Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 770795 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Mecha Update! "All hail the maker!"
« Reply #9750 on: December 30, 2012, 01:38:38 pm »

Well, looking at the changelog, the base flamethrower damage (and hence all the other flamethrowers) got raised 10%. The degreaser also got another -10%, keeping it the same as pre-pyromania, so now with the listed bonus off the backburner the only change is to the stock flamethrower (which it kind of needed, but this was a stupid way of doing it). So really, the degreaser/backburner are the same as they were, with the stock now having the same damage as the backburner. Then there's the damn Phlog, which is arguably  even more M1tastic than the backburner was.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9751 on: December 30, 2012, 01:40:20 pm »

Does Phlog have -10% or is it normal?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9752 on: December 30, 2012, 01:44:35 pm »

The phlog also got -10% (and +10%), so it's the same as the degreaser, except for the extra reduced afterburn on the degreaser. But really, with the phlog, there's literally nothing to do but M1 spam, so it's the least difficult flamethrower of the bunch.

dehimos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9753 on: December 30, 2012, 01:49:40 pm »

The loose cannon is "bad". It's a weapon with utility but this weapon need more damage or knockback.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9754 on: December 30, 2012, 01:49:49 pm »

You may want to check out the pyro vid I linked, that guy had no airblast, so there is more to do than W+M1-ing. Most people don't tough, and the degreaser is superior to it imo.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9755 on: December 30, 2012, 02:10:49 pm »

That's a good video, but so much has changed that the hit and run strategy isn't typically as good as running straight into them. The biggest issues are that other pyros can easily extinguish allies, snipers have jarate, scoots have milk or bonk, hoovies have the sandvich, medics are more prevalent than early versions, spies have the dead ringer or spycicle... etc. Those other players in the examples were kind of derp as well, but the same can be said of most servers now I suppose. :P

Still, an excellent video, for its age. Makes me want to try stock flamethrower again.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9756 on: December 30, 2012, 09:19:50 pm »

The loose cannon is "bad". It's a weapon with utility but this weapon need more damage or knockback.
IDK, the knockback seems pretty solid to me. And I'm a sucker for any weapon with knockback (it can really confuse the targets), so I'm in love with the loose cannon. Airbursting is also pretty sweet, people always just run away from normal pills that don't score a direct hit :(
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9757 on: December 30, 2012, 10:53:49 pm »

Maybe I just shouldn't play payload race on Hightower anymore.

KotH, CTF, and Payload Race are just generally more likely to be deathmatch spawncamping meatgrinders. People seem to get distracted from the objective quite easily. Payload and CP maps generally get slightly more team-and-objective-oriented combat, which is better if you're getting beat in one on one fights all the time. And as a general word of advice, the golden rule : avoid or straight up retreat from any situation where you're at a disadvantage (low health, low ground, outnumbered, etc) unless there's a really good reason to stick around and fight.

I have only one named weapon: My strange flamethrower. I called it "Prometheus's Gift"

I named my Hales Own Dead Ringer the "Skillringer". If I get another nametag I'm calling my Strange Sapper "Electric Kool-Aide Acid Test".

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #9758 on: December 31, 2012, 07:38:20 pm »

There's actually a Hightower server I go to that's dedicated TDM. The carts are gone and there are two unreachable cap points.

Anyway, I managed to get a Strange Festive Holy Mackerel! This Holiday season was a success! While I didn't uncrate it, I got it due to uncrateing. Essentially my Holiday season in TF2 went like this.

Start off with a bit of metal. -> Obtain Naughty Crate. -> Start selling excess crates and desperately scraping everything I am willing to scrap. -> Buy Naughty Key for 4.11 Refined. -> Uncrate S. Festive Axetinguisher. -> Trade S. F. Axetinguisher for S. F. Mackerel.

Sweet success.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9759 on: January 04, 2013, 02:20:22 pm »

It deeply, deeply, thoroughly, and deeply frustrates me that I just enjoy watching TF2 players like STAR on youtube and he's just messing around and having fun. When I get on, however, I seem to only feel unending frustration and failure.

That, and I'm SUPER FUCKING SOUR about this entirely trivial mistake: where I reset my stats because I was sick and tired of seeing my top score being when I was just ploinking afk'ers off of conveyer belts in trade servers... and it reset my progress on the Chief of Staff achievement (to get 1,000,000 total heal points) when I had 600,000 already... And the progress in my MVM achievements to get a mil credits and a mil bot kills. I didn't realize it would do that. Super. fucking. sour.

