Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 777732 times)

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

I'd apologize for talking 2fort, but there was a day when I too was that guy playing 2fort 24/7 servers and yet getting really frustrated with it, and it took some good forum chat to convince me to move on and learn some other maps.  There's a lot of new players that need to hear it, and the more that hear it means a few more slots filled on the good, non-stock maps.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile

2fort is great at doing what it does, which is DM.  If either team puts any sort of effort into defense it drifts into stalemate quickly, so there is no real teamwork or the like.  Its a bit of fun, but for serious team fortress fun, you want a map where you have to throw some sort of plan together and then pull it off for things to happen.

If you check the official stats for goldrush, generally it works out 45% blu win, 55% red, which isnt really that bad.  But yeah, valve <3 red, spys and demos.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I rather like PL_Gold Rush and don't find it to be imbalanced. Blue almost always gets to the first point, as the first part is fairly open and the defenders have a longer run back to the battle at this point than blue (dealing with any engineer nests in the house isn't too difficult). The second point is where the match gets interesting. If blue tries to go through the entrance the cart comes out, blue will get rocked. The key to the match is controlling the two upper sections.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

The second point is the reason gold rush is imbalanced. It takes one hell of a push to get past that tight corner that anyone can spam all day.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

I dunno, two attics provide a good way to break through if red is spread out enough. Although a die-hard team would probably wrangle some sentries on the roof of their spawn while demomen spam into windows all day long. I'll allow it because a quick and clever blue engie can sneak a teleporter into the tunnel behind their spawn and completely ruin Red before they realize what is going on.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

I'll allow it because a quick and clever blue engie can sneak a teleporter into the tunnel behind their spawn and completely ruin Red before they realize what is going on.
This. Exactly this.
I remember spawning, seeing a teleporter and walking into it, and BOOM! My team had set up shop in the tunnel.  Two engineers had sentries, dispeners, and two telepoter systems running.  We all grouped together and bumrushed red.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

2fort is one of the few bad stock maps. Well isn't that good either.

I actually like Well a lot more than 2fort. I tend to favor maps with big open area's over ones with lots of chokepoints, though. Well isn't all that great, but 2fort is nearly unplayable.

Goldrush is almost as bad, mostly because of how skewed towards red it is.

I find Upward much worse than Goldrush when it comes to unbalanced defense. Mostly just that last point though. That point is not fun to attack.

Also Swiftwater is clearly the greatest Payload map.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PL_Hoodoo is probably my least favorite payload map. Everything's so cramped it leaves no room to maneuver and it invites massive amounts of unavoidable pipe spam.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Come to think of it, I've played more games of TC_Hydro (one) than CTF_well or any variants.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

I got my 360 gamepad set up for tf2, and started using it.  I was very disappointing; I don't know if it's the quality of my gamepad or unfamiliar feel of it in tf, but it sucked.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got my 360 gamepad set up for tf2, and started using it.  I was very disappointing; I don't know if it's the quality of my gamepad or unfamiliar feel of it in tf, but it sucked.

People playing with controllers tend to have a hard time playing against folks playing with mouse and keyboard in first person shooters.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile

PL_Hoodoo is probably my least favorite payload map. Everything's so cramped it leaves no room to maneuver and it invites massive amounts of unavoidable pipe spam.

I found HooDoo very hard to understand its geometry. I also find the tracks course, to just be confounding. Its not as bad cp_steel (I think its steel). Whenever I play red, I almost always get stuck in the base. -_-;

----
The first Choke Point on Gold Rush is great. It is heavily in favor of Defenders, but its meant to bleed off time from blue. If Red's going to win, its because they've manage to hold off on the first choke point for so long. Then they have to wait for the second Choke Point to make a proper stand again. Down the ramp, toward the end goal, there lacks a murder zone for red team, and the defender is at a sudden disadvantage because they have no natural focus for defense.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

People playing with controllers tend to have a hard time playing against folks playing with mouse and keyboard in first person shooters.

This.  My brother insists that shooters are easier to play with a controller.  I find a mouse and keyboard to be 1000x better.  Response time and precision are impossible to match, at least for me.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Hoodoo is undoubtedly the worst map that comes with the game, and RED nearly always wins on it (seriously, I think it's ~85%), but it's community made.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

This.  My brother insists that shooters are easier to play with a controller.  I find a mouse and keyboard to be 1000x better.  Response time and precision are impossible to match, at least for me.
I expected the gamepad to be easier to use since I'm used to playing 360 shooters, but mouse and keyboard are much better.  Especially with snipers.  I can't hit shit with a gamepad.
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 774