Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GAMEPLAY - General Ability Skills.  (Read 835 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
GAMEPLAY - General Ability Skills.
« on: February 22, 2009, 08:28:50 pm »

I know people have talked about this before, but I was unable to find a cohesive post on this in the suggestion forum.(Updating the current search feature is a suggestion in its own).

Suggestion:
#1 Create general skill classes that would modify all the sub skills.
#2 Place all the current skills under the general skill classes.
 *With the possible exceptions of things like mining. Maybe it could become the general skill, and have sub skills such as quarrying, gem extraction, ore extraction, and whatever else under that.  If we didn't want mining to become an orphan skill.

Example:

Create A Black smith Profession general skill level.

Have the Black smith skill modify Armor smithing, Furnace Operating, Metal Crafting, Metal Furniture Making, and Weapon Crafting.

So if Someone was a legendary Black Smith, but had never made A Suit of armor before, they would have much more ability to do so than the peasant who has never touched a forge before.

This could also be implemented for military skills.
   If someone had a legendary General Military skill, and they had no skill with an ax,  It could modify their ax wielding skill up to represent that even though they had never used it before they still understand the principles and basics of warfare and would do far better then (once again) the untrained peasant.

If someone wanted to suggest some decent general names I think it would add some realism and perhaps even some fun to the game.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
Re: GAMEPLAY - General Ability Skills.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 08:49:00 pm »

Req32, SKILL SYNERGY, (Future): Have some skills give bonuses to other skills

I kind of like this way better, as it doesn't add a bunch of new skills and whatnot to learn about and track, but accomplishes the same general effect as the suggestion above.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:53:14 pm »

Req32, SKILL SYNERGY, (Future): Have some skills give bonuses to other skills

I kind of like this way better, as it doesn't add a bunch of new skills and whatnot to learn about and track, but accomplishes the same general effect as the suggestion above.
Yeah, instead we have to memorize every individual skill every other skill modifies creating a massive web of dependencies.

Not saying that is not a good way to deal with skills.. but I do not share your view that it will be easier to learn and track.  It would be more versatile though.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 12:04:04 am »

The synergy seems like a better way to get to it; if all metalworking skills complement each other, it achieves the same net effect.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:53:45 am »

Hopefully it's a bit more complex than making all skills in a given profession provide bonuses to each other. Cutting and setting gems are two entirely different processes for example. Furnace operating seemingly refers to smelting things and that teaches you little about pounding the metal into the desired shape

Memorizing the synergy web really wouldn't be that difficult

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 10:07:55 am »

wouldn't the stat bonuses to similar skills be enough to cover this?

Edit: Rather, when mining raises strength, the things that mining knowledge helps will be helped by the strength boost. 

Isn't that what attributes vs skills are for?

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 01:59:58 pm »

Hopefully it's a bit more complex than making all skills in a given profession provide bonuses to each other.

That is what we should do, it's logical enough and their are no complex exceptions to memorize.  In your example of Gem cutter and Setter I would in fact expect both to become familiar with the proper identification, handling and structure of gems which would be of use in both professions. So long as the overly-large Farmer profession is sub-divided a bit more it would be fine.

But an even simplest thing to do is just have all XP point 'leak' from the skill being performed to the synergistic skills of the same profession at a small rate so for every 3-5 levels in one skill the leaked too skills would go up a level.  Now you can just see the effects of synergy directly without any guessing or checking other skill levels at all!
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 02:54:37 pm »

I like the idea of composite skills best, because it allows us to thoroughly customize skills as well. They would still be referenced with a chosen name. That means anyone can define any skills that suit their playstyle, without sacrificing clarity and simplicity.

eg. armorer could be: any metal - any armor - forge
blacksmith: any metal - any furniture - forge
metalcrafter: any metal - any craft, studding, chain, coins - hammer
mason: any rock - any furniture - hammer&chisel
engraver: any rock - engravings - hammer&chisel

Instead of gaining experience in those skills, the partial skills would gain XP. That would mean that mason and engraver would share 2/3 of their skill, blacksmith and armorer as well, but metalcrafter and blacksmith would only share 1/3 because metalcrafters would use cold hammering, not forging. Mason and blacksmith would share 1/3 because they both know about furniture, etc. etc.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.