Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 761544 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Mecha Update! "All hail the maker!"
« Reply #9780 on: January 07, 2013, 12:10:51 pm »

How much ref is the festive axetinguisher?

Oh, and I'm selling the Jingle Belt, if anybody wants it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: January 07, 2013, 12:25:18 pm »

I've actually been deleting my refined to make room in my tiny F2P backpack. Is there a way for someone else to buy premium for me (ie the cheapest item in the store)? I can't do it, because I don't have a credit card. I could probably scrounge up 2-3 refined for it.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: January 07, 2013, 12:30:50 pm »

I've actually been deleting my refined to make room in my tiny F2P backpack. Is there a way for someone else to buy premium for me (ie the cheapest item in the store)? I can't do it, because I don't have a credit card. I could probably scrounge up 2-3 refined for it.

I'm honestly not sure if it's possible to buy premium for someone else. I'm trying to think of how to go about doing that.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9783 on: January 07, 2013, 12:32:43 pm »

Is there a way to give somebody money in their steam wallet?
Else you *may* be able to buy the orange box and give the TF2 in there to somebody.

Oh, and ref is worthless if it isn't tradeable, unless you make hats with it. But those will be non-tradeable too.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: January 07, 2013, 12:40:48 pm »

Can't craft hats as F2P :(

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: January 07, 2013, 01:13:30 pm »

There's an item to upgrade a friend to premium, but it goes for something like 2-3 keys... which is pretty expensive. At the current rate, that's around 10 ref. I definitely wouldn't trash metal, though. You're better off condensing unused weapons into metal and getting rid of crates, achievement hats, achievement weapons, and all those annoying badges before just chucking out valuable metal for weapons worth 1/18 as much. Wearing nothing is hardly worse than wearing a gibus and mercenary badge, and that metal can get you lovely lovely hats in the future.

If you do end up putting money on the steam account, you really shouldn't buy any weapons or hats. The minimum is a $5 deposit, enough to evenly buy 2 keys to trade, which'll be enough for many much more valuable hats than store bought. Using keys is the vast majority of the time a complete waste. Run of the mill dirty hats (uncraftable) from the store are worth a reclaimed, while a key is currently more than 3 ref. So if you don't mind wearing dirty items, that's more than enough to get a hat and misc for each class, or several of the cheaper clean hats, which usually run for 1.33-1.66.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: January 07, 2013, 01:58:32 pm »

I've already scrapped all crates, hats etc. It's just that 50 slots isn't all that much when you like a lot of different weapons.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: January 07, 2013, 02:45:21 pm »

Hi everyone. I've recently gotten into TF2, more specifically as soon as I learned there was F2P. Recently is defined as late november-ish, I guess. So I worked up the nerve needed to post on a established thread, and here I am.

I've already scrapped all crates, hats etc. It's just that 50 slots isn't all that much when you like a lot of different weapons.
All my sympathies. I've gotten rid of every crate, hat and duplicate I have. I've started skimming what seem to be the worse weapons (The situational Third Degree, ettc.) but I'm essentially out of space entirely.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: January 07, 2013, 03:14:16 pm »

HOW TO GET SOMEONE ELSE TO BUY YOU A PREMIUM ACCOUNT:
F2P's can receive items from trades, just not send them out. Have a friend send you a useable item, like a Strange Part or Paint.
Put useable item on the Steam Marketplace Beta for $1 or $2 - slightly higher than the lowest listing so that someone else doesn't buy it.
In the Marketplace you can choose which seller to buy from. Have your friend buy back his item.
Use the money transferred to your wallet to buy an item from the mann-co store.
You are now Premium. Give your friend whatever you agreed upon for his $2.

Alternatively, have your friend just give you the item, post it on the marketplace for less than the lowest listed price, and then pay back your friend after you get Premium. That way, it doesn't even cost your friend real money, just his item. It looks like the Market is saturated with sellers based on the # of each item up there, so this is riskier as it might take a long time to sell.

If you do end up putting money on the steam account, you really shouldn't buy any weapons or hats. The minimum is a $5 deposit, enough to evenly buy 2 keys to trade, which'll be enough for many much more valuable hats than store bought. Using keys is the vast majority of the time a complete waste. Run of the mill dirty hats (uncraftable) from the store are worth a reclaimed, while a key is currently more than 3 ref. So if you don't mind wearing dirty items, that's more than enough to get a hat and misc for each class, or several of the cheaper clean hats, which usually run for 1.33-1.66.

Of course, as I've stated in this thread before, you can buy a stickyjumper for fifty cents, and then spend the remainder of you steam wallet fund on some indie game when it's on sale for < $4.50. You don't have to spend the whole $5 on TF2, if you don't want to.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:20:17 pm by kinseti »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9789 on: January 07, 2013, 03:20:47 pm »

Yeah, if you are limited to the 50 slots as a free player you really can't afford to keep much more than one weapon set per class. It currently takes just under 150 slots to store one of each weapon excluding the stock weapons, although to be fair around 20 of them are simply reskins of another weapon. I've ended up needing to pick up two backpack expanders due to having insufficient space to store and categorise all of my stuff so far in the 300 slots you get as a "premium" player.

Can free to plays put items up on the steam market? I know it's limited to tool items at the moment but paint, tags and duel games do drop so should be available for a free to play to potentially put up.

prepost edit: or indeed you can get someone to give you an item to be posted as kinseti says.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9790 on: January 08, 2013, 02:04:59 am »

I've got $5 in my Steam Wallet, I might be able to help you out.

Edit: If you like, I've got some spare crates listed that haven't been bought. I'll trade you one, then you list it for a key's price and I'll buy it back from you.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:16:26 am by dragonshardz »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: January 08, 2013, 08:49:52 am »

It doesn't appear you can sell things on the marketplace if you've never bought anything on Steam, which I haven't (if I could, I would've simply bought a TF2 item).

The only real option I see right now is giving someone my login info so they can log into my account and buy something. I don't have any games on it anyway, so the worst that can happen is my TF2 backpack getting cleaned out. I'm sure I can trust an established B12 forumer not to do that, though. So yeah, if there's any takers, I'm still offering that refined and some weapons and slot/class tokens (are these worth anything?), whatever you feel is a fair value. My backpack

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: January 08, 2013, 11:36:27 am »

Can free to plays put items up on the steam market? I know it's limited to tool items at the moment but paint, tags and duel games do drop so should be available for a free to play to potentially put up.
The point of the FTP trading restriction is to prevent the creation of item farming accounts. Would be illogical to allow the to sell things for money when they aren't even allowed to sell things for hats.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: January 08, 2013, 12:45:58 pm »

Yeah, but mayby they can do it with items they were given. One of my friends traded his way from a spare scottish resistance I gave him to hats.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: January 08, 2013, 11:29:11 pm »

I've personally made a profit of seventy cents selling paint and event crates on the Marketplace. The paint sold fairly quickly, and the Naughty crates sold well enough.About 20 cents per paint is what I got.
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 774