Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 106

Author Topic: Life and Times of Strife26  (Read 142519 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life and Times of Strife26
« Reply #1260 on: May 25, 2011, 12:34:37 pm »

Still doing fine here. I've thought up lots of things to post, but forgot most of them. I'm pretty sure that a few would be too much like the other militaristic type blog here. But I'll share one anyway.

This base is semi-famous for having a crap ton of gym tents. Yesterday we got to move the contents of one gym tent (a weightlifting tent, as well as a bunch of cardio equipment) to another tent. We then moved the contents of that tent (ALL weightlifting equipment) to a third tent, which we then emptied of it's assorted overflow stuff back to the original tent. Lots of fun, especially when it came right after a hard ab and leg workout.

Strife: "How many bloody 110 pound dumbells do we need on this bloody base?!"

Had a crap ton of trouble sleeping last night, but I'm feeling okay now. PT test in the morning, and it's really important that I pass, I think that I'll do okay. Sleepy time nao.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: May 25, 2011, 03:18:52 pm »

Still doing fine here. I've thought up lots of things to post, but forgot most of them. I'm pretty sure that a few would be too much like the other militaristic type blog here. But I'll share one anyway.

Might I suggest a pad and pen?  Although that could easily be considered a security risk I bet.

This base is semi-famous for having a crap ton of gym tents. Yesterday we got to move the contents of one gym tent (a weightlifting tent, as well as a bunch of cardio equipment) to another tent. We then moved the contents of that tent (ALL weightlifting equipment) to a third tent, which we then emptied of it's assorted overflow stuff back to the original tent. Lots of fun, especially when it came right after a hard ab and leg workout.

Speaking as a guy in shipping, I frequently find myself lugging around boxed exercise equipment, or even actual dumbbells.  I don't know why it pisses me off as much as it does, but it strikes me as criminally inane to lug around heavy shit that exists for literally no purpose except to be heavy shit.  To then have to play logistical musical chairs with the stuff is just cruel.  Because it sounds like all the plan accomplished was rotating stuff between the same three tents.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: May 27, 2011, 08:57:00 am »

Passed my PT test, which is good. Not completely sure about the time, but it was a pass.

Been borrowing some movies from my fellow soldiers to watch. I really enjoyed Legion, despite the bad reviews. Something about God is evil, but fightable with good ol firepower, plus angels could be on our side kind of sits well with me.

I'm also watching Fellowship of the Rings again. Really want to start a new fortress now, and make it as classic dwarfy as possible, but I might try to wait for the new version.

Yeah, the only difference amongst the tents was that two had wooden floors and one had plastic. Then we had to unload a bunch of food and water (three pallets of ice bags) that night. It was a fun day, all things considered.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: May 29, 2011, 10:24:05 pm »

Been doing lots of thinking about writing lately. And, surprisingly enough, some actual writing. Even though I wrote one real chapter, and one pseudo background chapter, people still leave reviews on a 28 weeks later fanfiction I started, over a year later. I'm going to pick up the project again, but it's kinda difficult to plot.

I think that my core problem here is that I'm trying to genre jump to Techno-Thriller. The techno-thriller is really a very weird genre, because it focuses largely on things other than characterization, namely weapons, tactics, logistics, and strategy. When people read a techno-thriller, they really expect something believable, especially if it's set in near-modern times. In my mind, trying to take a zombie novel and make it "realistic" tries to push the genre from zombie (a subset of horror, really) into tech-thriller. The problem is, works like this (The movie 28 weeks later, the book Patient Zero, and especially especially the Battle of Yonkers in World War Z) tend to get wonky because trying to be realistic brings things into conflict. Pondering on guard, I concluded that there's three things that trip each other up: Realism, Plot, and Setting.

