondering, what determines the type of metal a civ will use? Why do the dwarves show up at my depot carrying steel, but the humans bring iron? Why do most goblins siege me wearing iron but the leaders wear decorated steel?

I'm trying to make an 'orc steel' that orcs will use but nobody else will.

LegoLord:
The dwarven civ has the [METALPREF] tag, which makes them use the best metal with a damage value higher than iron.  Elves have some wood related tag that makes them not use metal.

Untelligent:
Civilizations with [METAL_PREF] will use the "best" non-deep weapon-quality metal for their weapons and armor. In vanilla DF, steel. Dwarves have this.

Civs without that  (humans and goblins) tag will use the second-best (I think), which is generally iron (except for elves, which are hippycrites and make them out of wood due to a tag I can't recall).

Civs with [MINOR_METAL] use the weakest weapon-quality metal. In vanilla DF, kobolds use copper.

Random guess, maybe military leaders always use the best metal?

All weapons, armor, and ammo bought at embark or from whatever civ's caravan will be that specified metal, although ranged weapons can be bought of any material (seeing as it's the bolts that are doing the damage). Obviously, you can make your own stuff out of whatever the hell you want to (within reason).

commondragon:
Forcing civs to use specific materials is not possible (yet), unless you rewrite the civs so that only your orcs will use better metals like dwarfs (and leave our fun dwarfs with only silly iron).

Vucar Fikodastesh:

--- Quote from: Untelligent on February 18, 2009, 06:45:39 pm ---All weapons, armor, and ammo bought at embark or from whatever civ's caravan will be that specified metal, although ranged weapons can be bought of any material (seeing as it's the bolts that are doing the damage).

--- End quote ---
Digging implements can also be made out of other metals.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version