Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 769928 times)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:45:40 am »

Trading thread behind this link

As we have a thread that is organizing a TF2 event, the scout update coming up, have a thread about Gang Garrison and I've got terrible urge to talk about the game, I think we really need a thread about the game "Team Fortress 2" itself.

For those few that don't know what it is, Team Fortress 2 is Valve's (not originally) revolutionary (not originally), cartoony, humorous, class-based multiplayer first person shooter. And if you haven't tried it, I dare say that it'll be more fun than you have ever had in a FPS. Just check out these videos by the makers and you will be convinced.

Personally TF2 is the only FPS I have ever liked to play, there's just something so fun and different about it. The classes with their accents and personalities, taunts, shouts, weapons, carts, sandviches, pretty much everything really. Or it might just be the achievements messing up my brain in a non-healthy way. Oh, well, at least I'm having fun.

So, on to the discussion:
What!... do you think of the scout update?
Why!... do I lose my stats frequently?
What!... in the world happened to my guest pass?
How!... much fun you've had igniting snipers with the flare gun?

and most importantly...

What!... ever you can think of?!

The old blurp for the Server that is now sadly gone:

Official Dwarf Fortress Server info:
IP is 217.163.25.175:27015 (add it through your favorites tab)

To help pay for it > www.gameservers.com/clanpay/?clanid=87e2b262511f49a7c04876421d5a05da
Check out our web site aswell > http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/217.163.25.175:27015/
And our clan > http://www.gametracker.com/clan/dwarffortress/

Also, our steam group > http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dwarfortress
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:09:32 pm by LASD »

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: "Who's the tough guy now? Huh, tough guy?"
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 04:57:21 am »

Oktoberfest!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:49:53 am »

I've tried TF2, but I didn't really like it. I spent a lot of the game firing at teammates and accidentally yelling "Medic!"

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:55:45 am »

cartoony

This is my biggest problem with the game. I just don't like this gfx style sadly.  :-\

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 08:01:13 am »

Good lord Gang Garrison was fun. now if there are as many idiots on the actual game as they are on the knockoff, it should not be too difficult to get accustomed to the style. Now to have my brother download it into the good computer and set steam to offline on i-

Oh, wait a minute...

Crap.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 09:22:33 am »

Team Fortress 2 is Valve's revolutionary...

Let me just stop you right there.  Team Fortress was originally a Quake mod cooked up by some amateur data crackers.  After a couple abortive attempts to reupdate it in other engines, somebody finally remade it for Half-Life, which Valve then happily paid them to appropriate like they did with CounterStrike.  Valve has certainly done some great things with their inhouse remake of the concept, but that 2 in the title does mean something, and isn't even accurate.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 12:23:51 pm »

But don't you see? PAYING people for mods? That's the revolution right there!
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 12:48:52 pm »

Yeah, the OG TF2 may have been a quake mod. But it got made into a BETTER HL mod. Then Valve came along, hired the coders for the original one, and made it into a revolution. And I for one agree with this.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 12:49:32 pm »

Whiny 8 year olds.

Still fun though when you have a helpful, fun team.

EDIT:   The scout has always been my favorite class too!   ;D

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 12:52:19 pm »

EDIT:   The scout has always been my favorite class too!   ;D
BONK!!! BONK! BONKBONKBNOK! BOOOOOOOOOOONK! BONK BONK BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINK! BONK!

Scout, pyro, spy, soldier, engie... all the way baby.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 01:00:49 pm »

TF as it is today has some sound and solid design decisions. It's a very decent game.

I even have it, I rarely ever play it, I'm not a big fan of shooters. But I do agree with most of the design choices.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 01:53:24 pm »

I didn't think I was qualified to make a thread about this game, so thank you Aqizzar for setting a thing straight. I've edited the OP accordingly.

Now, about the game:
I've had insane amounts of fun with the "Attention Getter" achievement in the last few days.

Having it on the Head-up display causes the game to play a cheery "Ding"-sound every time I ignite someone with the flare gun, which amuses me to no end. Few times I've even absurdly burst out laughing when "dinging" snipers. Though that must because I have the holiday before final exams, so days are quite stale otherwise.

I'll only need 10 more hits now, which is quite sad.

Also, this feature will become rather hilarious when combined with the new scout achievements. Block a capture, "Ding!", Do a double jump, "Ding!", run ten meters, "Ding", kill someone, "Ding"

Reminds me of an awesome game...

P.S. Duke, TF2 is 20 bucks (or less, if you find a good deal like Orange Box for 20 €, which I did) and will get a lot of free content for a good while still. There should be a free weekend shortly after next Tuesday's scout update, so you can try the game and buy it if you like it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 02:06:00 pm by LASD »

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 06:10:17 pm »

While all you PC players are having fun with your mods, free content, fast servers, large player base, anti-cheating methods, and regular updates, we players of TF2 on the Xbox 360 are kicking it up old school, baby. That's right - we're version 1.0 and with a whopping three updates in the past year, none of which added any content or fixed any major bugs.

You PC kids have it easy these days.

Anyway, for any fellow Bay12ers that want to have some fun and shoot some dudes, add me and we'll find a time to play. The gamertag is Aaronicon.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 06:14:34 pm »

LASD, thats a great achievement to get. I did have alot of fun playing it. There are a few good pyro achievements out there. Like the dance dance immolation, and the got a light. All pointless, but sooo much fun to get.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 09:10:33 pm »

Pyro's shotgun taunt has always been hilarious to me.  So is the Heavy's "POW!  Haha!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 774