In my own example, I'm trying to work within the setting confines of 28 weeks later, although I'm allowing myself minor changes, I'm trying to present a great deal of Realism, with the Army being competent (while not sueish, which is helpful a great deal). However, to no small extent, if the Army is doing their job as well as I think we would, within the setting, there *wouldn't* be another outbreak, which means that I've got no plot to write about. Now, if I want the plot, I could either make the Army less competent (sacrificing realism like the movie) or change the setting (like making the Rage virus airborne or something, which makes it much less fanfictionish, thereby defeating the main purpose of the exercise).

Now, for actual purpose-built worlds for Techno-thrillers (including, to some extent hardish level sci-fi, which is often just focused like a techno-thriller), one can change the setting such that the plot will happen realistically. However, if you want to write a techno-thriller in a setting that's *not* tailor made for it (namely real life, or a setting following common zombie conventions), you're going to have problems getting both plot and realism to stay intact. I'm a big Tom Clancy fan (his works, not those written after his name no longer became his), but almost all of his books require really big suspensions of disbelief for the initial incident (Japan invades again? Conventional WWIII?), which I think is because his world tries to mimic ours.

Now, in my specific case, I think that I've found a way to keep my 28 weeks later fanfiction working, namely by making small concessions in every section (some effects of the Rage virus unmentioned in the movies, a slightly non-traditional plot structure, and by making the Army do some non-optimal, but understandable things [which I mitigated as much as possible, the Army won't be doing anything that isn't understandable, like locking a bunch of civies in a giant room secured with a bike lock and turning out all the lights])

I'm aiming to do at least one hour of writing a day (except Note-taking Mondays and Tuesdays, which will be editing day). I'll put stuff online on Wednesdays, just because I'm in the MWR when no one else is for oft interrupted Dark Tides session, so no one will bug me about the against-the-rules personal flash drive.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: May 31, 2011, 03:53:48 am »

Today's little slice of Iraq, hot showers.

Real, hard-stand latrines and showers with water heaters are a really big deal for morale anywhere you go. Around here, it's actually a fair bit of logistical work to keep them running. After all, even if it existed, we wouldn't trust the local water grid, so we truck all the water we use in. However, we keep it in big plastic tanks when no one is showering. Right now, this means that the bloody tanks are heating up to the ambient temperature or higher (and it's 108 right now). Attempting to take a shower works by turning one showerhead to full-cold, turning it off when it starts scalding you (3-4 seconds), scrubbing yourself, and moving down to the next shower stall to try to get more non-boiling water from there to rinse yourself off.

Yay Iraq?

Kandi Apple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: May 31, 2011, 08:05:04 am »

Hey

Just wanted to say thanks.  Thank you for your service. 

Peace & Laughter (and stay safe or give 'em hell)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: May 31, 2011, 11:42:33 am »

You're welcome, although, as this blog shows, I don't really do much, other than snark.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: May 31, 2011, 02:57:01 pm »

So? You may have to...

Anyway, your snark is always good too. There's something about the military which always makes the situations people in it end up in all the more funny.

As well, you add a human face to the military for the vast majority of us who have no actual interaction with them beyond the latest blurb on CNN.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: June 04, 2011, 05:00:28 am »

Meh. I've been in the suck all week, probably caused by having to break up my sleep time into two chunks. Pretty sure that even my quality of posting has been affected! *gasp*

Hopefully, it'll get better. Other than that, only real thing of note is that I drafted another short story. Might get around to writing it in the next few days.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: June 05, 2011, 11:40:43 am »

Woo! Out of teh suck! Nothing improves my mood more than getting back to doing real work with my crew again. And sleeping in the back of a truck.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 05, 2011, 03:36:04 pm »

Considering your training and specialty, what counts as real work to a tanker?  I hope it involves tanks.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: June 05, 2011, 07:11:24 pm »

Or would it be some of those LAVs that seem to be the main vehicle, at least according to the news?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: June 06, 2011, 05:19:51 am »

No, it means that I'm combat bar-tending again. It's still not actual tanker work, but at least it's doing missions and stuff.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: June 07, 2011, 06:15:09 am »

You might need to explain this one.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: June 07, 2011, 06:16:20 am »

I have no comment at the current time and will have none in the foreseeable future.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 106