What I was trying to do was get the third medic milestone achievement to get the ubersaw. I had specifically prohibited myself from trading for it, however easy it would be, just so I could have the satisfaction of earning it. This has boiled down to me being neurotically paranoid of snipers and spies, killing me every time I let my guard down, and alot of times when my guard is up. Tussling with them just got me facestabbed, and my aim is just so horrifically terrible with any weapon that requires aiming at all. I think it's time for me to put the game down for a bit again, until I cool off.

I mean, I could blame it on my tiny 10$ mouse and complete lack of mouse pad, but why bother. Is it bad that I'm afraid to socialize with the voicechat function, just because I feel like a D-bag when I'm broadcasting my voice over the internet? Cause not having any social aspect makes it extremely easy to get brainmeltingly angry.

The only good thing is that I've discovered a site called Scrap.tf where I can trade for pretty much any weapon on the market very easily, but even better, at a 1:1 ratio of 1 scrap to 2 weapons. This has allowed me to round out my collection of weapons I like without fear of making bad purchases, cause I can convert them right back into scrap if I want to at no loss. I think I'll just trade for that Ubersaw afterall, cause this is just too damn frustrating otherwise and I just want it now.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9760 on: January 04, 2013, 02:48:42 pm »

I really wouldn't worry about achievements. Given enough time, weapons will drop and it won't matter anymore... if anything, I feel that the 27 achievement weapons just end up being an inventory clog later down the line. Though I guess you can always scrap them and make a HHHH or something. Still, if you want medic achievements, chief of staff probably isn't a good bet. It'll happen eventually, but you'll probably be able to get others before then. That said, the medic doesn't have many that aren't very situational, so whatever's left will likely just happen from normal playing.

Incidentally, if anyone's still into hat trading here... I've got a clean Backwards Ballcap and Fancy Fedora I'd like to trade for any clean sniper/heavy hats. Still looking to trade the Armored Authority for an Exquisite Rack, as well. Metal trades would be fine as well here. Also looking for a strange scattergun and strange sniper rifle.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9761 on: January 04, 2013, 02:52:09 pm »

Loose Cannon is so much awesome. I fired it into a group of enemies capping a point, it bounced between them for like 4 hits and 2/3 of the group was sent flying. It looked just like pinball.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9762 on: January 05, 2013, 01:32:36 am »

I just got premium--I think I bought a cozy camper on sale or something.
Now I can trade! And have hextuple inventory space! YAY!

No more throwing out of my meager promotional hat stash to hold weapons!

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #9763 on: January 06, 2013, 08:28:01 am »

Ouch, you should have bought something actually useful.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9764 on: January 06, 2013, 09:14:59 am »

OH MAN THAT HURTS MY MONEY SENSE!

Checking the wiki, the value of a Cozy Camper IN THE STORE is 9.99. I don't know what the sale reduced the item's price to. This is a complete ripoff.

Here's what you could've done: Bought a single key for 2.50, I don't know if there was a sale on them or not I never check. This would have endowed premium status to you.

Gone to http://scrap.tf/ and sold the key there for 3.22 refined metal.

Then take that metal, and turn right around and buy a cozy camper and any other item for 1 scrap at Scrap.tf, which is 1/9 of a single refined metal. The value of a Cozy Camper, you see, is 1/2 of a scrap. It's not worthless, but pretty damn close.

So you could've gotten one very easily, and had 3.11 refined and an extra item leftover to buy hats or any other items you might fancy.

Just remember, UNIQUE quality weapons, that is, normal weapons that have no special prefixes or qualities, are usually this price because they are dropped and can be crafted for. They're nigh-worthless because the market is flooded with them, and the law of supply and demand fixes them at this price because the very least you can use them for is making scrap metal, which has inherent value in crafting.

Just remember http://scrap.tf/ is good for just normal hum-drum items, and if have an item (like a hat or a strange or something) that you're ABSOLUTELY NOT SURE what the trading value of it is, and someone's trying to get it off you, check http://backpack.tf/ cause the market is both very fickle, and full of people not afraid to take advantage of people that don't know what they're doing. Through remember one thing: Backpack.tf is a price guide, not a price law. It's ok to haggle a bit and so long as it doesn't deviate very far from what the site says is sane, you should be good. As is in all things, using your intuition is key.

It just hurts me to see people spending money, good money in such a grossly inefficient way.

In other news, while I spend so much time learning about trading and the TF2 economy, there's actually very little that I want. Except for one thing: I gathered up my resources, sold my Snapped Pupil for 1.33 ref, and I went to http://www.tf2outpost.com/ to find a seller for this one item I want. After a bit of haggling I got a Cosa Nostra Cap for 1.77 ref!

Goddamn is this just snazziest hat in existence or what? The spy was BORN to wear this hat. While I may fail epically at TF2 on occasion, I will always like damn good while doing it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:25:48 am by JoshuaFH »
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 774